GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,234
0 members and 2,234 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As to the part I quoted, our new programming spreads out the learning over the entire collegiate experience with separate programming for new members, middle members and seniors. So you'd definitely miss out on some things if you weren't in at least 3 years.
Ours does the same. That's part of the reason I'm not too jazzed about it - especially since we have chapters at MANY schools where late-in-life (lol) pledges are commonplace. It doesn't make sense to me - it's like whoever wrote the program was being aspirational rather than realistic. I know I've also stated on here that the whole "making it easier for seniors to stay involved and so slightly lessening their responsibilities" and "programming that makes the seniors feel like they should just GTFO" is a very, very fine line to walk.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I guess this is the crux of it. We can say a billion times that "membership is for life", but the emphasis will always be on those four(ish) years as an undergraduate.
Because ultimately for NPC groups the college experience is not comparable to the alumnae experience. They're incredibly different even at the most active alumnae chapters.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

It's not very different at all for many alums, other than there's no formal rush to speak of. I've known of several tightly-knit alum groups that meet regularly and get involved in tons of activities, both social and service. I've even heard alums of various sororities say that their alum group is closer and more active than their chapter of initiation was.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
It's not very different at all for many alums, other than there's no formal rush to speak of. I've known of several tightly-knit alum groups that meet regularly and get involved in tons of activities, both social and service. I've even heard alums of various sororities say that their alum group is closer and more active than their chapter of initiation was.
Mixers?

Initiation and other activities with the pledge class?

Greek week?

If you don't show up you get fined?

We're not talking about closeness of relationships, we're talking about activities.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

My chapter in Arkansas had mixers with other alum clubs plus events with husbands. We had a huge part in the active chapter's initiation ceremonies plus we were very involved in helping during rush.

Nobody got fined because we had such great attendance!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My chapter in Arkansas had mixers with other alum clubs plus events with husbands. We had a huge part in the active chapter's initiation ceremonies plus we were very involved in helping during rush.
So, the exception that proves the rule, huh? Unless you're willing to say that your experience is representative of your GLO's alumane members in general?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
She had a really good experience - a lot of great things came out of it for her, but it hasn't been quite the same experience it would have been if she had started out as a freshman.
Do I wish I'd had more time with my chapter? Hell to the mutha****in' yes! BUT people will have regrets about various things all their lives. That doesn't mean it's not worth living.

I was still new member of the year because I was more mature, sensible, and involved than any other new member. Why? Because I knew what I was getting myself into and the expectations that were on me as a new member. I also expected to have a bigger involvement as an alumna because my collegiate years were short (2.5 years).

I value the time I spent as an active collegiate and I wish there was more active encouragement and emphasis on alumna life because many collegiate women simply don't realize that you don't die when you graduate and that is the point of college. I give more back to my chapter than 99% of the alumnae we've graduated simply because I care about my chapter and my organization. There are very few of us in the trenches giving back at my chapter and I'm working desperately to correct this and have been able to improve things through alumnae programming this year.

I'm GLAD the my school sees value in older members. I didn't go to community college, but many of my pledge sisters and women before them and after them did and still do in mine and many chapters on my campus. They have proven to be some of the greatest assets. I can't change SEC campuses. But I can say that when sororities began they were catered to non-traditional students (women in college) and I'm glad campuses like SEC are far and few between. While they are valuable chapters, they are no more valuable than any other and some of the traditions that many practice (like racism & agism [yeah i said it] among many others) need to die. I'm over them and they are not the end all be all dictators of sorority life. PLEASE.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
So, the exception that proves the rule, huh? Unless you're willing to say that your experience is representative of your GLO's alumane members in general?

Who knows?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Do I wish I'd had more time with my chapter? Hell to the mutha****in' yes! BUT people will have regrets about various things all their lives. That doesn't mean it's not worth living.

I was still new member of the year because I was more mature, sensible, and involved than any other new member. Why? Because I knew what I was getting myself into and the expectations that were on me as a new member. I also expected to have a bigger involvement as an alumna because my collegiate years were short (2.5 years).

I value the time I spent as an active collegiate and I wish there was more active encouragement and emphasis on alumna life because many collegiate women simply don't realize that you don't die when you graduate and that is the point of college. I give more back to my chapter than 99% of the alumnae we've graduated simply because I care about my chapter and my organization. There are very few of us in the trenches giving back at my chapter and I'm working desperately to correct this and have been able to improve things through alumnae programming this year.

I'm GLAD the my school sees value in older members. I didn't go to community college, but many of my pledge sisters and women before them and after them did and still do in mine and many chapters on my campus. They have proven to be some of the greatest assets. I can't change SEC campuses. But I can say that when sororities began they were catered to non-traditional students (women in college) and I'm glad campuses like SEC are far and few between. While they are valuable chapters, they are no more valuable than any other and some of the traditions that many practice (like racism & agism [yeah i said it] among many others) need to die. I'm over them and they are not the end all be all dictators of sorority life. PLEASE.
/cosign all of this.

Quote:
Who knows?
Then I stand by my statement, I'm sure there are outliers, but it's been pretty much agreed by NPC members on this board that college and alumnae experience is NOT the same.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Then I stand by my statement, I'm sure there are outliers, but it's been pretty much agreed by NPC members on this board that college and alumnae experience is NOT the same.

Where?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I'm over them and they are not the end all be all dictators of sorority life. PLEASE.
I don't think anybody was implying that they were.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I don't think anybody was implying that they were.
Not here necessarily, but really there are some serious SEC/Southern elitists that show that side now and again. With their ways and their traditions being the 'true' or 'traditional' ways and all that.

And sometimes that seriously skews the answers that people get here as the board as a group seems to revert to that 'hardcore' standard.

That's my perspective on it anyway.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not here necessarily, but really there are some serious SEC/Southern elitists that show that side now and again. With their ways and their traditions being the 'true' or 'traditional' ways and all that.
Really? Where?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Really? Where?
Stop trolling.

Still upset?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

??? not an answer to my question!