GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,150
1 members and 1,149 guests
No Members online

Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
This is what I don't understand. Many NPC philanthropies DO address the needs of all cultures. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, illiteracy, etc all transend cultures.
if everyone thought like that...we'd all be IFC and NPC. there wouldn't be a need for anyone else.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Jennis-I guess that helping out comment was aimed for me! Here is a list of events we had during the month of November that promote education about multiculturalism:
(I copy-pasted a lot from my xanga, sorry if it looks funny):

November 30th, 2004.
DREAM CATCHER WORKSHOP: A workshop to learn about and how to make this popular but misunderstood item. 311C in the union at 6 pm. Please RSVP so we can make sure to have enough supplies!

Sponsored by AISU and the Lambda Chapter of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.

Indigenous Experiences as Migrant Workers:
Mesoamerican Indigenous people will speak about reasons coming to the USA and the daily struggles they face as migrant workers. Cosponsored by AISU.
Monday, November 22nd, 101 A SLB at 6 p.m.

The Lambda Chapter of
Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.,
presents:

A Taste of Russia

Russian Food Night! Monday, November 15th at 6:30 in the International Student Center, come one, come all! Join us in celebrating Russian culture by trying out foods typical to Russia, including borscht, pelmeni, blini, etc! Dance around to Russian pop music! Practice your Russian skills (da means yes, nyet means no-Russian classes at all levels are offerred at FSU)! Co-sponsored by the Russian Club at FSU, tickets are $5.

The Exquisite Ladies of the Lambda Chapter of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. present...

Upcoming Event:

ULALI and Red Hills Singers.
Ulali is a Native American singing trio known for their contemporary, Native American a capella music.

Performances held at Club Downunder. Monday November 8th. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.-Show starts at 7:01 p.m.

Co-hosted by American Indian Student Union,
FSU Women's Center and Ladies Misbehavior Society.

Hope this gives you all an idea of what we do...we try to host a variety of different events, from speakers to panel discussions to rallies, etc...
Old 12-03-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jwoods9 Send a message via Yahoo to jwoods9
Multicultural Sorority Member

I cannot speak for other organizations, but I tell you a little about my sorority and how it came to be a Multicultural GLO. In 1988 at Rutgers University, there were many different greek organizations. There were mainstream organizations (predominantly white), historicall black organizations and latino organizations. (Even when I pledged over 9 years ago, Omega Phi Chi Sorority, Inc. was the only multicultural sorority at Rutgers University.)

The Founding Mothers of my sorority are Latina, African-American and Asian, therefore they did not feel like the current organizations available were for them. Being that they are all minorities, they tended to affiliate more with the minority organizations, but wanted to be open to women of all backgrounds, not just minorities.

If you are familiar with mainstream and minority organizations, you know there is a huge difference in how their organizations are run and how new members are initiated. They even have separate National Councils, due to these differences. Therefore, these women were faced with a situation to which they felt the best way to rectify was to create a new organizations.

These women created a process and organization that brought together their diverse backgrounds and celebrated their differences. All of our chapters continue this tradition by working within their schools and communities to reach out to people of all backgrounds.

They hold educational programs, social functions and co-sponser events with all different kinds of cultural and non-cultural organizations. I have been a sister of Omega Phi Chi Sorority, Inc. for over 9 years now and am still involved with our undergraduate and alumnae sisters. I love our ever-expanding sisterhood and love learning about and getting to know my diverse sisters.

Omega Phi Chi Sorority, Inc.
Founded on Diversity!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
WELCOME to Greek Chat! I've seen Omega Phi Chi online but haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone. I don't know if any other members are on Greek Chat (correct me if I'm wrong) so I encourage you to bring your sisters!!!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
By the way, that Omega Phi Chi website is awesome from a design point of view.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Since nobody has posted from the Asian GLO point of view, I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

My sorority was founded in 1930 during a time when there were still many discriminatory laws against Asians and many hate crimes committed against Asians. Our founders were double minorities...they were women and they were Asian. They banded together to provide support for one another, to promote education, and to assist those in need.

While our philanthropies are broad and not specific to one race, we do have events that specifically promote Asian-American awareness.

We have had a conference on Asian-American history. At the conference, we had an Asian-American professor speak about the difficulties she had to face as a student, a sociology professor lead a discussion about why Asian-interest organizations are still needed today, and a presentation about the statistics of poverty and illiteracy amongst Asian in the US and how false the stereotypes of Asians are.

We had students sign a petition that there is a need and an interest for Asian-American courses. There are African-American and Hispanic-American literature and history classes. There are Asian literature and history classes. However, there were no classes about the racism and discriminatory laws Asian-American faced, the protests to get those laws off the books, the accomplishments of Asian-American activists and innovators, or the authors who write about the Asian-American experience. We took our petition to the dean and got an Asian-American literature class approved. We're still trying to get an Asian-American history class approved.

So I don't feel like MCGLO's, LGLO's, and AGLO's don't serve a purpose. Obviously, some people want something more broad. But I wanted something where I could learn more about my Asian heritage. And that's why I think all these organizations are important. Everyone is looking for something different. When someone comes on GC asking which GLO they should join, everyone always says to find the one that fits best. For some of us, that fit may be a MCGLO, LGLO, or AGLO.

ETA: If anyone is interested in learning more about the history of Asian-Americans, here's a good site. If you scroll down, they have timelines for different eras. http://us_asians.tripod.com/timeline.html

PSimissU

Last edited by SOPi_Jawbreaker; 12-03-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jwoods9 Send a message via Yahoo to jwoods9
Thanks PhoenixAzul!

Thank you, PhoenixAzul! The site could use a little updating, but we greatly appreciate your kind words!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

If there are multicultural/historically minority organizations on campus as well as NPC/NIC, do you think the latter two would less likely become diverse? Would you think that it is an issue? Is there a way to encourage minorities to go through recruitment at historically white organizations (HWOs)? I'm just asking because many HWOs want to diversify themselves, but often find it difficult.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
If there are multicultural/historically minority organizations on campus as well as NPC/NIC, do you think the latter two would less likely become diverse? Would you think that it is an issue? Is there a way to encourage minorities to go through recruitment at historically white organizations (HWOs)? I'm just asking because many HWOs want to diversify themselves, but often find it difficult.
My advice is always to encourage all Greeks on campus to get together and show the campus that each organization is wonderful in its own way AND that each organization supports the others. When Greeks are not united, you run into the "us against them" mentality. There will always be "minorities" who want the kinds of experiences and resources that only NPCs can provide. And there will always be "minorities" who are more attracted to the way mcglos/hlglos/haglos/hbglos/etc. present themselves and function.

It is not the responsibility of multicultural/historically minority organizations to assist NPC/NICs in recruitment or vice versa. But these orgs do have a responsibility to promote the entire Greek system for the sake of the positive future of the system.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually at my school the "Multi-cultuarl" GLOs,(we don't have any national MGLOs like TNX) but we do have locals that are multi cultural, and they are the least diverse orgs on campus.
I pledged one and 90% of my would-be sisters were Philipino. They practically begged me to join so I could help diversify them. hehe. The only caucasion person I met was an alum from 4 years earlier, and I met one African American Alum. It is the same with the other two local Multicultural chapters I can think of, they are mostly comprised of one race.
After that chapter didn't work out for me (for other reasons other than the lack of diversity.) I joined Phi Sig, and we are definitely diverse, as are the other two NPC chapters on my campus.
I think the problem is when people see a group of all one type of people they think "oh it's JUST for them." You have to find a way to let them know it's not just for that group or race, make sure they know they are welcome and can join.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
I have to admit it is an interesting thread... at least in trying to understand the emotions and pressures that led to the founding of some ethnic (or religious) GLOs... particularlly looking from a school & greek culture that is pretty embracing.

In the case of Fraternities here at UofT it is debatable whether the appearance of AEPi and APhiA made the other houses more or less diverse than if they hadn't appeared... however I am of the opinion that they have helped, as they have raised awareness of GLOs within communities that haven't had that great of a greek pressence before.

From the time when they both started up at my college, I have seen a greater awareness amongst both the student community and the faculty too... mainly because of the educational and community events that both orgs. have organized or hosted. While a minority of community feedback was negative the vast majority was positive and encouraging.

I have seen debates about whether either org. was "needed" on campus, considering the already diverse nature of the greeks as it was (and is). But both groups had some persuasive arguements for coming (or back) to UofT:

- in APhiA's case UofT was their Gamma Jewel (chapter) way back in 1908, so there was a historical imperative to restarting the chapter; other than the cultural arguement that black students didn't feel that they had ample options available to them in the greek culture (could be argued).
- in AEPi's case it could be easily argued that the existing GLO's didn't present a comfortable religious enviroment for Jewish students, being that most if not all GLOs are based on the Christian tradition; so there was a need goinging unfullfilled at UofT and AEPi filled it.. and rather well judging by the fact that their posted strength is about twice that of the Fraternity average here.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Rob,

Do you think that girls (at U of T, anyway) are less likely to feel uncomfortable being a minority? I'm asking this, since there are no longer any sororities that are historically "non white" or "non Christian" (I don't really think AOII counts as being "non-Christian" the same way as historically Jewish GLOs do)
Old 12-03-2004, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

???

Quote:
Rob,

(I don't really think AOII counts as being "non-Christian" the same way as historically Jewish GLOs do)

???
Old 12-03-2004, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: ???

Quote:
Originally posted by aopinthesky
???

Ummm, wasn't AOII founded because one girl wasn't given a bid because of her religious background?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: ???

Quote:
Ummm, wasn't AOII founded because one girl wasn't given a bid because of her religious background?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was Phi Sigma Sigma.