GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,334
1 members and 1,333 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Colonizing Sorority

Okay so I'm rushing a colonizing sorority this fall and they are making this new pledge class of 150 girls. From what most people have told me is that everyone will get a bid however I'm still curious if it's even possible for me to not get a bid or the stuff someone has to do wrong to not get one?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know who told you they will take everyone but that is not true. there will be interviews, a pref - maybe a theme party - and a bid day. You will sign up for interviews and the other events will be invitation only. They will interview everyone who signs up but not necessarily invite everyone to any party. Grade requirements will be in effect. Being rude to your interviewer, dressing inappropriately, acting inappropriately (chomping gum/smoking/), acting immature, etc could get you released. In other words, the requirements of regular requirement are still in effect.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG13 View Post
Okay so I'm rushing a colonizing sorority this fall and they are making this new pledge class of 150 girls. From what most people have told me is that everyone will get a bid however I'm still curious if it's even possible for me to not get a bid or the stuff someone has to do wrong to not get one?
Point of information: each sorority conducts membership selection during a colonization process just like any other recruitment activity. It is definitely possible to not receive a bid, as we have had women on GC participate in large chapter colonizations and be released.

Membership selection criteria is private to each sorority, so we are not able to discuss what teams look at when selecting PNMs.

In terms of not getting a bid, there are a number of things that could be the cause. In addition to what Titchou said, it is possible that there could just be too many PNMs. For example, if XYZ Sorority is allowed to take a maximum of 150 women, and 250 sign up, not everyone is going to receive a bid. There are also GPA requirements, so anyone not meeting those standards is likely not going to receive a bid as well. You could also just not conversationally click with your interviewers. If you just kind of robot talk and don't show personality, that may affect you as well.

There are other possible scenarios as well, but your best bet is to focus on how to present yourself the best way! Good luck to you!

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Simple... this is not like formal rush. They are not required to give a bid to every girl that is invited to pref.

It is conceivable that the colonizing team may be even MORE cautious extending bids. They will want to make that charter class is as exceptional as possible, to get off on the right foot on campus. A bad reputation, too many nights out drinking and getting sloppy, or really bad attitude and you will not get a bid.

Please don't think that it will be a slam dunk. Be sure to get a recommendation for the sorority.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM

With the colonization that is big enough to have 150 girls at its inception, everyone will most definitely NOT get a bid. As others mentioned the colonization team will be very careful who they pick.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The 150 is most likely the cap number given to the sorority by the school or that the team itself has set. There is nothing that says they HAVE to take 150. The original new member class can easily be 140 or what ever. They are not required to take everyone anymore than the chapters are required to take everyone during formal rush. I have never been on a colonizing team but I can assure you they are looking for women with leadership skills who can help develop the chapter on the campus, women who are scholastically sound-- after all you do not attend school for just the Greek Life but for an education, women who will represent the new chapter in a positive light. You have a reputation of getting drunk, sleeping with anyone and everyone, bad mouth the Greek system, have an arrest record, are obviously on drugs when you go for your interview, etc, there is no chance the colonizing team will extend an invitation to you.

Be yourself! Have confidence in yourself! Have fun!

Good Luck.

DaffyKD
Old 07-29-2015, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
The 150 is most likely the cap number given to the sorority by the school or that the team itself has set. There is nothing that says they HAVE to take 150. The original new member class can easily be 140 or what ever. They are not required to take everyone anymore than the chapters are required to take everyone during formal rush. I have never been on a colonizing team but I can assure you they are looking for women with leadership skills who can help develop the chapter on the campus, women who are scholastically sound-- after all you do not attend school for just the Greek Life but for an education, women who will represent the new chapter in a positive light. You have a reputation of getting drunk, sleeping with anyone and everyone, bad mouth the Greek system, have an arrest record, are obviously on drugs when you go for your interview, etc, there is no chance the colonizing team will extend an invitation to you.

Be yourself! Have confidence in yourself! Have fun!

Good Luck.

DaffyKD
At the very least, IIRC, the colony is capped at house total. They are going to try to build the chapter to total and then they have to stop.

The colony can turn PNMs down. I was on a CAB for a colony and was around for recruitment, not everyone who was interviewed or attended parties was given a bid. There were some regrets sent out. (I wasn't a recruiter, though.)

There was some effort to balance the colony on a class-by-class basis. There were a lot of freshmen and sophomores, some juniors and a handful of seniors in the colony. The seniors were only around for a short time, but they were invaluable in providing leadership and a more mature outlook for the chapter.

"Be yourself" is good advice, but you should be careful to present yourself as your BEST self -- be polished, kind, and friendly as much as you can.

Good luck!