GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,459
3 members and 2,456 guests
babobygooglet93, MethrenLusia

Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Remembering that story, IMO it seems like Towson wanted to break the cycle of turning their heads to violations that had been going on for years and just did it all in one fell swoop. Like you get so annoyed with the mess on your desk that you just chuck it all instead of going through it carefully. I'm not saying the offenses weren't punishable, but from what you & other people said it just seemed like it was hands-off for years and then giant crackdown.

ForeverRoses - since the chapter has closed their pledge to DDD is broken and they can re-rush another sorority immediately. Whether they want to or how this would go over is another story.
I think that the reason the chapters were turned in to administration was for this reason, but I think that the administration was unaware that there were any problems in the Greek system before that event. There were definitely issues earlier, but they were swept under the rug before administration found out!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DJMoneyInDaNati
Very sad for a chapter with such a rich history to go down like this, but hazing can not be tolerated by any means, it's 2009, not 1809. Unfortunately for Sigma Nu just another negative at the Miami chapter over the past year.
2009/2010 - Pledge Marshal/ Recruitment Chairman

Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Thoughts

This is probably not going to be a popular thing to say, but there are many alums who feel like Tri Delta Nationals jumped at this opportunity to close what is considered a weak chapter at Miami. The chapter had many positives, but the fact remained that it was considered one of the bottom three chapters at Miami. Tri Delta is very strong at other schools in the midwest and the Miami chapter was never the shining star Nationals wanted it to be.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDelta alum View Post
This is probably not going to be a popular thing to say, but there are many alums who feel like Tri Delta Nationals jumped at this opportunity to close what is considered a weak chapter at Miami. The chapter had many positives, but the fact remained that it was considered one of the bottom three chapters at Miami. Tri Delta is very strong at other schools in the midwest and the Miami chapter was never the shining star Nationals wanted it to be.
Ok, we've all got our "weak" chapters here and there, but the last thing you do is go and air internal dirty laundry on a public message board. That's just poor taste.

You and other alums may have good reason to feel the way you do, but what good will come out of posting something like this? They're lucky that arrangements have been made for them to come back. A lot of chapters aren't as lucky.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDelta alum View Post
So many things I want to say here, but I'll just agree with OTW that even IF this is true (there has been nothing on the EO level about this so unless you are a member of EO, I wouldn't assume anything) it is Tri Delta business and should not be posted on a public message board. Please think about how you would feel if you saw another Sister posting this about your chapter on a public message board.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Banned

If Tri Delta national had not suspended the chapter the university would almost certainly have done so. Tri Deta national really had no choice so don't blame them.

Last edited by BadCat25; 02-26-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

EVERYONE has "weak chapters" as it has been said, but I guarantee they are not sitting up at headquarters thinking they have an opportunity to improve this chapter now because they close them down for a few years. That is almost laughable in the scope of it all. I am sure Tri Delta is less than thrilled about what happened, the press it received, and having to make the decision they did. It is embarrassing and the decision that had to be enforced hurt many more than the few that were guilty. BadCat is correct and the university would have more than likely done something, if Tri Delta did not step up. It is just sad all around.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I just can't see any NPC HQ wanting to have a 98 year old chapter go under. If they were concerned about the chapter, they could certainly have put resources into helping them turn around, or even reorganized. After 98 years, can you imagine the # of alumnae who could have been called upon to help?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM

You can't really send help to "turn around" a chapter if the only thing wrong with them is an image problem - i.e. if they take quota regularly, their dues are paid, their house is full.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree - if the problem is image, then it is a p.r. and perhaps a membership selection problem. Both of those can be "helped" with programming or perhaps a leadership consultant. It would be easier to turn around a chapter with an image problem that doesn't have a numbers problem then a stuggling chapter that DOESN'T make quota, have the house full, etc.

In the case of Tri-Delta at Miami, there's no telling what nationals actually thought - but I can't believe THIS would be the way they would like things to resolve themselves.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri-Delt wasn't really a struggling chapter at Miami, unless things have fallen off in the 3 years since I was a student. They were never a "top tier" chapter, but I sincerely doubt that it had anything to do with the decision to pull the chapter.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I disagree - if the problem is image, then it is a p.r. and perhaps a membership selection problem. Both of those can be "helped" with programming or perhaps a leadership consultant. It would be easier to turn around a chapter with an image problem that doesn't have a numbers problem then a stuggling chapter that DOESN'T make quota, have the house full, etc.

In the case of Tri-Delta at Miami, there's no telling what nationals actually thought - but I can't believe THIS would be the way they would like things to resolve themselves.
I don't know if you saw this thread, but it kind of goes to what I'm talking about.

You can only change an image if the women WANT it to change and act accordingly. If a chapter likes being known as the quiet sorority, no amount of consultants, programming or PR is going to convince the campus that they are social butterflies. Ditto if the chapter likes being known as the cokehead sorority.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

I'm going to step in and ask respectfully that the conversation refrain from discussing what may or may not have been EO's reasoning behind their decision. The fact is, none of will truly know what their motive was and us playing Monday morning quarterback is not helpful and can potentially spread negative rumors.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

ITA!^^

This should be done out of respect for any organization. (enough said)
Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
Tri-Delt wasn't really a struggling chapter at Miami, unless things have fallen off in the 3 years since I was a student. They were never a "top tier" chapter, but I sincerely doubt that it had anything to do with the decision to pull the chapter.
"Never" is a strong word. Tri Delt was one of the top chapters in the late 70s and early 80s. There is a shift every year on "tiers", and with so many chapters, it's very subjective.

As for the comment on the Zeta recolonization....
I spent one semester at Miami over 25 years ago (the longest 4 months of my life). Since then, Zeta recolonized twice, Phi Mu once, KD once, ASA once (and gone), and AEPhi once. There may be more, but those are the only chapters that I can recall. There are also chapters that have left the campus for good.

Miami is a very strong Greek campus, and even though there are no houses, chapters will try very hard to bring it back strong. Tri Delta has such a strong history and I think the administration is over-reacting to the event. Sure they broke the rules, but what chapters doesn't?