GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,282
1 members and 1,281 guests
acg233

Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Line Caps

Should a university be able to tell an organization how many members they may accept? In BGLOs, this is known informally as a "line cap."

I know NPC orgs have something similar.... I forget the term.

Has any NIC org heard of this?

I don't agree with a university telling an organization how many members they can take. I think it penalizes the organizations -- why be punished if your org is doing everything right and attracts more qualified people than the rest?

I know NPC members have a different philosophy on this generally, so please understand that essentially I'm not talking to you, LOL. Love you, though! LOL..... but seriously, NPC members can respond if they want.

(PS - I am aware that there is another thread on this topic, but I wanted a greater breadth of contemporary responses from NPHC and non-NPHC members.)

Last edited by Senusret I; 03-28-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I've always wondered what the reasons were for university imposed caps. What are they trying to control?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I know NPC orgs have something similar.... I forget the term.
Quota (During Rush # you can take, regardless of your total #)/Total (The number you can COB up to if you're under)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Quota (During Rush # you can take, regardless of your total #)/Total (The number you can COB up to if you're under)
Does the university determine this # or does the local NPC come up with the #?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpitome1920 View Post
Does the university determine this # or does the local NPC come up with the #?
The local NPC, based on "Green Book" guidelines and campus history.

I don't know if a PUBLIC university can force a cap - due to freedom of association rules, but I think a private university can do whatever it wants in that regard.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've always wondered what the reasons were for university imposed caps. What are they trying to control?
Glad to see you back, and congratulations.

I have always wondered what they were trying to control as well. I could understand BETTER if the "quota" (thanks AlphaFrog!) was set to ten or 15, but when you set the line cap at 75 and make it an NPHC-wide rule, it really ever only affects two organizations. And that's no slight to ANY other NPHC organization, but it just seems like if your org has 300-400 interested girls and you can only pick 75, that's just not fair.

And if your org has a legacy stipulation, then you're really screwed.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The local NPC, based on "Green Book" guidelines and campus history.

I don't know if a PUBLIC university can force a cap - due to freedom of association rules, but I think a private university can do whatever it wants in that regard.
Interesting.

As a slight tangent..... I know that Title IX affects just about all universities, public and private, because the great majority have students on some kind of federal financial aid program.

I wonder if freedom of association could be applied to private universities for the same reason/loophole.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Well aren't our organizations allowed on campus at the leisure of the univ./college?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well aren't our organizations allowed on campus at the leisure of the univ./college?
I'm sure I've read that at a public uni. they can't deny your right to be there, but they can make it as difficult as possible to get recognition, etc...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Interesting.

As a slight tangent..... I know that Title IX affects just about all universities, public and private, because the great majority have students on some kind of federal financial aid program.

I wonder if freedom of association could be applied to private universities for the same reason/loophole.
A private u doesn't have to recognize GLOs (or any organization). However, if they deny their students the right to belong to an organization that meets off campus, that's where they get into Freedom of Association trouble.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Short answer -- no.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm sure I've read that at a public uni. they can't deny your right to be there, but they can make it as difficult as possible to get recognition, etc...
Gotcha. I was just thinking that since our membership isn't open to all students (meaning you have to be more than just a degree seeking student) they could deny our presence.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Should a university be able to tell an organization how many members they may accept? In BGLOs, this is known informally as a "line cap."
I honestly just don't see why the university would care. I can understand why the organizations themselves would impose restrictions, but not the university. I don't see schools doing that with other types of student groups, so what's the justification?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Glad to see you back, and congratulations.

I have always wondered what they were trying to control as well. I could understand BETTER if the "quota" (thanks AlphaFrog!) was set to ten or 15, but when you set the line cap at 75 and make it an NPHC-wide rule, it really ever only affects two organizations. And that's no slight to ANY other NPHC organization, but it just seems like if your org has 300-400 interested girls and you can only pick 75, that's just not fair.

And if your org has a legacy stipulation, then you're really screwed.
Which is one of the reasons we don't have a legacy stipulation.

The cap thing is interesting. I know Howard use to put a cap of 50 on a line (and maybe they have reinstated that,) but it didn't seem a problem because Alpha Chapter didn't select that many anyway--on their own.

IMO if you are as selective as you should be, then a cap does not matter.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think university caps make sense unless it is about the scarcity of resources or something of that nature.

I definitely think Delta should have line caps.