GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,470
1 members and 2,469 guests
John

Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamegoes View Post
our info sheet for pnm states that you have to attend 8 parties out of 12 and no offense My schoolwork came first I had a class that i could not cut. I always spoke with the director who said I would be fine. I find it ironic that a group such as sorority which promotes good grades, would be ok with me missing class to be at recruitment
Is this informal recruitment? What are the rules, exactly? Can you share - word for word - that the info states regarding the process of attending 8 out of 12 parties? It seems to me like you're misreading something.

Something's amiss.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
You could be correct. Heck we could all be right. There are several possible scenarios here: from being dropped by houses because she went to class, to the OP not properly informing Panhel that she was going to class (which could have been to lack of due diligence to ambiguous rules to a very lazy Panhellenic) to the OP not undstanding what was going on.
Right which is why going to her GL office is the best place for her instead of posting here saying she knows exactly what the sororities were thinking (and were hypocritical too). If you're not asking the questions of the people who can answer them, then you don't really want the answers.

ETA: And if there are no answers, well then you do what you gotta do, you COB or rush again and move on.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
You could be correct. Heck we could all be right. There are several possible scenarios here: from being dropped by houses because she went to class, to the OP not properly informing Panhel that she was going to class (which could have been to lack of due diligence to ambiguous rules to a very lazy Panhellenic) to the OP not undstanding what was going on.
Rho Chis can be idiots, too.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I have the terrible feeling that you misunderstood your info sheet, and that your panhellenic did a bad job explaining the way recruitment works. What they probably meant was that you could attend up to 8 sororities out of 12 during that round of recruitment - you would attend all parties. It does not mean that it's optional for you to attend only some of the parties you are invited to, or that you can spread your party count across days - NPC policy is that you attend all parties you are invited to for each round. Some schools will drop you from recruitment if you skip parties, whereas at other schools those sororities whose parties you miss will usually just drop you because they didn't get to know you as well as the other PNMs.
This sounds like the most plausible explanation yet. You can't just "pick" a day of parties to miss, if you were invited to parties on that day.

mynamegoes - did you have a Rho Chi, Rho Gamma or something else helping you? (I'm guessing/hoping not.)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
our info sheet for pnm states that you have to attend 8 parties out of 12 and no offense My schoolwork came first I had a class that i could not cut. I always spoke with the director who said I would be fine. I find it ironic that a group such as sorority which promotes good grades, would be ok with me missing class to be at recruitment
Then I think you need to make an appointment to discuss your situation with the director you "always spoke with and who said it was fine." No one here can help you.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I have the terrible feeling that you misunderstood your info sheet, and that your panhellenic did a bad job explaining the way recruitment works. What they probably meant was that you could attend up to 8 sororities out of 12 during that round of recruitment - you would attend all parties. It does not mean that it's optional for you to attend only some of the parties you are invited to, or that you can spread your party count across days - NPC policy is that you attend all parties you are invited to for each round. Some schools will drop you from recruitment if you skip parties, whereas at other schools those sororities whose parties you miss will usually just drop you because they didn't get to know you as well as the other PNMs.
This. Did you tell the Greek Life office that you had a class during recruitment BEFORE you skipped parties? Attending every party that you are invited to is part of the process. If you miss a party, you are dropped from recruitment.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 PM
mynamegoes

The sheet specifically stated that to be eligible a PNM must attend 8 out 12 parties. Also I did notify The Greek Life Officer prior to the beginning out recruitment that I had i class that I would not be able to miss. She said I was fine. I spoke with the Rho Chis and they said I would be ok. that's just where I was confused. Also I go to a small not so competitive school if that helps. I tried a few times after this happened to go to the Greek life coordinator but she keeps blowing me off and saying you can COB. I was willing to prove I attended the parties. Honestly, I would have rather been cut knowing no one wanted me rather than knowing there are people who could of wanted to invite me but couldn't because of this mistake
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 PM

I know I can only go by what you're saying here, but based on what you're saying, I get the feeling that maybe the Rho Chi told you that you were ok to miss and was mistaken. Or someone higher up mistakenly told HER that you were ok and she passed along the wrong information?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OP: could you clarify this, possibly?

First Round is usually open house or "ice water" parties. What does the "sheet" say in terms of attendance? And there are a total of 12 chapters to visit?

Second Round: Usually Philanthropy. Again, what does the sheet say? Maximum # of invites you can receive is ____?

Third round: House Tours/Skit. Maximum # of invites you can receive is _____?

Preference: What is the maximum # of invites?

And at what stage is it "optional" to attend 8/12 parties?

I'm wondering if you didn't attend all open house parties? Thinking out loud here...

Just trying to be helpful in piecing this out.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
The sheet specifically stated that to be eligible a PNM must attend 8 out 12 parties. Also I did notify The Greek Life Officer prior to the beginning out recruitment that I had i class that I would not be able to miss. She said I was fine. I spoke with the Rho Chis and they said I would be ok. that's just where I was confused. Also I go to a small not so competitive school if that helps. I tried a few times after this happened to go to the Greek life coordinator but she keeps blowing me off and saying you can COB. I was willing to prove I attended the parties. Honestly, I would have rather been cut knowing no one wanted me rather than knowing there are people who could of wanted to invite me but couldn't because of this mistake
Didn't that already happen? Seems like your school keeps making "mistakes" and there are always extenuating circumstances with you. Just sayin'.....

Quote:
i was super exicted to rush i go to a small school with only 4 sororities and i only got invited back to one party it was the sorority i wanted but unfortunately i didn't get a bid. my friend(that i convinced to rush by the way) got a bid to another sorority but she really didn't even want it i know the sorority i was going out for is very competitive ... i feel like im an outgoing fun goodlooking person (i don't mean to sound cocky) im really heartbroken im new to this school this semester and i was looking for a way to meet some people. im not really shure how to deal with this i was really looking forward to it , has this happened to anyone else
Quote:
I am going to be a sophomore at my school in the fall. I rushed last semester but it did not really work out. There were extenuating circumstances and lots of girls did not get bids.I felt as though I clicked with a few of the sororities. I had just started there in jan and rushed in feb so I obviously did not know many people at school. Also my father passed away right after rush So I feel like it would have been bad timing for me to join if I had got a bid. But Honestly Is it worth rushing again in the fall. Do people hold it against you? I know its informal recruitment (not really sure exactly what the difference is). Is it worth it?
Quote:
it was crazy snowing that they cut recrutiment by like 3 days so no one really got much of a chance to really meet any of the girls. I can't say I have necessarily changed that much in the past few months . A few of the girls who where in sororities ( who I later on grew to know) told me that because of such a short recruitment many nice girls "fell through the cracks" I can't necessarily say it will kill me if i don't get a bid. I have had a lot of worse things happen to me this year. I guess I probably will rush again it can't hurt that much. Does anyone know how informal recruitment works though?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Four chapters? What?

Dazed and confused...full moon rising.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Ok, now I'm confused. Are those her previous posts?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

After feeling so USED by sophiealexa, I have become cynical. Just really can't believe all this drama of "mean sorority girls all hate me" and "I got cut for no resaon at all and it isn't my fault" and "Greek Life made a HUGE mistake" anymore. Anybody else feel fooled?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

And I guess, from reading her past posts, that this was informal recruitment? There shouldn't be restrictions on number of parties one has to attend in an informal recruitment - chapters basically decide for themselves what they want to do and extend bids to whomever they want.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

And regardless of whose mistake it was, the fact is there is no going back and righting a wrong. If you want to join a sorority, I would look into COB. You can be annoyed or frustrated, but then you have to get over it and move on. If you express interest in COB and you are not invited to any parties, then your impression that there are chapters who are interested in you is mistaken.