GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,436
0 members and 1,436 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2003, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have mixed feelings about having a special AI designation -- like it will always set them apart and after a time as far as I'm concerned they are just like everyone else who is a member of Gamma Phi. There will always be some who sneer at AI in all the GLOs - why exacerbate that by giving AIs a separate designation?I am glad we have the AIs get the chapter designation of the collegiate chapter that initiates them. However, I do know that in some special cases, like at convention or even at a local chapter with special approval, an AI might be able to get the chapter designation of her "connection/legacy" if she is not actually initiated at that particular chapter.

Separate question: several AIs have posted here and on other threads about "getting their bid" -- exactly what form does that process take for y'all? In my experience with over half a dozen AIs that I have sponsored, it is all very straightforward -- I tell the AI what the process is all along the way and what to expect. When the "pledge" training materials come in the mail from our IH (Int'l HQtrs) then that cements it! Of course I have not worked with any potential AIs who did not already know they wanted to be Gamma Phi AIs.....just would be interested to see what other AIs have experienced.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
I have mixed feelings about having a special AI designation -- like it will always set them apart and after a time as far as I'm concerned they are just like everyone else who is a member of Gamma Phi. There will always be some who sneer at AI in all the GLOs - why exacerbate that by giving AIs a separate designation?I am glad we have the AIs get the chapter designation of the collegiate chapter that initiates them. However, I do know that in some special cases, like at convention or even at a local chapter with special approval, an AI might be able to get the chapter designation of her "connection/legacy" if she is not actually initiated at that particular chapter.
Yay I am glad we do have those special cases - because if things go well, I know a certain PNAM who would much rather be an EC than a GW!

One thing that I do think would be cool is a special dangle for AIs - that way it would not be as "obvious" that they weren't "traditional" initiates. As far as I'm concerned, many AIs bring more to our sisterhood than women who initiated in traditional manners.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about having a special AI designation -- like it will always set them apart and after a time as far as I'm concerned they are just like everyone else who is a member of Gamma Phi. There will always be some who sneer at AI in all the GLOs - why exacerbate that by giving AIs a separate designation?
I don't necessarily feel as if I have a 'special' designation - I'm a member of a chapter, just like the women at Beta Theta chapter are -- it just happens that my chapter is more of a 'virtual' chapter than a flesh-and-blood house, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Separate question: several AIs have posted here and on other threads about "getting their bid" -- exactly what form does that process take for y'all?
Well for me, it was a phone call from my sponsor. She said that they were going to give me a bid card the night of the party that was cancelled, but it didin't happen. With our chapter's most recent Alumna Initiate (the lovely and talented Jill1228), I gave her the AI paperwork to fill out after a conversation with the chapter president, who then called her a couple of days later and invited her into the sisterhood.

I don't know whether Alpha Phi has a 'standard' for invitations to membership for Alumna Initiates, but I think it's a nice touch to offer an official bid, especially to women who for whatever reason didn't go through collegiate recruitment (or had bad recruitment experiences, as per my case).
Old 09-02-2003, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pink&Blue
In Delta Gamma, I received a letter from EO inviting me to membership.
Me too...well, it was from the VP of Alumnae.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about having a special AI designation -- ........ There will always be some who sneer at AI in all the GLOs - why exacerbate that by giving AIs a separate designation?
I so agree with you there, GPhiBLtColonel!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
I think a bid card would be a really nice thing for an AI - a nice keepsake to have.

As for the special designations, I kind of like them. Maybe because AI's go through such a different process than traditional initiates. I do really like that dangle idea! What would it look like?

(A turtle for "slow and steady wins the race" lol)
Hmm I am not sure - I know the standard alumnae dangle is an anchor, from what I have seen - maybe they could get an anchor with AI on it?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Separate question: several AIs have posted here and on other threads about "getting their bid" -- exactly what form does that process take for y'all? In my experience with over half a dozen AIs that I have sponsored, it is all very straightforward -- I tell the AI what the process is all along the way and what to expect. When the "pledge" training materials come in the mail from our IH (Int'l HQtrs) then that cements it! Of course I have not worked with any potential AIs who did not already know they wanted to be Gamma Phi AIs.....just would be interested to see what other AIs have experienced. [/B][/QUOTE]

I actually got a verbal notification from my chapter president.She was very much like you,in that she was straightforward and told me what the process would be as I went along,as she knew it.Since I was her first AI,it was a learning process for both of us.However,the night before my initiation,I was given a formal printed invitation.

I hesitate to add this but I sometimes wonder if active alumnae don't question our motives.Maybe they want to be sure of our intentions before they offer us membership.Perhaps they want to make sure that we really want to be an active part of the group and we aren't looking just to join something.I was exremely lucky in my AI process in that I got my very first choice very quickly.It really was just a matter of a few weeks for me from contacting EO to receiving a verbal invitation to membership.I know that many women aren't that lucky.They are rejected by one group and then go on to the next one on the list and so on.After they have been rejected multiple times,word has perhaps gotten around and their motives are in question.Perhaps the active alumnae just want to be sure.

Last edited by midwesterngirl; 09-02-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by midwesterngirl
I hesitate to add this but I sometimes wonder if active alumnae don't question our motives.Maybe they want to be sure of our intentions before they offer us membership.Perhaps they want to make sure that we really want to be an active part of the group and we aren't looking just to join something.[/B]
You don't have to hesitate, that's EXACTLY the case. My chapter's first AI pretty much dropped out of sight so we were quick to put our own "requirements" into place to allow us to gauge the woman's interest level. Now an AI has to prove to us that she wants to be involved with us. BUT, that's not hard to do during the non-summer months because we have events every month plus monthly happy hours.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think it's a nice touch to offer an official bid, especially to women who for whatever reason didn't go through collegiate recruitment (or had bad recruitment experiences, as per my case).
Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
I think a bid card would be a really nice thing for an AI - a nice keepsake to have.
I agree. I didn't have the best experience during rush as a junior and I would like to have an official bid card as a Keepsake.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting your AI Bid in AOII

AOII has recently developed a bid card just for AI. It is REALLY awesome and, in my experiences, can be given by the sponsor or collegiate chapter after the collegiate chapter has voted. Our Alumnae Services Coordinator is VERY considerate of the desires of AI members. Gotta to love her for all that she does for us!
Silver
Old 09-03-2003, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Me, three. I got a letter from VP Alumnae saying I was offered membership and had to reply. (See my thread "I got my bid"). After that everything was handled via telephone regarding initiation and so forth.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Getting your AI Bid in AOII

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIsilver
AOII has recently developed a bid card just for AI. It is REALLY awesome and, in my experiences, can be given by the sponsor or collegiate chapter after the collegiate chapter has voted. Our Alumnae Services Coordinator is VERY considerate of the desires of AI members. Gotta to love her for all that she does for us!
Silver
I would love to see one of those!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII AI Bid Card

Mine is sealed under glass. No promises on whether or not a pix will come out....
Silver