GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,662
1 members and 1,661 guests
zashlytopo8836

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Pi Nappa Kappa

So it's not really an up & coming national GLO...

Quote:
If the sorority Pi Nappa Kappa doesn't sound familiar to you, you're not alone.

The group was founded earlier this summer by Leola Anifowoshe, the self-proclaimed authority on natural haircare, for women of "African descent." (Clearly, the natural hair craze has reached a new level when a faux-Greek organization can be organized around it.)

Anifowoshe's vision for Pi Nappa Kappa ("Nappa," of course, isn't a letter in the Greek alphabet, but an allusion to "natural" or "nappy" hair) is to serve as a group and space where natural hair enthusiasts can voice their concerns, share their stories and support each other towards a healthier lifestyle. The sorority operates under the Natural Healthy Hair Society, which is also run by Anifowoshe.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_941986.html

Good marketing strategy or too much? What say you?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
What say you?
From the article
Quote:
Nearly 600 women have already pledged the sorority, but Anifowoshe's goal is to have 10,000 members by the end of the year. There is no hazing or any formal ceremonies involved in the intake process. All that's required is an electronic signature on the organization's pledge document.
Not sure why it needed to be a sorority, but I'll never have to worry about being a natural so it doesn't really affect me lol

Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, at first I thought Pi Nappa stood for pineapple and it was going to have something to do with fruit.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

I don't think they are trying to become a REAL sorority. It's like when I read the natural hair sites and women from around the world are going to Natural Hair Shows, etc. Many of them have formed a natural hair sisterhood which includes those who are already in sororities (typically BGLOs). Whether they realize it or admit it, they are just being a bit silly in forming a sorority that they know is just for shits and giggles. It's another way to get more sistahs to go natural and provide a resource for those of us who are natural.

<----- Happily Nappily but Not in Pi Nappa Kappa

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-31-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Now - where's the sorority for non-African-American women who have natural hair?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieM View Post
Now - where's the sorority for non-African-American women who have natural hair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUOTE
The group was founded earlier this summer by Leola Anifowoshe, the self-proclaimed authority on natural haircare, for women of "African descent."
Women of the African Diaspora. Everyone else can get their own thing.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

ah yes, of course... my bad
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I don't think they are trying to become a REAL sorority. It's like when I read the natural hair sites and women from around the world are going to Natural Hair Shows, etc. Many of them have formed a natural hair sisterhood which includes those who are already in sororities (typically BGLOs). Whether they realize it or admit it, they are just being a bit silly in forming a sorority that they know is just for shits and giggles. It's another way to get more sistahs to go natural and provide a resource for those of us who are natural.

<----- Happily Nappily but Not in Pi Nappa Kappa
I am also happily nappily . I wish they would call it a group though; kinda makes fun of sororities as being silly although I know that's not the intent.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I am also happily nappily . I wish they would call it a group though; kinda makes fun of sororities as being silly although I know that's not the intent.
LOL. I don't mind as long as they don't think they are REAL; and as long as they don't come to Greekchat for advice. I've seen people try to turn darn near anything into a fraternity or sorority. It doesn't last long because people stop caring--unless there is some level of protest that brings attention to them.