GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,150
1 members and 1,149 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

"Panhellenic Friendly"...Fact or Fiction?

My school has six panhellenic sororities on campus, all of which are great but have no clue how to work together. Our sororities on campus are ridiculously segregated and against uniting/doing things together. Our greek life is suffering while other campuses get tons of support from their administration because the sororities work together. Our administration has turned their back on us and no one seems to care. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to bridge this debilitating gap? I plan to bring it up in the fall at the panhellenic meeting but I want to be able to present solutions not just a complaint.... PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by layla88; 06-28-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you a PH officer or delegate? Just wondering....anyway, have you talked with your GA? Does he/she have the same feelings about the groups? How about a PH mixer? Just the 6 PH groups - no guys! We had one on our campus that was well attended. If you have PH education sessions, bringing in a speaker would be good as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

there must be member of the other sororities who think they way you do. maybe you and these women could start a grass roots effort that would grow that way.

could you convince panhellenic to initiate a reward system for panhellenic cooperation? maybe have awards for panhellenic spirit, support of others charities, etc.

Do you have houses and if so are meals served? you could have dinner exchanges where some of your members visit ABC sorority for dinner and some of the ABCs visit you for dinner. We always had our most outgoing members serve as hostesses during these dinners, and we pretended like we were rushing these girls-not selling our sorority to them, but asking them similar questions as those we ask during recruitment to get to know them a little better. if no meals are served, maybe you could rent a room on campus or go to a nearby picnic area and have a covered dish meal with one sorority.

Do you think that panhellenic would host a jeopardy type show where members of the 6 sororities would compete to answer questions about the other sororities?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My campus had "Tuesday Night Dinners" where one organization or chapter would host every week, and chapters got "points" for having a certain percentage of their chapter attending. I don't remember many of the specifics though, unfortunately.

Encouraging other chapters to participate in your philanthropy activities as well as actively participating in theirs goes a long way, though. We did a Mr & Miss GU pageant where each chapter would sponsor a contestant, the other chapters loved participating, and we responded in kind whenever they had their big philanthropy events. I never gave more personal money to charities than I did when I was a collegian on campus!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla88 View Post
My school has six panhellenic sororities on campus, all of which are great but have no clue how to work together. Our sororities on campus are ridiculously segregated and against uniting/doing things together. Our greek life is suffering while other campuses get tons of support from their administration because the sororities work together. Our administration has turned their back on us and no one seems to care. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to bridge this debilitating gap? I plan to bring it up in the fall at the panhellenic meeting but I want to be able to present solutions not just a complaint.... PLEASE HELP!
When does your rush occur? How is it set up?

How many fraternities does your campus have? Is there a custom of fraternities and sororities "pairing up" and acting in a proprietary way with each other? (If so, stop it immediately.)

Do the groups have alumnae support and active/involved alumnae and advisors?

I agree w/ Titchou about the Panhellenic mixer. So much silly crap and backbiting happens because of guy stuff and you all need to get together and laugh at them.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Or do a PH philanthropy event...or community service event.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Two words...progressive dinner!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Great ideas! Have any other suggestions besides jeopardy to initiate all 6? It sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but I think competitive games has been the main issue in our divide. Between Derby Days, Greek Week and Miss Greek... girls have been given plenty of chances to be caddy and unsportsmanlike, which has only caused more unrest. I believe we need things that bring us together in a cooperative and engaging way... I'm just stumped!

I'm also very intrigued by the progressive dinner idea.... care to share more?! I have a general idea, but how exactly does this work?!

Last edited by layla88; 06-28-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

One house has salad, the next appetizers, the next the main course, the next a cheese plate, the next dessert, and the last coffee.

Or something like that. Start at one house, work your way through the rest.

You may also do a pot-luck where the requirement is that you don't sit next to someone from your chapter.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I knew who to suggest this to.. my campus is in serious need of some of the ideas you all have given to the OP. I was very excited to join greek life at my school, but after just one year I've seen just how segregated all of our organizations are as a whole.

That said, I really love the idea of PH mixers and the jeopardy game. I think maybe if all of our groups got to mingle and meet one another, things would be a little better.

Great topic, OP.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingstars View Post
I wish I knew who to suggest this to.. my campus is in serious need of some of the ideas you all have given to the OP. I was very excited to join greek life at my school, but after just one year I've seen just how segregated all of our organizations are as a whole.

That said, I really love the idea of PH mixers and the jeopardy game. I think maybe if all of our groups got to mingle and meet one another, things would be a little better.

Great topic, OP.
Pitch it to your panhel rep before the first meeting. Also, talk to other sisters about it so it has some chapter support. Easy peasy.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla88 View Post
Great ideas! Have any other suggestions besides jeopardy to initiate all 6? It sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but I think competitive games has been the main issue in our divide. Between Derby Days, Greek Week and Miss Greek... girls have been given plenty of chances to be catty and unsportsmanlike, which has only caused more unrest. I believe we need things that bring us together in a cooperative and engaging way... I'm just stumped!
Make sure all those activities are judged by OUTSIDE people - not by the Sigma Chi brothers themselves and not by IFC or Panhel's exec boards - if it's things like a lip sync or beauty contest you need someone who's completely impartial. Get some of the professors (better yet, some of the retired professors) or local merchants to do it. For DD, maybe the Sigma Chi advisor or some of their older alums, but not the active brothers. Not only is it a good way to make certain the judging is fair, it also tends to keep things a bit cleaner as far as songs/routines/etc are concerned.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Do you all have houses, suites, or chapter rooms? This wouldn't work on every campus, but it worked on ours, because most of the sororities had a floor in the same dorm: study breas. During Midterms and Finals, we would invite all of the other sororities for a study break between say, 11pm and midnight. No men or cameras allowed! That way, everyone could wear what they wanted without trying to impress anyone else. We kept a large coffee urn full of coffee and another full of hot water, and a large selection of teas, hot chocolate, sugar/sugar substitutes, and goodies that our alumnae donated. It was a great chance to bond over hating organic chemistry or a certain professor. Oh, and you'll want to set an alarm, too - study breaks by definition need to be in the middle of studying!

We did have three sororities not in our dorm, but we invited them, too. Sometimes they came, sometimes they didn't, but it did give us a good reputation throughout the Panhellenic community.

ETA: Before you start with any of these projects, I'd see if I could get at least 1-2 members of each sorority on campus to see the wisdom in Panhellenic Unity, and at least 1/10th of your own sorority. It will be easier for everyone to accept when they see that there's already women behind the idea.

Last edited by honeychile; 06-28-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems that your problem is twofold- you need the sororities to work together, and you need the support of the administration. Have you talked to any of your panhellenic exec members or your panhellenic delegate? They might share your desires to create a more cohesive Greek community. It might be easiest in the beginning to initiate change within your own chapter- invite another chapter to have dinner with you, to do a service project with you, or even just come to your house or suite one week after your chapter meeting for snacks and chitchat. Set a precedent that other chapters will want to follow, and then future endeavors (maybe with all six chapters) will be easier and people will be more excited about it. This is how things started a few years ago on our campus- with a couple of chapters initiating two-sorority events- and now it has become the norm to do service projects, seminars, game nights, etc with other chapters. Starting too big, such as a 6-chapter event, might be too big of a step to start with.

I would also suggest bringing up your concerns about cooperation with the administration at a panhel meeting. You'd be surprised what good can come from opening the lines of communication- especially if the school admin know that you are working towards better cooperation. They can help outline what they want from you, and in turn, what they can do to help you.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

On my campus we're starting a NPC philanthropy. We plan on a having a field day this fall to promote it and each sorority has to have a minimum number of girls participate. We want to keep it fun and competitive but not pit the sororities against each other like in all the other on campus functions. Soooo we've decided to have 1-2 girls from every house on each team. It is a way to meet girls from other houses and work together. I'm really excited for the experience and think it'll be great!