GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,266
1 members and 2,265 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

"Elitism" at a Private College / University

Elitism in an organization that's somewhat similar to college / university GLOs: see the article in the Crimson:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...hasty-pudding/

This kind of elitism (wealth, private boarding school backgrounds, certain regions of the U.S.A., and so on) may be something that a few GCers are, or have been, aware of in Greek systems at other colleges and universities.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-15-2014, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Elitism in an organization that's somewhat similar to college / university GLOs: see the article in the Crimson:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...hasty-pudding/

This kind of elitism (wealth, private boarding school backgrounds, certain regions of the U.S.A., and so on) may be something that a few GCers are, or have been, aware of in Greek systems at other colleges and universities.
This was a good read. It noted that only one or two members were accepted who came from a household that was not attached to a wealthy private school. It makes me wonder if that person or persons without the wealth but, with good looks made the list. I mean, if you don't have the wealth, do you think the HPC would accept a person solely on looks? Brains? What?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 PM

It's not that kind of party. It's for Eastern Establishment kids. If you have the right name, you can be a bump on a log.

Personally, the only thing I think about when I hear Hasty Pudding Club is men dressing up as women.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Reminds me of the scene in The Lords of Flatbush where the four main characters are driving past an estate in CT. A beautiful girl is riding on a horse. One turns to the others and says something like "do you ever get the feeling there's an entire world out there we know nothing about?" (paraphrasing).

Well - yes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
do you think the HPC would accept a person solely on looks? Brains? What?
Nah. There are plenty of hot chicks (by Ivy standards) within the private school circle. They don't need to go outside to get good-looking people.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

And money can repair a lot of genetic flaws. You won't see a lot of gazillionaire girls with huge shnozzes or bad teeth, or 50 extra pounds for that matter. There are people to be paid for all of those problems.

For my general lack of enthusiasm for these kinds of schools, I think they make a concerted effort to bring diversity in all its forms to the student population every year. That this club basically has made no similar effort seems wildly out of touch. But on the other hand, who cares? To think that you have to be a rich Connecticut white guy to have all the best connections as you glide your way to the top of the corporate ladder is SOOOOO last century. Let all the cool kids can hang out somewhere else and leave the social inbreds to themselves.