GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,288
0 members and 1,288 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing AEPi, if I'm a jew, am I in?

I'm going to rush AEPi at mizzou in the spring. What I want to know about AEPi, generally, if your jewish do you get a bid pretty easy. I mean it's a jewish fraternity so I'd figure it shouldn't be too hard. But if you somewhat get along with the kids and your jewish are you in?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuregreek12 View Post
I'm going to rush AEPi at mizzou in the spring. What I want to know about AEPi, generally, if your jewish do you get a bid pretty easy. I mean it's a jewish fraternity so I'd figure it shouldn't be too hard. But if you somewhat get along with the kids and your jewish are you in?
Are you 54 years old?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

no i am going to be a freshmen. I don't see how this is a weird question
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM

When you get to Mizzou in the fall, ask the brothers of AEPi the same question you asked us. They should be a lot more help.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with 33girl. Also, just because you are Jewish, and it is a Jewish Fraternity doesn't necessarily mean you will get in. I'm an oos student, from pretty far from Auburn, Alabama, set to be a Freshman at AU this fall, and I attended multiple fraternity parties over the summer. I was very fortunate, and ended up getting bids from a few organizations that rarely extended bids to kids from out of state, let alone above the Mason-Dixon Line (and they made this known-not in an intimidating way, mind you).

They got to know me, "Ralph the Rushee," as a person, aside from where I was from and what grades I got in high school and what I did in terms of extracurricular activities/community work.

They want to get to know YOU, as a person. What your hobbies are, your personality, etc. It also helps to make good conversation and if the situation may warrant, tie something you've done in with what they, as an organization, stand for and preach. For example, "Oh, that's just terrific that (insert organization name here) has philanthropy work that aids those that are less fortunate/needy. Back home, I took part in a program sponsored by my church and we catered to the homeless by running soup kitchens and starting a canned food drive. It was really humbling to see how good I have it, and how unfortunately, not everyone can come home to a nice home-cooked meal multiple times a day. It's the little things that we take for granted, and nothing makes my heart warmer than to help out those who do not have the luxuries that I do. It's the least I could do."

Just be yourself and have fun! Also, please keep us updated!

Last edited by wareagle93; 08-12-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you for the support. I', a little worried about not getting a bid. I am kind of curious, and i have a few questions.
1. Will a 3.4 hs GPA and 24 ACT hurt my chances a lot.
2. I play basketball and do volunteer work, will that help me much?
3. Would knowing a kid, and the kid really like me who is already in a fraternity almost guarantee a bid?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
thank you for the support. I', a little worried about not getting a bid. I am kind of curious, and i have a few questions.
3. Would knowing a kid, and the kid really like me who is already in a fraternity almost guarantee a bid?
How the heck would we know? I imagine that's the most appropriate answer to all of the above.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your GPA looks to be very solid (I had the exact same, but a higher ACT). A 24 is not horrible. So, as far as grades go, I personally would not worry. That's awesome that you played a sport and were involved in the community! I cannot speak on behalf of Missouri's Greek Life System, personally, but I would bet you a pretty good amount of money that the Fraternities at Mizzou are looking to see how involved you were (the ones I visited multiple times over the summer at AU seemed to like that I had done volunteer work lol!).

As for point number 3, I really cannot relate. I went to AU summer rush events not knowing a single person, and had to get to know everyone from scratch (out of the 4 bids I received, I only received one during my first time attending an event with that particular organization-I visited the other 3 again). I would certainly say it's a good sign that you are friendly with a guy in that fraternity, but it depends if he has a good amount of say in who does/does not receive bids.

If someone with more experience could add to this thread it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
No. You've got to meet other members of the chapter who can decide if you would fit in. Just having 1 friend in the chapter does not guarantee you a bid.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes you're absolutely guaranteed a spot
Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hardly anyone has been willing to respond to your questions because they're kind of absurd. No one is ever guaranteed a bid. There's no such thing as just being "in". This is a fraternity, not a club you just sign up for.

What they are looking for in a member is not public information. We can't tell you how good your chances are. You will have to meet the brothers and they will decide whether or not to offer you a bid.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
What they are looking for in a member is not public information. We can't tell you how good your chances are. You will have to meet the brothers and they will decide whether or not to offer you a bid.
This. And also I wouldn't set my sights on just one fraternity before you even get to school. Check them all out -- you might actually find you fit in better somewhere other than AEPi.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

well im talking about a jewish fraternity, and there are not a ton of jews at mizzou. so shouldn't being jewish be close to guarantee a bid?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
well im talking about a jewish fraternity, and there are not a ton of jews at mizzou. so shouldn't being jewish be close to guarantee a bid?
Not if you're Jewish and a dickhead.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your question has already been answered. How about you interact with real life people and see if you can figure out the rest.

/lane swerve