GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,386
3 members and 1,383 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
@ LibraMunoz: Is your Mom a D9 member? The OP's Mom is. If I was her Mom I would have been ticked off. I mean give me time to process it before you actually become a member of another sorority other than my own. But then I would have moved on.

Glad I didn't have to deal with that.
LG, no, my Mom isn't a part of a D9 org, but her oldest sister was as well as several aunts and cousins.

Nah, she wasn't mad, by the time I'd told her, the process was completed and there wasn't anything she could do, by either of us. But she was very supportive and very happy because it was something that she wanted for us. It was something that she didn't get to do because of where she went to school, the D9 organizations weren't there at the time.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Libra I think your situation is different from the OP's. Your Mom wasn't vested in another D9 sorority. The OP's Mom is. Your Mom could still join you.

The OP's sister knew the Mom would be hurt.

The OP's sister involved the Dad.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
These aren't dependents so why would the sorority be calling the parents instead of the daughter asking her parents for money?
The parents can still claim them while they are in college if they are paying any of the tuition or expenses--or at least they could. I know I did, but tax laws have changed. The parent also then gets the bills. But you are right, in this situation that wouldn't matter anyway.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My sister confirmed that it's just a personal call to the probate show. I am sure that they have no knowledge that my mom is from a different sorority.

Quote:
The parents can still claim them while they are in college if they are paying any of the tuition or expenses--or at least they could. I know I did, but tax laws have changed. The parent also then gets the bills.
You can still be claimed as a dependent until the age of 24 if you are in college. Actually when you try to apply for federal loans (ie fafsa), you must use your parents tax information until you are either 24, married, or have a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
anyone getting the feeling that discretion applies not only to the aspirant but also those around them, or is it just me? sheesh.
I apologize if you feel that I came off with too much information, but I have to disagree with you for 3 reasons.

1-I did not reveal what sorority my mom is in nor which one my sister is trying to join. Nor did I say either was a D9, so that could be dozens of different possibilites.
2-It is not uncommon for a student who is not working, but only a full-time student, to ask his/her parents for the money and/or take out a student loan to pay for the process.
3-My sister isn't the first, second, or last person that will not join her mother (or his father)'s sorority/fraternity.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDancer20 View Post

I apologize if you feel that I came off with too much information, but I have to disagree with you for 3 reasons.

1-I did not reveal what sorority my mom is in nor which one my sister is trying to join. Nor did I say either was a D9, so that could be dozens of different possibilites.
I beg to differ. You referenced the NPHC sororities which are part of the D9.

Quote:
2-It is not uncommon for a student who is not working, but only a full-time student, to ask his/her parents for the money and/or take out a student loan to pay for the process.
By talking about this you introduced your Dad into it telling us he and your mother were no longer married. We didn't have to know that. And I bet your Mom wouldn't appreciate her business being told to complete strangers.

Quote:
3-My sister isn't the first, second, or last person that will not join her mother (or his father)'s sorority/fraternity.
That was never the issue. The issue was the mother not being told in advance.

A bit of advice: quit before you dig your hole deeper.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

The "sister," eh? Sure.

Siblings usually shut up by now. The aspirants themselves usually don't.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The "sister," eh? Sure.

Siblings usually shut up by now. The aspirants themselves usually don't.
I wonder if we will get an invitation to the "probate" show.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
I wonder if we will get an invitation to the "probate" show.
Maybe it will be put on youtube and posted on GC.
(I feel a particular way about certain types of videos posted on youtube. In fact, I see no point in youtube unless it involves music and music videos)

On another note, there's a reason why prospective new members don't tell everyone that they are going through the process. When you release information to "outsiders," you can't control where the info ends up. It might end up on GC. People have to think about who they trust and who knows how to shut up.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Does "the call" remind anyone else of the mysterious "thing" that pops up in some of the recruitment stories?

Quote:
In fact, I see no point in youtube unless it involves music and music videos
Totally agree.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

I'm very unfamiliar with "the call." Prospectives can call their own peoples if they need money or want to invite them to something (where nonmembers are welcome).

We only called Sorors, who were the aspirants' family members and friends, to invite them to members-only and all-welcome events.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I beg to differ. You referenced the NPHC sororities which are part of the D9.

By talking about this you introduced your Dad into it telling us he and your mother were no longer married. We didn't have to know that. And I bet your Mom wouldn't appreciate her business being told to complete strangers.

That was never the issue. The issue was the mother not being told in advance.

A bit of advice: quit before you dig your hole deeper.
Ok I did say that my sister was looking 1 of the 4 sororities (D9) but not that my mom was in a D9. Note that I am not the OP of this message. And my parents have been divorced for over 15 years lol. It's not that big of a secret or a big deal anymore. The reason I mentioned them being divorced was as a way of saying that its not like she purposely went home and pulled my dad aside to ask for the money behind my mom's back. She didn't plan to tell my dad either until she realized she needed the money. My sister won't be the first person either to not tell her parents upfront that she was going thru MIP of a greek org.

I am not the person going through the process. The reason I am still talking because I wanted to point out that I felt differently about previous posts that I am oversharing. I have never heard of "the call" either, but I am only going by what I was told was going to happen. Obviously different sororities and/or different chapters do things differently. I would understand your concern if I was like "yea my sister is going through MIP for Xi Chi Beta and we live in missouri and she goes to the University of Missouri."(for example). Everything that I have listed here have been basic questions that any person could go through. People get divorced ALL THE TIME. Students go to one parent over the other when they need money. Plus I am sure that not ALL students run home to tell their parents the minute they get the phone call that they were selected to go through MIP for the sorority/fraternity. Nothing new there guys.

And the original question: How do you tell your mom you are joining a different sorority before she finds out through an outside source?

Last edited by CDancer20; 03-24-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate you ladies trying to hint at me to use more discretion, and I will keep that in mind in future post.

All of my posts here past the original question have been in response to questions asked as a way to give someone trying to answer the question a better understanding of the situation without, what I feel, reveals too many details.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate you ladies trying to hint at me to use more discretion, and I will keep that in mind in future post.

All of my posts here past the original question have been in response to questions asked as a way to give someone trying to answer the question a better understanding of the situation without, what I feel, reveals too many details.
Learn when to SHUT UP!

You are the OP of the thread to which the current responses are being given. And in fact, you put a different spin on what the first OP asked. She specified first generation college students in reference to the fact that the parents would not understand about Greek Life. As far the inferences and implications, remember in whose forum you are. If the orgs weren't relevant to us why not name them?

Last edited by ladygreek; 03-25-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is actually a great question that my younger sister is going through right now. Our mom is a member of "ABC" sorority. While originally my sister did entertain the idea of joining the sorority, it was later changed when she transferred schools and started learning about the "XYZ" sorority (the only of the 4 NPHC sororities not suspended off campus for hazing). My sister's probate show is coming soon and she wants my mom to attend. Plus she knows that soon my mom will be getting the call from the sorority soon so wants to give her the heads up first.

How should she go about expressing to my mom that she followed her heart and decided what was best for her and joined a different sorority?
It seems like she took what was available, regardless...