GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,315
3 members and 2,312 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 07-27-2007, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣΣΣMagan View Post
To make a long story short, I chose Sigma and Sigma chose me. Even though their meetings are on Sunday, that's where I belonged.
hold on a friggin minute... the point of these threads are to make your stories long. don't spare us any details!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha. Okay.

So, when I went through fall recruitment, I actually held three part time jobs and fifteen hours worth of classes (including three labs).

One of my jobs fell on bid-day and there way no way that I could get off of work. So, I was allowed to call in my bid during certain hours. (10-11, I think)

I had to be at work at 7:30 am, so I had been up since 5:30 counting down the hours until I would find out if I really belonged in either sorority.

Finally 10:00 came around and I went into the back office. I was shaking badly. I called the Universities panhellinic president and learned that the ladies of ΣΣΣ had extended me a bid along with eleven other members. Her next question was if I accepted the bid or not. DUH! Yes, I accepted the bid. Sigma was my first choice.

When it came down to it, I just felt more at home with Sigma. I felt like I really belonged there.

Our first meeting was the next day (Sunday) and I was overjoyed to be a part of something so wonderful! I would have never thought that I would have found myself in a sorority, but regardless, here I am. A proud member of Sigma Sigma Sigma.

I now hold four chairs: Awards, Social Co-chair, Violet Vibe/Communications, and Efficiency.

I will be going into my third semester in Sigma in the fall and I can't wait for it to start! Let the countdown begin.

I am super excited to see formal recruitment from the opposite side.

If you have figured out my University and the other sorority there, I hope I did not cast a negative shadow upon them. They are both great groups of girls. I am friends with numerous people in the other group.

Anyways - I hope y'all enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed typing it up. =)
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣΣΣMagan View Post
. . . My mom really didn't want me to drive up there just for a meeting on Sunday and told me she would prefer if I joined the sorority that met on Monday. I told her that I would join whichever sorority I felt I belonged to. . . .
To any and all parents who read this ^ : See? It isn't just your child; when they're young adults a lot of them act that way.

Just kidding, Magan -- thank you for your story. It's interesting to learn about recruitment in a small Panhellenic system.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
To any and all parents who read this ^ : See? It isn't just your child; when they're young adults a lot of them act that way.
Haha. Funny! =) Well, I just wanted to get across to pnms out there that they should not pick the sorority that their mom wants them to pick. Actually, my mom is quite happy with my decision. I also recruited someone else from my hometown who lives here part-time, so we alternate weeks. One Sunday, I will drive to the chapter meeting and she will the next Sunday. It's fun to get to know someone because all you do is talk for three hours every week.
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I know where you go to school. I wish that we would re-charter there!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Oh, I know where you go to school. I wish that we would re-charter there!
Yes, that would be cool. But I probably wont see it happen. I will graduate Dec 08. The greek community there is striving to keep numbers up as it is. I'm not so sure there's enough interest in adding another GLO.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

wow FOUR chairs??? you busy girl!! congrats on Sigma! i enjoyed ur story!!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
wow FOUR chairs??? you busy girl!! congrats on Sigma! i enjoyed ur story!!
Yes. Well,three and a half chairs since one is a co-chair. But I enjoy every minute of it. I think I do have the most chairs in the chapter. Anyways, thanks for reading! =)
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for posting. I really love these stories!
ZTA72
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So, after a few years off and a new screen name (I completely forgot what my last one was) I'm back. Yup, I was ΣΣΣMagan andI'm now mdobson621!It was funny because I actually forgot I had posted my recruitment story. I'm so glad I did though because it's the small details I had forgotten over time.

For those of you who wanted an update...

I became President of my chapter for 2008. I am a charter member of the Greater Savannah Area Alumnae Chapter of Tri Sigma. I became a member of the Chapter Advisory Board in 2010. I now hold the fundraising and community service chair for the alum chapter.

Oh and as for my mother, she recently just became a Tri Sigma through our alum initiate program. She loves Tri Sigma as much as I do
Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 PM

I updated mine with some after graduation stuff too. Wish other people would do the same *hint hint for all the people who have rush threads lol*

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-14-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

YAY!!! i loved your recruitment story and am loving your update!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I love hearing updates about where people went after graduation. I wish more rush stories would be updated with the "aftermath" of joining. I think it'd give people a great overview of how it really is a lifelong membership.
Hmmm...I know what I'm doing tonight!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and I got married last June and three Sigma's were bridesmaids including my MOH. I'm so glad for the decisions I made almost 6 years ago! I received more than I ever thought was possible and I know that I'm going to receive even more as the years go by.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

And how are the chapters doing? They were very new when you joined. Since it isn't too hard to figure out what school, I checked to see what quota is, and it looks like it's pretty stable. Are the chapters still thinking of getting houses? As a grown up now you may have changed your mind on whether that's a good idea, and this site may have given you lots of ideas about housing alternatives (dorm floors, etc.).