GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,675
0 members and 2,675 guests
No Members online

Old 06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Hate your Commute? A few places not to live....

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Californians idle in the nation's worst traffic jams on interstates surrounding major metropolitan areas but they are far from alone -- 52 percent of these urban stretches of highways are congested, according to a new study released on Thursday.

Drivers in four lucky states enjoyed zero congestion: Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.

But one Midwestern state, Minnesota, and two East Coast states nearly matched California's sorry showing.

Some 83.33 percent of California's urban interstates are overcrowded, followed by Minnesota at 77.78 percent and New Jersey at 73.35 percent, according to the 16th annual survey by The Reason Foundation, a Los Angeles-based nonpartisan group.

Manhattan popularized the term "gridlock" but traffic jams on New York's urban interstates were only mediocre, ranking 37th at 53.39 percent, according to the libertarian-idea promoting group that compared volume-to-capacity ratios.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070628/...tates_roads_dc
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Hear on the radio North Carolina is 48th on the list, right above California. It's also 3rd from the bottom on those states who spent the most money on their roads. And, it's got the #1 fastest growing city in the nation (Raleigh) and the #3ish fastest growing county in the nation (Union).

I think NC government needs to wake up and smell the concrete. It shouldn't take me 30 min to get from I-77 to Pineville that's 5 miles away on 485, and then 15-20 minutes to get from Pineville to my exit that's about 20 miles away.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

We used to live in MA, and my husband had to get into Boston every day. We lived 36 miles from the city. Whether he took the train or drove, it was almost a 2-hour commute.

Driving, with the congestion and parking (30$ a day) was obviously tortuous, but the train faired no better - drive to the station (15 min), take the commuter rail in (1.5 hours), take the T (subway) 10-15 min, then walk a few blocks.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM
cutiepatootie

Some 83.33 percent of California's urban interstates are overcrowded...

ya think?! overcrowded is an understatement

Try being one of the 83.33 % of them having to deal with it on a daily basis ....its UGLY!!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing I don't miss AT ALL after moving from Houston TX to middle-of-nowhere TN - unless I get caught behind a tractor, I never have to deal with traffic!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
I commute in and out of DC everyday -- thanks to all the tourists (especially this time of year) it's brutal.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Having lived in several states.... I do think DC wins for worst traffic and the most confusing roads.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Having lived in several states.... I do think DC wins for worst traffic and the most confusing roads.
I haven't actually lived in as many states as you, but I definitely agree that DC wins for the most confusing roads. Even worse, once you "break the code", try to explain it to someone else! I can't stand Pierre L'Enfante....
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

the commute was a MAJOR factor in my decision to leave my last job. add to that the insanity that it cost just as much to drive & park as it did to take public transpo!!! lose-lose situation. It just wasn't worth it. I now have a 25-minute drive opposite most traffic, and FREE parking. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
Driving, with the congestion and parking (30$ a day) was obviously tortuous, but the train faired no better - drive to the station (15 min), take the commuter rail in (1.5 hours), take the T (subway) 10-15 min, then walk a few blocks.
substitute a transfer (or 2) on the Metro (subway) for commuter rail in the sentence above, this sounds JUST LIKE my previous commute into DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDAngel View Post
I commute in and out of DC everyday -- thanks to all the tourists (especially this time of year) it's brutal.
also forget about grabbing a quick lunch if you work near the mall or any of the attractions.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
kd...agreed....when I first moved here...i worked in alexandria so u know what kind of pain it was to drive from Upper Marlboro thru dc AND across 395....in the morning it wasn't so bad...but after 5pm coming home.....a 30 min trip took an hr to 1.5 hrs if someone decided to crash....NOW I work right downtown and it's one easy 40 min ride on the metro PLUS not having to buy gas every 2 days
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Cosign to that. I'm interning downtown in Georgetown (who by the way needs to get over their fear of attracting "the wrong sort" and get a metro stop) and I definitely thought I was going to pass out on my way home on the metro yesterday . I've lived in either DC or the DC metro area my entire life and ridden public transportation the for all that time and I have never been on a more croweded train than the one I was going home on yesterday. The stupid tourists made it worse by standing in the doorways not grasping the concept that if you don't "stand clear of the doors" they won't close! No joke we were stopped at Farragut North for upwards of five minutes. If I'd been closer I would've pushed someone out -it was absurd! And, to top everything off, there was no AC on the train. In 98 degree weather. I thought at first it was just so ridiculously hot because of all the people but I ride to Medical Center so I quickly realized, once the people started to thin out, that no, in fact there was no air coming in whatsoever. Oh D.C. -fix your trains!!!
Phew. Just had to get that off my chest. My ride in this morning was much more pleasant. Maybe it's just cause people we're sweaty yet
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer16 View Post
The stupid tourists made it worse by standing in the doorways not grasping the concept that if you don't "stand clear of the doors" they won't close! No joke we were stopped at Farragut North for upwards of five minutes.
The trains here in SF have bars by the doors that you can push on to open the doors as well as the sensors that keep them open if someone is in the doorway. People will stand there thinking it's "not them" keeping the door open because they are technically out of the door way, but their dumbass is leaning on the bar that keeps the door open.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Cosign to that. I'm interning downtown in Georgetown (who by the way needs to get over their fear of attracting "the wrong sort" and get a metro stop) and I definitely thought I was going to pass out on my way home on the metro yesterday . I've lived in either DC or the DC metro area my entire life and ridden public transportation the for all that time and I have never been on a more croweded train than the one I was going home on yesterday. The stupid tourists made it worse by standing in the doorways not grasping the concept that if you don't "stand clear of the doors" they won't close! No joke we were stopped at Farragut North for upwards of five minutes. If I'd been closer I would've pushed someone out -it was absurd! And, to top everything off, there was no AC on the train. In 98 degree weather. I thought at first it was just so ridiculously hot because of all the people but I ride to Medical Center so I quickly realized, once the people started to thin out, that no, in fact there was no air coming in whatsoever. Oh D.C. -fix your trains!!!
Phew. Just had to get that off my chest. My ride in this morning was much more pleasant. Maybe it's just cause people we're sweaty yet

tiny how about the fact that the tourists dont understand the concept of escalator travel

right is u gonna ride down...left side if u gonna walk down?

GRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...and dont let it be that happy family of 5 at rush hr....that's asking to get trampled if u are in the way....
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I've gotta co-sign on everyone with DC. My dad commuted from Woodbridge to Bethesda for two years and finally had enough. It took him 2.5 hours to get home...even using HOV and working from 6 am - 3 pm. Don't even bother getting on the Metro to commute on the Yellow or Blue lines during rush hour...be prepared to get really friendly with your fellow passengers.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
tiny how about the fact that the tourists dont understand the concept of escalator travel

right is u gonna ride down...left side if u gonna walk down?
Omigosh, I think I say "stand right, walk left" at least 2x every time I take the metro when I'm in a rush. I just hate when the person front of me IS walking, if you want to be technical about it, but is going at the speed of a snail. It drives me mad!

Quote:
Cosign to that. I'm interning downtown in Georgetown
OK fellow Kappa Delta, we should hang out sometime. I work in the Watergate complex (well at least that's where my office, I'm on the Hill most of the time), right beside Gtown. I'd love to meet another KD in the area (before my first AA event next month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
also forget about grabbing a quick lunch if you work near the mall or any of the attractions.
Seriously! When I'm on the Hill (again, I'm there most of the time), lunch is either out of the question or I have to have a lot of spare time to get to where I want to go and wait around as all the other Hill staffers are trying to eat too. No fun!
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.