GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,623
2 members and 1,621 guests
FSUZeta, navane

Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
do numbers not matter to fraternity chapters? large numbers in sorority chapters usually mean a strong, popular chapter. if a sorority does not pledge quota, or is under total, they work very hard to meet that goal, even if it means continual recruiting. what gives guys?
Numbers can matter, but not necessarily the same way they might with NPC chapters.

IFC doesn't have a campus imposed quota or total. As such, largest may not always equal the best. I feel it is more important for a chapter to be competitive "all around". As in being at or near the top in all things important on campus and within the campus Greek Life world. As such, being one of the largest chapters has it's advantages. In additional to numbers (which looks good on campus i.e. "they are the biggest"), you have the manpower to be tops in areas like campus leadership, sports, "social graces" (who throws the "best" parties and gets the "best" girls"), campus events (Greek Week, Homecoming etc.) among other areas. And more often than not, a chapter that is one of the best on campus, usually continues to pledge the best. You also end up with alumni that are damn proud of their chapter and they often give back. All this due to tradition and respect as it were. But it does come back to the members (numbers) that make it happen.

As a disclaimer, you don't have to be one of the largest to be one of the best. But it sure as heck doesn't hurt.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Unless, of course, a group becomes the biggest by taking any warm body they can find, and there isn't enough wheat among the chaff to make that strategy pay off.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Most good top chapters already know who is in their pledge class before rush even starts.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
What campuses? Most of the big southern greek schools do fine. Most kids who don't rush are ones we don't really want. Sure there are some exceptions, but I'm not really sure what you're referring to when you say they need more people to go through rush.
I tend to agree with this.

My guess is that the IFC representative feel a "need" for more guys so that there are more guys available during formal rush. Perhaps they are doing this to help the chapters that don't have the ability (finances, manpower, alumni) to rush year round.

For example, on many campuses, the perceived "top" chapters take as many guys as they want over the summer. They can do this because they have the budget to rush year round and have numerous rush parties over the summer. By the time fall comes, they usually have most of their pledge class in place. As such, the number of men available (without a bid) during fall is lower. Either because the "summer" guys accepted a bid and do not need to sign up, or because they have to sign up but already know where they are going. And while the "top" chapters may have most of their pledge class in place, they do continue to rush. Which can result in an even smaller number of guys available for the rest of the chapters. To be clear, all the guys may be great. Just that certain chapters may get more members than other chapters due to their ability (finances, manpower, alumni) to rush year round. Thus having more guys "available" during formal rush helps all the chapters.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Unless, of course, a group becomes the biggest by taking any warm body they can find, and there isn't enough wheat among the chaff to make that strategy pay off.
Oh I couldn't agree more. Which is why I feel it is more important for a chapter to be competitive.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Most good top chapters already know who is in their pledge class before rush even starts.
Ditto.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Granted, I've said stuff like "it'd be cool if we had more people go through rush" but that doesn't mean I just want people, it means I want more people who we'd actually consider bidding. Numbers are good and can be helpful, but they're second fiddle to quality.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Granted, I've said stuff like "it'd be cool if we had more people go through rush" but that doesn't mean I just want people, it means I want more people who we'd actually consider bidding. Numbers are good and can be helpful, but they're second fiddle to quality.

Your pont is well taken and I agree, but, there is always the gem in the rough who turns out be very outstanding. Wonder if cookie cutting fits here?

It is much easier for larger chapters to recruit in certain areas but again "THE BUT, not every Chapter is # 1,2, or 3.

Cut out the schools that do not seem to fit the criteria of some on here, what about the many schools that are not huge.

Take those away and many GLOs will be very small in numbers and members.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I understand your point there Tom, but I just am not really concerned about the other schools. I'll leave it to them to figure out how to achieve whatever it is they want.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Your point is well taken and I agree, but, there is always the gem in the rough who turns out be very outstanding. Wonder if cookie cutting fits here?
Good point. This is why chapters should recruit year round and look at everyone. Pledge the the guys you know and want. But at the same time, use your resources to find and pledge those "rough gems".

Quote:
It is much easier for larger chapters to recruit in certain areas but again "THE BUT, not every Chapter is # 1,2, or 3.
You are correct. It is easier for larger chapters because they have more resources (manpower, finances, alumni). However, numbers do not necessarily make a chapter "tops" on campus.

Quote:
Cut out the schools that do not seem to fit the criteria of some on here, what about the many schools that are not huge.

Take those away and many GLOs will be very small in numbers and members.
I understand your point. However, it does not matter if the chapters on a campus are "small" compared to other campuses. What should be important is how they compare to the chapters on their campus.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

i guess that i am referring to those fraternity chapters who participate in formal recruitment, get 10-15 new members and feel content to be done for the rest of the year. they basically keep the status quo-they maintain, but don't take the opportunity to grow larger. there have to be some quality guys on campus who fall under the radar, would enhance the chapter and make great members. could it be that the fraternity's headquarters don't place much emphasis on numbers? or is it that the majority of guys don't feel they need to join fraternities? and if that's the case, are the fraternities marketing themselves properly?

if a sorority falls short of pledging quota, or is below campus total, they aren't going to stop recruiting just because formal recruitment is over. they most likely will continue to recruit thru out the entire year, if need be. they may not meet their goal, but there will continue to try.

continual recruiting does not have to cost a lot of money-it would cost them some time. if they met a great guy in class, or in a campus organization they both belong to, they could invite him over to the house to watch a sporting event on t.v. or to a party or social already on the calendar.

so, is it that sororities are held to a certain standard by their headquarters and fraternities just don't consider it that important? or is it because the goals-quota/total are more concrete? could it be the difference between a wedding the groom planned vs. a wedding planned by the bride? maybe tsteven hit the nail on the head when he said "sororities are from venus, fraternities are from mars."
Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know about the fraternity situation at University of North Carolina? I am going to try and rush as a sophomore next year. I know people in a few of the fraternities, but not really on a first name basis. (Meaning we may have worked together on projects, and one guy went to my Church.) Granted, there is one fraternity I could probably get into fairly easily, but I don't know if that would be my choice.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Keep in mind that fraternity rush does not have quota. Therefore, the fraternity does not make a decision on "do we like guy A or guy B more?" They make a decision on each guy, "do we like guy A enough to give him a bid?" Therefore, even if they rush most of their pledge class before the school year starts, it can't hurt them to meet even more guys.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Good point. This is why chapters should recruit year round and look at everyone. Pledge the the guys you know and want. But at the same time, use your resources to find and pledge those "rough gems".

You are correct. It is easier for larger chapters because they have more resources (manpower, finances, alumni). However, numbers do not necessarily make a chapter "tops" on campus.

I understand your point. However, it does not matter if the chapters on a campus are "small" compared to other campuses. What should be important is how they compare to the chapters on their campus.

How True that is!

Each Campus is different.

LX Z # 1
Alumni