GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 835
3 members and 832 guests
naraht, Titchou

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Registration for Florida State 2013 Fall Recruitment Announced

Panhellenic Association at Florida State University

We are proud to announce that 2013 Formal Recruitment registration will open April 8th, one month from today!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you by any chance know the dates for recruitment? I know that classes begin Aug 26th and I am hoping that recruitment starts the weekend before. Any info would be appreciated!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Recruitment is traditionally the week prior to classes starting, with Bid Day either Saturday or Sunday before the first day of class.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you sooo much FSUZeta. My daughter will be participating in recruitment and is so excited. She spends so much time on Pinterest finding the right look for her as well as for her dorm room! I'm excited as well as my greek affiliation has a chapter at FSU. Things have really changed since I pledged back in the 80's lol. Do you know if parents can be there for bid day? I would love to be there even if it is across the street with my camera ))
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Ordinarily FSU doesn't do the parent thing like schools such as Auburn or Bama. Some alumnae may be at the houses to assist, but they are most often chapter advisors and local alumnae. Of course, no one can stop you from being across the street with a camera-lol! When my daughter rushed (at a college out of state) I was able to check with some of the local alumnae to see if mothers attended bid day, and was told that typically they did not, so I stayed home. I did attend her initiation though!

Most sororities do hold a tailgate, brunch or bar-b-que a few weeks later during parents weekend and you definitely should attend that-and the football game! Parents weekend will be designated on the FSU football schedule-it may already be for all I know.

FSU Greek Life will have a digital "Meet the Greeks" sort of magazine later in the semester or sometime during the early summer. The link is usually provided on the Greek Life webpage. It is very well done and you and your daughter will learn a lot about the parties and FSU greek life in general. She really can't go wrong at FSU. Good luck to her, and please let us know how everything goes.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

UPDATE from Florida State University panhellenic:

2013 formal recruitment registration will be open THIS coming Monday, April 8th at 9am!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Formal recruitment dates are August 18-25.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Junior..?

I will be a Junior at Florida State this fall. I started at FSU in the spring of my Freshman year, and wanted to wait for the full fall recruitment so I could get to know which sorority I would feel the most at home in. I decided to focus on academics my Sophomore year, and make sure I really knew myself and had a good GPA before I decided to rush. Now I’m worried that it is too late. I understand that FSU has an upperclassman quota – how will that benefit me? I do not want to miss out on the wonderful experience, and hope it’s not to late for me yet! I plan on rushing this fall – any advice? Thank you
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Get recommendations for each sorority. Be open minded and roll with the punches-even if you have just one invitation, accept the invitation and go to the party-it only takes one and you can only receive one bid, so why not?

Alpha Omicron Pi will be colonizing this fall. It is not any easier avenue to a bid- even though a colony usually wants an assortment of new members from freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors-but it is an added opportunity this year at FSU.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Get recommendations for each sorority. Be open minded and roll with the punches-even if you have just one invitation, accept the invitation and go to the party-it only takes one and you can only receive one bid, so why not?

Alpha Omicron Pi will be colonizing this fall. It is not any easier avenue to a bid- even though a colony usually wants an assortment of new members from freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors-but it is an added opportunity this year at FSU.
I'm glad to hear AOPi will be returning to FSU. They've been gone for almost 35 years. Now we just need AXiD and SK to come back and we'll have all the chapters we had back in the late 60's before we went full on hippie days and lost those three along with Alpha Phi.

That said, FSU is just not the kind of campus where the parents (Mothers, actually) group by the hundreds to see if their daughters get the house they "should" join. We're far more southern than some realize, but we're not THAT obsessed. It would be uncool. And we're all about cool.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I'm glad to hear AOPi will be returning to FSU. They've been gone for almost 35 years. Now we just need AXiD and SK to come back and we'll have all the chapters we had back in the late 60's before we went full on hippie days and lost those three along with Alpha Phi.

That said, FSU is just not the kind of campus where the parents (Mothers, actually) group by the hundreds to see if their daughters get the house they "should" join. We're far more southern than some realize, but we're not THAT obsessed. It would be uncool. And we're all about cool.
Yes and yes. It would also be great to have Tri Sigma back. FSU lost Tri Sigma in the late 70's-Sigma Delta Tau is in their house. I hope FSU will continue to expand and all three can return.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post

What exactly does this mean? Do you mean find someone for each sorority to write you a recommendation? How seriously do they take you if you don't have one for their sorority? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby2017 View Post
What exactly does this mean? Do you mean find someone for each sorority to write you a recommendation? How seriously do they take you if you don't have one for their sorority? Thanks!
Recommendations are personal references from a sorority alumna. Each organization has an official rec form containing information about a PNM's activities, academics, etc. The alumna will want to include a photo of the PNM as well. Some may choose to write a letter personally recommending the PNM for membership.

As a PNM, you should be asking around - teachers, co-workers, etc. - to see if any of them are or know any sorority alumnae. Then contact the alumna and politely ask if she would consider writing a rec for you. You will need to provide her with a resume, transcript and photo. This should be done for every sorority with a chapter on your campus. A nice touch is to provide envelopes with postage so that the alumna does not need to fork out her own funds to pay for this favor to you. Also, it is appreciated to send each alumna who wrote a rec for you a thank you note after recruitment letting her know whether or not you pledged. They won't be upset if you didn't pledge or if you pledged a different sorority.

Membership selection is private, but not having a rec may eliminate you from consideration at some chapters and some schools. At FSU it is HIGHLY recommended that each PNM have a rec for each chapter.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi everyone! I just had a few q's about 2013 rush at fsu and I didn't see a thread about it. I'm a new member though so maybe I'm just not searching right lol

I'm rushing as a sophomore and I've managed to secure two recs which I'm so proud about! But I'm a little nervous about my GPA. My first semester was really tough for me and I ended with a terrible GPA but I managed to kick butt this year and raised my GPA a ton and even got very involved (lots of leadership positions). However my fsu GPA is not a 3.0 but above a 2.75 (sorry I'm being so ambiguous! I've just heard that sorority girls do lots of stalking and I don't want them to possibly recognize me from this post!)

What I'm basically asking is will this hurt me significantly? Even though I've had lots of involvement and have, I think, a very amiable personality?

Another q I had was a money one. Sororities cost and even though I think that the dues are very reasonable considering everything, I'm worried about how I will be able to afford membership. One of my sorority suite mates says that there's scholarships and financial aid but she didn't go into any details and I just wanted to know if anyone here knew how the financial aid worked and if it really helped or was it minimal? (The scholarship process I assume is just like any other. And may I clarify, I don't mean to sound ungrateful by saying "minimal." Any aid is helpful but with some dues being $2500+ the 1st semester, a financial aid award of $200-300 is barely a dent.)

Thank you so much for any help everyone! Being the only person in my family to ever go Greek and having only one Greek friend (my old suite mate who is very hush hush!) I really need some help!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking for only my GLO, you must have at least a 3.0 GPA to apply for a scholarship..and most that are awarded (in the spring for the following school year) are awarded to women with very high GPAs, like 3.8 or better. Financial aid is awarded on a case-by-case basis, and often involves life altering issues like cancer or natural disasters.

In my opinion, based on your information and questions, Greek Life at FSU may be a stretch for you. I never try to talk someone out of going Greek, but I think the possibility of a scholarship or financial aid is something that you should not count on. The FSU Greek system is huge...and I am willing to bet that the dues and social fees, meal plans, etc. are much higher than a system where the average chapter size is 50 and they don't have houses.