GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 952
3 members and 949 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

USC (California) Recruitment Change

For fall 2007, NPC sorority recruitment at USC will be changed to avoid conflicts with classes. Rportedly, recruitment will be the Sunday and Monday of Labor Day weekend and the following Friday through Sunday. See school paper article for more details:

http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/med...-2759484.shtml
Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Panhellenic has always excused potential new members if they have a class conflict and you give them your schedule," said Debbie Liu, PHC recruitment vice president. "We don't tolerate cutting class, but we have found out that girls are skipping class anyway to get their nails done and get ready before rush."
Lordy. And that's the perspective of a Panhellenic officer.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

But the new rush scheduling also poses some problems, such as increased possibility of "dirty rushing," or rushing girls outside of organized rush events, said Teresa Sakai, a freshman majoring in psychology who joined a sorority last semester.

"It will be hard for active members to not talk to potential new members during that week-long period," Sakai said.

Seriously, it's called "watch yourself". Obviously, if you see you have a class with a PNM and she says Hi, well duh say hi back and if for some reason she wants to discuss recruitment you say "I'm sorry, I am unable to discuss recruitment outside the recruitment time frame" (or something like that). If you are in a group with a PNM you only talk about your classwork. There is a difference between respecting the PNM in class and talking about classwork and dirty rushing (at least in my mind).

I really like how Panhel said they were going to educate chapters on dirty rushing.

I would hope that the sorority members would watch what they say because if Panhel found out about a dirty rushing incident, WOW that would be a huge rush infraction. (And not knowing rush infractions I don't know what would happen to the chapter/sister)

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

It also helps if the Rho Gammas/Rho Chis/whatever tell their PNMs that sorority members are not to discuss recruitment with them. I wish I would have known why members I had classes with were being so standoff-ish.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We were usually told to let our sophomore or junior friends who were rushing that we wouldn't be able to talk with them like we usually did once school started. So most of them knew already. It was always funny to see girls who forgot and after all summer ran up to try and give a hug in the middle of the student union building "OOH HII, _____! It's great to see you, how was your summer!??!!" Then when they remembered (or were reminded discreetly) they would get all embarassed and exclaim "oh my gosh! I'm sorry! uh, see yah?" LOL. I always felt bad for them, but it made me laugh.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
But the new rush scheduling also poses some problems, such as increased possibility of "dirty rushing," or rushing girls outside of organized rush events, said Teresa Sakai, a freshman majoring in psychology who joined a sorority last semester.

"It will be hard for active members to not talk to potential new members during that week-long period," Sakai said.

Seriously, it's called "watch yourself". Obviously, if you see you have a class with a PNM and she says Hi, well duh say hi back and if for some reason she wants to discuss recruitment you say "I'm sorry, I am unable to discuss recruitment outside the recruitment time frame" (or something like that). If you are in a group with a PNM you only talk about your classwork. There is a difference between respecting the PNM in class and talking about classwork and dirty rushing (at least in my mind).

I really like how Panhel said they were going to educate chapters on dirty rushing.

I would hope that the sorority members would watch what they say because if Panhel found out about a dirty rushing incident, WOW that would be a huge rush infraction. (And not knowing rush infractions I don't know what would happen to the chapter/sister)
We were told to definitely watch ourselves and DO NOT HAVE prolonged conversation with a PNM because if someone saw that in public and they had it out for you, they could tell the Office of Greek Life and it MIGHT be considered dirty rushing.

Also, you have to watch Facebook. If you were not friends with the PNM before she was a PNM, you SHOULDN'T Facebook friend her until AFTER Bid Day, even if she friends you first.