GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,192
1 members and 1,191 guests
3DGator

Old 12-28-2005, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Do Grades Matter?

Hello everyone! this is my first post so bear with me. I am a senior at a private school and I am considering rushing. I know that GPA is important when rushing, but my school does GPA a little different. Instead of representing it on a 4.0 scale my GPA shows that i have a 95% GPA. So my question is, does each sorority convert the 95% into a 4.0 form? And if not what percentage would most sororities find acceptable. sorry that may be a little bit confusing... Take care all
Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Your school should have a form to explain their grading system. See your guidance couselor.

My school had separate levels of education (mainstream, PSP, CAS) depending on "gifted" status, and i had to include a letter saying what that stood for with my transcripts.

and yes, grades are important as a reflection of your commitment to responsibilities, but chapter dynamics trump perfect GPA's. Yes, you may have a 4.0, but if you would be tremendously uncomfortable or incompatible with a certain sorority, then they won't bid you and you probably wouldn't want them to.

Long story short: good grades are nice, but personality makes a sister.

Good luck!

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 12-28-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The sororities on your campus will conduct membership selection with the grading scale used by your university. I would assume that your 95% is 95 out of 100... which would be very good grades! Typically, sororities do want to recruit members who have demonstrated academic success.

Contact the office of Greek Life at your school, or the Office of Student Activities. They will have the best, dead-on advice for you about recruitment and sorority life as it pertains to your school.

Good luck with recruitment! Let us know how you make out and welcome to Greek Chat!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

As one of the people in charge of looking at the GPAs and converting them to a X/4.0 format at my school, yes they'll be converted. From my experience each school's panhel has a minimum GPA and each sorority will have an individual minimum which may or may not match.

Frankly with that GPA I wouldn't be concerned gradeswise. But I agree, if you have any questions contact that panhel.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're going to a school with fairly decent academic requirements, first semester freshman really shouldn't have any problems meeting grade requirements.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
If you're going to a school with fairly decent academic requirements, first semester freshman really shouldn't have any problems meeting grade requirements.
Yea, the problem is making sure that you keep the high GPA!

Sometimes chapters have problems with nm's who have the right GPA to be pledged, but don't make the chapter's required GPA when 1st semester college grades come out.
Take it from a Chapter Advisor, it's crappy when someone is soo excited about being a new sister/brother but then is prevented from doing certain things, like getting a new office, or whatever restrictions that chapter/org has for those who don't make the GPA..no matter the class.

I do agree with the others, while a high GPA may give you points in one area, your personality makes a hugh difference!