GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 810
0 members and 810 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a lab during one of the fraternities rush events?

Hello,
This particular fraternity that I am interested in has Formal Preference night (which is the last night of rush) during a lab that I have to go to.

Could I still attend the other rush events and possibly get a bid? Is missing this one event going to hinder me?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

If you don't let them know you have a lab and don't want to cut it, it certainly would negatively impact you. Have you ever heard of RSVPing an invite?????? RSVP and let them know....maybe you can drop by afterwards...
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

What Titchou and DeltaBetaBaby said. But to expand on that a little, it is possible to miss a preference night and still receive a bid. But it depends on the chapter and how your IFC rush is set up.

Have you been formally invited to the preference event? If so, contact the rush chair or chapter president (or the contact person on the invite) and let them know you have lab that night and that you are interested.

In general, for some chapters a “formal preference night” may be more of a formality (maybe required by the IFC). But the chapter may already know who they want to bid and the party is to seal the deal or maybe geared toward those men who may be undecided. In other words, you may not “have to” attend to receive a bid. But you will need to contact the rush chair (whomever) to let them know your situation.

Other chapters might only extend bids from the men who attend their preference event. Again, by contacting the rush chair, they might consider extending you a bid if they know the reason why you are unable to attend.

If you haven’t received an invite to the preference party yet, is there someone in the chapter (ideally a friend) you may talk with and let them know your situation? Hopefully, the member should be able to give you advice.

Finally, I am not advocating missing your lab, but if you are required to attend the preference party to receive a bid, check with the lab assistant (or whomever runs the lab) to see if you may miss your lab and attend a lab on a different date. For example, when I was an undergrad, some professors would allow us to make up a lab as long as we gave them advance notice that we would be missing our scheduled lab *and* they could fit us in one of their other labs.

Again, I am not advocating missing lab, but if the only way to secure a bid is to attend the preference party, then missing the lab may be something you may want to consider. But I would only recommend doing so if you felt it would do little or no harm to you academically. Again, attendance wasn't required in that lab I noted above. However, it was pretty much "necessary" to attend if you wanted to make a B or better in the class.

Best of luck.

Last edited by TSteven; 01-09-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Finally, I am not advocating missing your lab, but if you are required to attend the preference party to receive a bid, check with the lab assistant (or whomever runs the lab) to see if you may miss your lab and attend a lab on a different date. For example, when I was an undergrad, some professors would allow us to make up a lab as long as we gave them advance notice that we would be missing our scheduled lab *and* they could fit us in one of their other labs.
Oh, this is a good point. In the quarters I teach multiple sections of the same class, I sometimes let my students do this when they have student activity related conflicts. I generally figure that if athletes are, by university policy, allowed to miss my class altogether, other students should be allowed to occasionally attend a different section because of choral concerts or something.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Oh, this is a good point. In the quarters I teach multiple sections of the same class, I sometimes let my students do this when they have student activity related conflicts. I generally figure that if athletes are, by university policy, allowed to miss my class altogether, other students should be allowed to occasionally attend a different section because of choral concerts or something.
I really like your logic: it is fair and "honesty is the best policy".

To the original author of this thread: Ms. DeltaBetaBaby has a good idea: find out of there is another section(s) of the lab, possibly taught by the same instructor and see if you can attend that substitute section that one time.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh1 View Post
Hello,
This particular fraternity that I am interested in has Formal Preference night (which is the last night of rush) during a lab that I have to go to.

Could I still attend the other rush events and possibly get a bid? Is missing this one event going to hinder me?
I don't know what school you are at, nor am I privy to anyone's membership selection, but IN GENERAL, a group that wants you is not going to change their mind because you have an academic conflict. Just make sure to discuss it with the rush chair, because you want them to know that you are in lab, not ditching their party because you are uninterested.