GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,230
0 members and 2,230 guests
No Members online

Old 04-18-2000, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Still an issue in Black America?

A feature in this month's Ebony magazine raises the question: Is Skin Color Still an Issue in Black America?

One author stated, "I think people who look less African are more likely to make White Americans more comfortable to be around."

Norma Solomon White, supreme basileus of AKA says we need to put skin color behind us. "It is not as much of an issue as it was many, many, years ago... I think that the few people who feel that you have to look a certain way are in the minority."

I heard our National President gave her opinion also. I don't have the actual magazine here, so if anyone does, how did she reply?

Cultural experts say how Michael Jordan's image and Tyson Beckford's image have changed the way many African-Americans view color and beauty and find out why Black men are less hung up on color than they used to be.

For those of you who have read the article, do you agree or disagree and why?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-18-2000, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

whether or not we want it to be we as a people are still very color struck. we have very definite ideas about what it means to be dark or light skinned. light skin equals stuck up and pretty or stuck up because you're pretty. if it were not so, people would not still metion one another in terms of color ie 'red' 'yellow' etc. not pick on the aka's but in many step shows i have seen down south, they have their girls shake their hair throughout the entire show. why? even some Delta chapters are notorious for only taking light-skinned girls. sad but true.
Old 04-18-2000, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings Sorors and Friends,
I have been following this forum for a while now but this topic inspired me to respond. I too read the recent article in last month's Ebony magazine. It was nice to see intelligent dialogue on this topic, as it seems to still rear its ugly head within our community.

In addition, it was interesting to note the different contributors chosen to give comments on the issue. I think that as members of BGLOs it is our responsibility to lead the fight against this type of bias we inflict upon our communities and ourselves. I know that many of us have seen or heard problems/situations surrounding the "color" issue and, regardless of a person's respective hue, the issues still arise. As I think about our illustrious sisterhood and the other great BGLOs that make up the "Divine Nine" I think that we can lead the change in this area. By embracing the beauty of our race with all of its shapes, sizes and colors, we can rise above these 'simple' issues. By focusing on our accomplishments as a collective rather than looking at the physical appearance of individuals we can move away from the division this issue creates.

However, it is one thing for us to discuss this issue but we must also be proactive in trying to combat it. We can do that through mentoring our youth and being positive role models. We as progressive, civic-minded people must de-emphasize our preoccupation with skin color and focus on developing and fostering the self-esteem of the next generation.

I know that my post is getting long so I will stop rambling now. But I really enjoyed the article and I like the fact that the leaders of BGLOs are on one accord in regards to this issue (and people say we don't get along). If we ALL stay inspired with the spirit of our Founders, we can overcome this issue within our community and carry out their vision in the new millennium.
Old 04-19-2000, 09:25 AM
c&c1913

Skin color still plays a part in our society especially in the small texas town I live in. I have a cousin who is very light skin and is mistaken as being half-white/ half-black or just totally white. But sometimes her personality isn't very friendly and when other black people see this side of her, they would make remarks such as "she shouldn't act that way because she could use her skin color as an advantage." So this is still a problem that probably won't go away because the media and music videos focus on Vanessa Williams- type looks. But African models such as Alex Wek are providing the image, especially to young women with short hair and dark skin, that they can be considered beautiful as well.
Old 04-21-2000, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Yes, it's still sad but true about this issue amongst African Americans that just won't go way. I do think it has gotten a little better but I know for a fact that some of our people are still colorstruck. It all started in slavery to be used as a division tool to break up the unity of our people in the first place (you know the house/field thing). I feel that if we as African Americans keep in dialogue about this issue by communicating (not hating)and actually listened, we can to heal the wounds left from such silliness that has tried to break our spirits as a race. I'm glad to see that magazines such as Ebony and this forum are challenging us to address this issue which clearly still exists. Black is beautiful and I'm talking about all the hues that make up our race. Peace.
And OOOOO-OP! TO MY SORORS OF DST!

[This message has been edited by sqsred (edited April 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by sqsred (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old 05-04-2001, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

This issue makes me sooo sad. The other day, I was talking to my cousin who is SIX years old, and she was telling me how she didn't think she was cute because she wasn't light skinned. Now my cousin is adorable (and I'm not being biased) but this was very disheartening. I couldn't beleive at such a young age, she was already caught up in the color complex issues some people have. Besides, at six, she shouldn't be worried with how pretty she is, she should be having fun. What kind of message are we sending today's youth???
Old 05-04-2001, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

It is sad. I know my feelings about my color began as a fiarly small child- 6 or 7. My mom used to always buy me two baby dolls- the white on and the Black one because I cognitively knew I was Black but I resembled the white doll more. Crazy world.

My very best friend is a beautiful dark skinned woman who also struggled with feelings about her color. How cathartic for us both to realize that we had similar feelings but on opposite ends of the color spectrum.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Growing up in Brooklyn I had the opposite
effect. I always had to prove that I was black. When I was little I was light skinned,with long curly hair. I was called
oreo reverse(white outside,black inside)Puerto Rican,hey I thought it meant light skinned black person, I was 10 years old at the time.By the 8th grade I was so pro Black
I wanted to change my name to Angela Joanne
Davis Chesimard. Then I realized that you either liked me for me or the hell with you. People still sometimes come up to me and speak spanish, but I just say "I am trying to speak better so please talk to me in English".
Old 05-04-2001, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I try to just charge it to ignorance, but it's sad that some people still make this an issue. What makes me upset is when a guy will stop me and say I'm "pretty... for a dark-skinned girl." WTF? People will always be ignorant, no matter WHAT shade you are. It all comes down to being comfortable with who you are and loving yourself.
Old 05-05-2001, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so proud, my search worked!

Just the other day I was walking down the street in my own world and some man started to talk to me. I was not ignoring him, I was just in my own space and did not notice. I did notice when he answered my silence with "What? You too light and saddity to tlk to a dark skinned bruva?"

I am very, VERY fair (like the other psot said- mistaken for mixed or sometimes just White) and as a child my shyness was often interpreted as being stuck up over being light. Ironically, I spent my whole childhood wishing I would wake up and be dark. They would assume I was stuck up becasue I was light. I still get it. I get the hey red and the why are you a Delta? You LOOK like an AKA. They're the lgiht ones and y'all are the dark ones. WTF???? To me, that is an insult to both organizations.

I do think Black Americans are still color struck. To me, the popularity of Tyrese and Tyson are part of the same phenomenon. I mean we turn our complexion into a fashion statement. You can see trends over time of a complexion being "in". How twisted is that? Of all the things to make a trend. And one that you cannot change at all and can do damage to one's psyche.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrooklynDread:
Growing up in Brooklyn I had the opposite
effect. I always had to prove that I was black. When I was little I was light skinned,with long curly hair. I was called
oreo reverse(white outside,black inside)Puerto Rican,hey I thought it meant light skinned black person, I was 10 years old at the time.By the 8th grade I was so pro Black
I wanted to change my name to Angela Joanne
Davis Chesimard. Then I realized that you either liked me for me or the hell with you. People still sometimes come up to me and speak spanish, but I just say "I am trying to speak better so please talk to me in English".
I was/am very pro-Black and was down right militant for a time,too, as an attempt to prove my Blackness. It did take maturing and learning to love me for me to start to make a difference in how other people's ignorance affected me.

I still get you have to be Puerto Rican all the time!
Old 05-08-2001, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I wrote an article about this topic for my school's newpaper last year. Skin color issues are still very prevalent in our community. It's sad that some of us still use color as a way of separating ourselves. I had a friend in high school who was a part of a clique called the "Caramels", because they were all caramel complected. I'm dark-skinned and I've had people tell me that I have "nice features, for a dark-skinned person." I can't believe the nerve of some people. Do they think that is a compliment? I just wish people would think before they speak, that way a lot fewer ignorant comments would be made.

------------------
For tomorrow is not promised, so don't forget to live for today!
Old 05-08-2001, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Yes still an issue definitely. I unfortunately have a bit of an issue with it myself. I completely find light-skinned men a turn off. Dunno why just do. I have to pray about that. I agree with RShonda I completely hate it when people tell Darkskinned women they are cute to be dark! My sister is dark and my sands is to and people say that to them and it makes me so mad like dark women are not beautiful. Ignorance, I swear!

------------------
#4 Whispers
Nu Eta Citywide Collegiate chapter.

"Unite to turn America around and stand invincible in the rightousness of our convictions" "If not us who, and if not now, when?"-Mona Humphries Bailey
Old 05-08-2001, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MaNessa
As Africian Americans we still have a lot of issues to deal with within our communities. Skin color being one. It is still an issue. When I was growing up there was one tv show that had a Black woman it was "Julia",there were no black dolls or pictures or anything in magazines except Jet and Ebony that showed Black people.
In my family we run the gamet of shades of black from light to dark. How we view others begans at home, I was always empowered by my mother to feel beautiful, and proud of myself as a black person. I believe the sting of slavery has effected/affected our race in the area of skin color horribily, cause it caused division among us then and still does today.
With all the advertisements showing us, we are or at least some who remember what it use to be like find some joy in seeing reflections of themselves, regardless of the shade.
It's a problem, we still have people crossing the color line everyday, because they are treated so bad by some of us because they are light.
I will end on that because there are so many thoughts going through my head I could probably write a short book

[This message has been edited by MaNessa (edited May 08, 2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Angry

Yes, it is still apparent, look at the ads on tv!

Will it change? I don't think so.