GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,142
Threads: 114,217
Welcome to our newest member, aannatlitle232

Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ksw33t
decisions..decisions.

hey~ I'm in the process of making about 10million decisions about school..
I've been debating on whether or not to join the living/learning community for my major..They require you to attend some of their events,ect.Have any of you been in one? Did you like it? Did the activities "get in the way" of your greek life? I plan on applying for honors and also rushing...I don't want to be completely overwhelmed..but then again maybe it's a good way to stay balanced. Any suggestions?
Thanx!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksw33t View Post
I've been debating on whether or not to join the living/learning community for my major..They require you to attend some of their events,ect.Have any of you been in one? Did you like it? Did the activities "get in the way" of your greek life? I plan on applying for honors and also rushing...I don't want to be completely overwhelmed..but then again maybe it's a good way to stay balanced. Any suggestions?
Thanx!
Sounds a lot like Baylor's HCLLC...which I'm still in after three years because I love it so much. I'm a little reluctant to leave next year, too...but oh well.

Our honors dorm was really quiet during rush, which was great. I got plenty of sleep in time for parties. I just regret not knowing many people going through rush with me beforehand. As in, I knew pretty much nobody and everyone else knew dorm-mates from outside Honors Land.

Honors or major communities also tend to be a little quieter than everywhere else on campus, which is great because you don't have to walk all the way to the library to get any work done.

The nicer facilities of an honors dorm (usually they're a step up from everyone else's) make it worth it, although get used to having all honors friends until recruitment comes around (if there's spring recruitment). Or not--there's still plenty you can join to get out of the "honors bubble."

I know a lot of folks who are honors--both in and out of the honors community--and in a sorority. Heck, my sorority ended up with a lot of them!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved my learning community. I have lots of very fond memories with the people I met in the community. You should do it!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ksw33t
I guess another dilemma I have is I really wanted to live in honor's housing..I can be in both honors and living/learning..but If I get accepted into living/learning..I can't live in honors housing.. (i find out about acceptance to living learning comm be4 honors.)..geez so many complications~lol
Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksw33t View Post
Thanx!
i never lived in one but was an RA in a building that had them. i will say all of the residents who CHOSE to live on a living/learning community floor LOVED it. they were a lot more receptive to being social on the floor, in the hall and with their RA. i think its great academically if you are on a floor that based on a common class or major. one hall of ours on campus (an all freshman hall) each floor was grouped by which essay writing class you had. and each floor had a classroom so for at least one class on our schedule you dont even have to leave the building or get dressed! so no excuses to be late to class, the professor comes to you! and it helps with studying and networking for sure.

now whether being on a living learning community floor interferes with being greek... it comes down to time management, just like anything else in college. i knew residents who did both... i knew RAs of thosse floors who did both. you get what you put in... so if you want both experiences to be quality, then be sure to priortize.

if you are looking at it in a housing standpoint, i guess if you went greek you'd move into the sorority house. again, youd have to decide: do you want the sorority house or the floor? the floor will only last a year, the sorority house will always be there. again, depends on the relationships you build.

(i feel like an RA again - all this living learning community Q&A was jammed down our throat for orientation. we had to know it in and out because apparently it originated at my school?)