GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,325
0 members and 2,325 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2002, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a rush/pledge process?

Hi! This message is mainly for prospectiverushee, but anyone can answer!
If we want to join Beta Sigma Phi as adults (I'm going to be 23), do we have to go through a rush and pledge process? Do we get bids, or is membership open to anyone?
Lynn
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2002, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger
Re: Is there a rush/pledge process?

Quote:
Originally posted by chasm_lynn
Hi! This message is mainly for prospectiverushee, but anyone can answer!
If we want to join Beta Sigma Phi as adults (I'm going to be 23), do we have to go through a rush and pledge process? Do we get bids, or is membership open to anyone?
Lynn

Lynn

Let me welcome you to the Beta board! I thought about posting to both your topics but thought that would be a little redundant. Anyway, I have an answer to your question. Beta is a continuous process. By that I mean, if you were 102 and decided you wanted to join, you could. I am also 23 (little closer to 24 though) and I'm a pledge with my new chapter here in Baton Rouge, LA. When you get invited to join the sorority, there is a 6 month pledge period. You will learn about the history of the organization and the unique things about your chapter in particular. Beta isn't like any other sorority I've ever come in contact with. Members stay active and never go on "alum" status. There are different progressions for the years that you are in Beta and this makes it all the more fun and interesting.

Now on to the other question posted. Like prospective said, the website is a great place to start collecting information. The main person that you will have contact with is Keri Marshall. She's our membership director at international. She will give you name to the city council around the area you are at and they in turn will give your name to different chapters. It's a slow process, but well worth it. As I said earlier, it's a lifelong thing so you have many years to look forward to being with sisters in Beta.

If you have any more questions that you think I can help you with feel free to email me or leave me a message here on greekchat. My email is cute_cajun_lady@hotmail.com.

Berny
Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Lynn,

I'd just like to add that different chapters have different requirements to. I know some of the chapters here in the Trinity Valley City Council(North Dallas) require that you attend 2 meetings plus a social before they extend you an invitation.

As for "rush", I've been to a rush party for one of the chapters in the Dallas City Council. All it was a pizza party where we played games and I got to meet some of the ladies from that chapter. Then I went to a luncheon sponsored by the Dallas City Council. That was really neat. They put on a program about Beta Sigma Phi thur the ages and lots of chapters put on skits. I got to meet some more ladies of a new chapter that's just a year old.

Then by crusing the website, I found out about the Trinity Valley City Council. I emailed one of the contact people and have been invited to numerous events,but due to my work schedule,I couldn't attend. Recentlly, my schedule changed and I was able to attend the monthly Council meeting. I met so many nice women. I was kind of nervous too cause I thought it was a "closed" meeting. But the ladies made me feel so at ease and at home. After that meet,the board took my name and number and will give it out to the different chapters in the council.
I also got a phone call from a Dallas City Council member inviting me to a rush they are having March 23rd.

So you see Lynn,rush is not really all that scary. It's just a chance for you to meet some of the chapters and the chapters to meet you. And they really work with you about your schedule. They have been most understanding and supportive with me about my ever changing work schedule. It's a very wonderful organization and I can't wait till I'm extended an invitation for membership.

Anyway keep us posted about your process. There are only 3 of us that post regularly to this board,but I think it more relaxed and friendly that way. Plus I like the fact that there's another person starting the process with me.