GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,418
2 members and 1,416 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking For Sorority in NYC

Hey, I'm looking for a sorority in NYC! I'm a member of Alpha Gamma Delta - Zeta Chapter (at Ohio University), and I'm interning in NYC over the summer, and I'm wondering if there's a sorority in NYC that would let me rent out a room at the sorority house while I"m interning! Please replyyyy
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyann View Post
Hey, I'm looking for a sorority in NYC! I'm a member of Alpha Gamma Delta - Zeta Chapter (at Ohio University), and I'm interning in NYC over the summer, and I'm wondering if there's a sorority in NYC that would let me rent out a room at the sorority house while I"m interning! Please replyyyy
Is this even common practice?

Why not look into short-term apartments or extended-stay hotels?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Is this even common practice?

Why not look into short-term apartments or extended-stay hotels?
Probably not, but I'd recommend using an AGD list serve or sister's only forum and see if any of her sisters in NYC have a room to rent out.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Probably not, but I'd recommend using an AGD list serve or sister's only forum and see if any of her sisters in NYC have a room to rent out.
I was going to recommend that, too, but that seems like a bit much for the entire duration of the summer.

I could understand "I need a place to crash for a week. Is anyone able to accomodate that?" but not "I need to find ANY Greek that will let me stay with her for 3 months."

Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was going to recommend that, too, but that seems like a bit much for the entire duration of the summer.

I could understand "I need a place to crash for a week. Is anyone able to accomodate that?" but not "I need to find ANY Greek that will let me stay with her for 3 months."
Housing in NYC is crazy though, and I know subletting a room is common and still freaking expensive. Hence looking for a sister in the area who's subletting. I'm not sure how many chapters in the city have houses, or if she's looking outside the city and commuting but either way odds are the houses are closed over the summer I would think.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, I actually just need housing for one month (July 1st-August 1st) because the rest of the summer will be paid for by my internship (they're flying me out to Las Vegas for the entire month of August) I was just wondering if anyone knew of how to reach sororities located in NYC, and then I would call/email and see where they are each located and if they would let me rent a room. One of my friends is doing that right now in NYC, and I don't know how she did it! Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey, I actually just need housing for one month (July 1st-August 1st) because the rest of the summer will be paid for by my internship (they're flying me out to Las Vegas for the entire month of August) I was just wondering if anyone knew of how to reach sororities located in NYC, and then I would call/email and see where they are each located and if they would let me rent a room. One of my friends is doing that right now in NYC, and I don't know how she did it! Any ideas?
Thanks for the clarification.

I've never heard of Greeks renting out rooms in their houses to outsiders (and, like Drolefille said, the houses may not even be open). You probably want to ask your friend what she did.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah sounds like your friend may be the best resource, otherwise start with AGD and look up their chapters in the city and make some phone calls or send emails.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

For risk management and/or zoning reasons, I can't imagine that an official house might rent to non-students.

Do you guys have a sisters-only board? I've seen similar requests on ours. Networking through your own sorority is probably better than asking here.

There are sites out there that advertise subletting, rooms for rent, etc.; you just need to be careful and do your homework.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you tried Facebook or Linked In? I see AGDs trying to network through Linked in all of the time. I don't think it would hurt to send a message out to the Group. Or, you may contact NYU Greek Life to see if any chapter is renting out rooms/subletting, but I believe they are suites.

Knight Shadow, it is common practice in Ohio to find some chapters renting out rooms for summer. I was lucky enought to live in the chapter house one summer, and lived with girls not just from my chapter, but Pi Phi, Alpha Phi and AEPhi. We had an absolute blast. Ironically, my sister-in-law lived there for one month the following summer and she was independent.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

one of my guy friends rented a room from a fraternity at columbia but i am not sure if the sororities have houses too. you could look into that because i can't think of any other schools in new york city besides columbia that would have houses.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa at GWU does this, but I think it may be just for SK members.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi BrittanyAnn! Welcome to GreekChat. Come on over to the Alpha Gam forum (if you haven't already.. I haven't read it yet today). There is an Area Coordinator who lives in NYC who I can talk to and find out if she knows anybody who is renting, etc. Send me a private message by clicking on my screen name at the top of this post and clicking Send a Private Message. I'm an Area Coordinator for Area E (Wisconsin, IL, IN and part of Michigan).
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I've never heard of Greeks renting out rooms in their houses to outsiders (and, like Drolefille said, the houses may not even be open). You probably want to ask your friend what she did.
The sororities on my campus were closed over the summer, but quite a few fraternities rented out rooms to men and women, rather cheaply. I lived in one fraternity the summer after my freshman year and then a different one the summer after my junior year. It was definitely an experience, but definitely cheaper than subletting for the summer. Fun, too!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post
one of my guy friends rented a room from a fraternity at columbia but i am not sure if the sororities have houses too. you could look into that because i can't think of any other schools in new york city besides columbia that would have houses.
They have houses. Whether they will allow a border is different.