GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,314
2 members and 2,312 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM with a difficult question

I will be a freshman at Texas State University, I was so set on this school but now I am set on Texas Tech and now it's too late to apply for fall admission. I will be rushing at Texas State, if I decide to transfer to Tech, when is the best time fall or spring assuming that I will be able to affiliate with whichever sorority I happen to pledge. I do realize that Tech has to have the sorority that I rush in order to affiliate, which if that is the case, spring or fall transfer? Will it be more difficult to affiliate right after becoming a new member?

Sorry if this was a confusing question, but help or input would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Just my two cents worth. If you are certain that you're going to transfer than don't go through recruitment. Just because you love XYZ at Texas State doesn't mean you'll like it at your new school. Wait and go through at your new school.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, especially with only 4/7 State sororities at Tech, it's not an overwhelming majority. You could very easily end up in one of the 3 other groups, and then if you transfer and you've had only 1 semester, or 1 year with your group, you'll lose out on a majority of the collegiate experience because you can never join another NPC group after you've been initiated.

And honestly, if you're definitely going to transfer, especially in such a short period of time (1 semester, or 1 year), it's unfair to the chapter.

Have you considered deferring school and applying for spring admission at Tech?

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 08-08-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I agree, especially with only 4/7 State sororities at Tech, it's not an overwhelming majority. You could very easily end up in one of the 3 other groups, and then if you transfer and you've had only 1 semester, or 1 year with your group, you'll lose out on a majority of the collegiate experience because you can never join another NPC group after you've been initiated.

And honestly, if you're definitely going to transfer, especially in such a short period of time (1 semester, or 1 year), it's unfair to the chapter.

Have you considered deferring school and applying for spring admission at Tech?
Honestly, I already paid my rush fee and have my school and stuff paid for. I could get down there and love it, but in case I do decide to transfer I figured this would be a valid concern. Nothing is set in stone as of right now.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

There are many, many cases of women who didn't get to affiliate with their chapter at the second school. The chapter there voted not to affiliate them.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

There are all sorts of possible outcomes. Affiliation is different for every chapter. Some chapters may vote on affiliations, and others may not. Put first things first: start your college experience, go through recruitment, and see what happens. You may find a "fit" and then again, you may not. You might even decide to stay where you're at! You think you know, but you really do not. Trust me. It's okay to change your mind (and you probably will).

Good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple of years ago, a friend's daughter did the same thing you are thinking of doing. She did go through recruitment, she pledged her legacy sorority, it wasn't a good fit for her plus she was very homesick (and had a BF back home). So after giving it about a month, she made the difficult decision to drop the sorority (before she got initiated) because she knew she would be transferring to the school in her hometown and they did not have the sorority she pledged. So she was able to join another one the following fall. BUT I don't recommend planning on going that route because she DID take a spot from someone else. However, I think if she had LOVED her sorority and the school, she would have stayed. So, you never know until you try!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Does anyone know how likely it is to get a bid as a sophomore transfer at Texas Tech?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loalywh96 View Post
...if I decide to transfer to Tech…. Honestly, I already paid my rush fee and have my school and stuff paid for. I could get down there and love it, but in case I do decide to transfer I figured this would be a valid concern. Nothing is set in stone as of right now.
I think the OP is really just mentally running through some "what-if" scenarios. If both schools offer the degree program she needs, she might feel right at home at Texas State if she found a sorority to call home. Texas Tech is a "maybe" at best, while Texas State is definitely part of her immediate future.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Right, Im keeping my options open. Both Tech and State have the degree programs that I am majoring in. I was just wondering for example if I did get into xyz and Tech also had xyz if it would be ideal for me to affiliate if I were given the chance. I'm simply just running through my options and didn't know where else I could ask this.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Honestly, members transferring and affiliating with another school is not soooo common that we can easily say what time of year is best.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

it would be ideal only if the chapter is a fit for you. Every chapter is different. And there is no guarantee that they would invite you to affiliate. You have to think about that, too. It's a two way street.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My sister in law was in a sorority at Tech and she has been talking to me about it and sort of briefed me on what affiliating is but not exactly the process. She did say that her chapter voted. I do understand that it is a two way street though, I was just exploring my options and trying to get more information to help me better understand.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Something to consider: you affiliate, and then something happens and you are no longer able to afford your dues. Had you not affiliated, you'd still be a member and retain all the rights and privileges and benefits of membership. Unfortunately, you now have to resign.

I've seen this happen more than once.

I've also seen women affiliate and not fit in, and as a result have a very unhappy experience. Every chapter has its own culture and personality.

Like we keep saying, so many variables, so many things can change, so many things to consider. Your cousin's chapter may vote, but others may not. Oh, I already said that. Sorry.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity