GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 902
3 members and 899 guests
Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 04-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Psycho/Stalker PNM's?!

Hey guys! Just your friendly neighborhood New Member w/ another question.Anybody ever met a PNM or friend who was just a little too overzealous about your sorority? Or a PNM who stalked you or something. One of my sis (active) has a friend who has COB'd here @ Sigma and been cut 3 times.

She was cut for grades each time. She's best friends w/ a sis so she's around all the time, which is fine. But she refers to herself as "an honorary Sigma" and even asks to wear our date party shirts, etc.

She was at the house the day of our carwash and my sis said she almost blew a gasket when her friend came out to help wash cars in HER bid day letters!!! She even wont go out w/ some of us, b/c "drinking whether you're in letters or not disrespects Sigma" She says she wants to "represent us well".

Being new, I actually thought she was a sister. She was @ Sigma everytime I was, and talked about our events more than some sisters did, and even cried talking about how "jealous" she was of me and my pledge sis.

Anybody else have an experience w/someone who is just a bit too obsessed with your org (to the point of weird behavior)?

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

HAHAHAHHAHA

My lil'Bro who was dinged for being a weirdoh/disrespectful pledge. Man he could not get it_we did not like him; and we gave him an explanation. To me that was very nice of us alittle to nice. He would follow any member in the quad around. Jeez, he even followed my ex-girlfriend around trying to find secrets out, what secrets is what I'm wondering. Also, he claimed to have different names and lives, sh#@t he was a mad man.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone needs to tell that girl to get a life. If she's rushed 3 times and she still hasn't gotten the bid, it's not going to happen. I don't agree with the folks on here that tell you to keep COB'ing over and over again. Why lower yourself to that level of pathetic? There is more to life than being a Greek.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Wow, that chick is all kinds of scary

You know, the minimum grades to join a sorority aren't exactly astronomical. What; anywhere from a 2.5 to a 3.0 maybe? And this girl hasn't been able to make grades three times??? It sounds like she needs to spend more time on the schoolwork and less time on stalking the TriSigmas. Before she knows it, she'll be done with college and will have basically no education and no status in the sorority and she'll be wondering where the h*ll four years went and why she can't find a decent job!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greencat
Someone needs to tell that girl to get a life. If she's rushed 3 times and she still hasn't gotten the bid, it's not going to happen. I don't agree with the folks on here that tell you to keep COB'ing over and over again. Why lower yourself to that level of pathetic? There is more to life than being a Greek.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!DITTO!!!!!!!

I believe i and someone else has posted about this before.......I dont like it either giving PNM's false hopes when we all know what is going to happen most likely, and since we all know that they are usually recognized when they come through multiple recruitments. A year or so may have gone by, but those that remember names will remember that person's name, and those that remember faces will remember that person and 2 and 2 will be put together. I dont mean to sound harsh or a bitch but that's how I see and have seen it first hand on both sides.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:18 PM

A few years ago, we had a girl who was obsessed with ZTA. I still had AOL at the time. The girl did a search through the AOL profiles to find UCF ZTAs. At first, she just emailed us to let us know she was interested. No big deal. Then, she started IMing us. I would sign onto AOL and I would get an IM from her immediately asking some really weird questions. During the summer, we weren't supposed to talk to the PNMs but she still kept trying to get ahold of us. We all put her on block. She would then show up at the places that we hung out to try and talk to us. We'd all be hanging out at a bar and the stalker would come running over to us and try giving us hugs. It was so weird.
She never ended up going through recruitment. Not sure why.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Someone probably shot her for being so annoying . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
A few years ago, we had a girl who was obsessed with ZTA. I still had AOL at the time. The girl did a search through the AOL profiles to find UCF ZTAs. At first, she just emailed us to let us know she was interested. No big deal. Then, she started IMing us. I would sign onto AOL and I would get an IM from her immediately asking some really weird questions. During the summer, we weren't supposed to talk to the PNMs but she still kept trying to get ahold of us. We all put her on block. She would then show up at the places that we hung out to try and talk to us. We'd all be hanging out at a bar and the stalker would come running over to us and try giving us hugs. It was so weird.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msn4med1975 Send a message via Yahoo to msn4med1975
Re: HAHAHAHHAHA

Quote:
Originally posted by phamason2003
My lil'Bro who was dinged for being a weirdoh/disrespectful pledge. Man he could not get it_we did not like him; and we gave him an explanation. To me that was very nice of us alittle to nice. He would follow any member in the quad around. Jeez, he even followed my ex-girlfriend around trying to find secrets out, what secrets is what I'm wondering. Also, he claimed to have different names and lives, sh#@t he was a mad man.
Okay I must have too much cold medicine in me, did he ever make it into the chapter or is this a relative as in younger brother?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Unregistered-

I've been friends with a girl for a while who's obsessed with AGD. I mean, yeeeeah I am flattered that she loves my sorority like that, but come on.

She rushed us when she was in college but for some reason we've never extended a bid to her. The reasons for that have never been disclosed to me because they know I am friends with her...and they probably don't have the heart to tell me "OH IT'S BECAUSE SHE'S PSYCHO!!!". They know what I really think about her, but as with all reasons why PNMs get cut--they try to be discreet and confidential.

So now she wants to join AGD as an AI. Ok, cool. She's not even an AGD yet, so why the HAYLE is she already looking into booking a flight to Chicago for Convention? EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK!

The alums are well aware of her "reputation" of not being the most well mannered and "stable" person. I don't think that my friend quite understands the honor of being an AI.

I think I need to start being mean again and I should just tell her to leave me alone.

ARGH.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
Maybe she was a decoy from a rival sorority? Trying to get you guys to break recruitment rules? That sounds like a really fishy story if she didn't even go through.

KLTC
Old 04-23-2004, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a girl who went through rush who really liked our house, but we ended up cutting her about halfway through. She had a twin sister who was like the total opposite of her, and we didn't cut her, but the twin sister ended up pledging another house.

So anyway, on bid day, we got like 5 calls from this first twin's girl's mother demanding that we give her a snap bid, and we were just like "wtf? We CUT your daughter." It was really odd.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

oooh oooh, i had one of those.

this girl went through rush as a freshman and was cut. ok. i wasn't even in college at the time. then she decided her junior year to go through cob, but didn't get a bid. i was a member at this point and truthfully, was iffy on her getting a bid. i knew her personally, so in some ways, i felt really badly. in other ways, i knew she was completely inappropriate for our chapter. in the fall of her senior year, she decided to go through formal rush. again no bid. great...she wanted to cob with us. some people who knew her pretty much stopped her from trying again. she was still friends with a bunch of people and it was fine. she would say that she was an honorary sister. on our letter days, she would always wear pink. i heard a rumor that one of our sisters gave her a bid day or formal t-shirt and told her she could wear it. she always wore it under a sweatshirt, tho. so spring comes around and our chapter gets a message from the greek advisor that panhel is going to bring us to judicial because we are promising freshmen (who can't even go through formal recruitment until the fall) bids. we were pretty shocked and asked who was the sister that was being accussed. ms. honorary sister.....yep...some members from another sorority on campus thought she was a sister and overheard her talking to freshmen and telling them that they could get bids at phi mu. we obviously couldn't get in trouble for that because she isn't a sister.

there is a part of me that hopes that this girl never finds out about alumnae initiation. and if i ever heard that she was trying to become a member, i would email the chapter president and fill them in on her real story!
Old 04-24-2004, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

i have a story that is slighty on the other side. In school i pledged XYZ, had a great time blah, blah, blah (if you want the whole story go here. When I was finally ready to leave and move into another dorm, I was telling my pledge sisters that when I go through recruitment again they should really seriously consider giving me a bid. I do believe that they thought I was psycho, perhaps I was a tiny bit from the grief, from what happened to me. Needless to say, none of this happened because for one, I was not going to through the humiliation of FR again and when I had moved into the other dorm, one of the pledge sisters happened to be my suite mate and that was a bad experience. Afterwards it was pretty hard reverting to a normal life of school and friends outside the sorority because it was basically my life from the time I stepped off the plane, but I did and moved on. I did freak a tiny bit during FR the following Fall, but by then I was ready for something else.

But STALKING is something entirely different and these young ladies in the above stories, truly need to get there heads examined.

I'm just glad that I had a support system through my family and friends that helped me, I don't know that I would not have gone to these extremes. Perhaps these ladies don't have that.

ms. gwyn
Old 04-24-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Maybe she was a decoy from a rival sorority? Trying to get you guys to break recruitment rules? That sounds like a really fishy story if she didn't even go through.
I never thought of that...could be a possibility. At the same time, UCF has a pretty close-knit greek system so we tend to know who is a member of what sorority. It might have been that she was an alumni member of a sorority that was trying to get us to break the rules but I would like to think none of the sororities on our campus would be that petty.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

This is definitely a bizarre one. My neighbors daughter is (was) a real sweetheart. I've known them for the past 8 years. Anyway, when I first rushed, her and her mom were real nice and even gave me a small gift when I got a bid from Sigma Kappa b/c they knew it was my first choice.

Well, soon after, they told me that they were investigating all the Panhellenic websites b/c they had decided that the daughter wanted to join a sorority when she got into college. O.K. I thought. That's smart. Then they sent out for information on the ones she liked.

Pretty soon, on Tuesdays I see her wearing shirts that say "I love Sigma Kappa" and ones that say "My Best Friend is a Sigma Kappa"
I asked her where she got them and she told me that they had them custom silk printed at the mall b/c she decided that she loves my sorority. Now she's getting weird and it gets WORSE! The next time I saw her on a Monday, she was dressed up and I asked her why. She said that b/c she knows we have meetings on Monday so she has to look her best.
As if that wasn't enough, she is now contemplating buying one of our pins on E-bay so she can have ready for when she gets a bid from us. I've tried to explain that just b/c she knows me is not a guarantee of a bid but it seems it goes in one ear and out the other. The good news for me is that she still hasn't heard back from the colleges she applied to so I'm hoping my school rejects her b/c she is weird.