GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,201
1 members and 1,200 guests
aradativanovay8

Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I have one history book that shows the evolution of a COA, I have to find it and then scan it...Monday perhaps if its not too crazy at work....

The edit button has become my new best friend
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is AOII's. I would tell you what it is, but then I'd have to kill you.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

Here is AOII's. I would tell you what it is, but then I'd have to kill you.
Thanks, ForeverRoses. I knew that AOII does not have a coat of arms (I was thinking of y'all when I said "I am mindful that some organizations do not have coats of arms" in the OP), and knew that you use a Jacqueminot rose as a distinctive symbol. Do you consistently use the emblem that you posted, or might different designs of the Jacqueminot rose be used in different contexts/times?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Somebody correct me if wrong, but most of the CoAs aren't technically correct right?
For women's groups things are iffy, but MysticCat posted about that. Pi Beta Phi's use of the lozenge is more "correct" in terms of women and crests/COA.

You know who knows a lot about heraldry, created COAs and corrected some? Emily Helen Butterfield, the first woman architect in Michigan, and a founding member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Other than us, groups I can think of she worked with are Tau Kappa Epsilon, Theta Phi Alpha, and Sigma Tau Gamma, but I know there are others I've forgotten.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
You know who knows a lot about heraldry, created COAs and corrected some? Emily Helen Butterfield, the first woman architect in Michigan, and a founding member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Other than us, groups I can think of she worked with are Tau Kappa Epsilon, Theta Phi Alpha, and Sigma Tau Gamma, but I know there are others I've forgotten.
Definitely. Per The Wiki, she designed or helped design/revise the arms for Alpha Kappa Psi, Sigma Delta Rho, Sigma Tau Gamma, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Zeta Tau Alpha, Phi Beta, Theta Upsilon Omega (later merged with Sigma Phi Epsilon) and Theta Kappa Nu (later merged with Lambda Chi Alpha), Lambda Omega (later merged with Delta Zeta).
Old 08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha Crest:

(sorry it's massive, I could only find really small ones or really huge ones)

Pledge Sister Pin:

Badge of Initiated Sisters:

Our "Tagline Logo":

This is probably my favorite TPA symbol because of the 4 interconnected links in it and the variety of things they can represent.

Θ Φ Α

Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
If you are allowed to say so, why is one wearable and the others not?
I really don't know. The first image (the Fraternal Design) was created because the crest was not deemed appropriate to wear. (Every now and then you will find very old sweaters with the crest on them though)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Doesn't Delta Delta Delta have the trident?
Yes, you're right! Pi Phi also has a potential deadly weapon in their arrow. I stand corrected.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Definitely. Per The Wiki, she designed or helped design/revise the arms for Alpha Kappa Psi, Sigma Delta Rho, Sigma Tau Gamma, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Zeta Tau Alpha, Phi Beta, Theta Upsilon Omega (later merged with Sigma Phi Epsilon) and Theta Kappa Nu (later merged with Lambda Chi Alpha), Lambda Omega (later merged with Delta Zeta).
I wasn't sure of the wiki, so I went off my own research/memory. I found it interesting she was working with George Banta and allegedly did "crests for hire" via BPA for new and emerging organizations. I'm proud to say my chapter is one of the last who received a hand done Butterfield charter as we were installed the year of her death. Maybe we need to add that to our emergency exit procedure so someone grabs it off the wall in the event of fire or flood.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a monochrome version of our coat of arms, often also seen in lavender. I couldn't find a good, full color version so I'll go with this one.
Quote:
The Sigma Kappa coat-of-arms reflects the familiar symbols of the sorority - the dove, the violet, the Greek letters, and maroon and lavender. Adopted in 1911, the coat-of-arms consists of a maroon shield with a diagonal bar of gold, bearing five lavender stars; the lower portion a coiled serpent. Above is a wreath of alternate maroon and gold, surmounted by a dove in silver, with outspread wings, all beneath an arch of gold rays. Below is a scroll of silver, bearing in black the open motto and the date 1874. The significance of the coat-of-arms is revealed only during the ceremony of Initiation.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Yes, you're right! Pi Phi also has a potential deadly weapon in their arrow. I stand corrected.
And don't forget our snake
Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I know our crest appears early on . . .

. . but I thought I'd cut and paste from our website.

Sorority Symbols

Founded November 11, 1874
Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
Flower: Pink Carnation
The carnation was named our official flower at Convention 1888. In 1950, members affirmed the color. Carnations have been revered for more than 2,000 years as one of the most longlasting flowers. Many varieties produce a clove-like scent, and the aroma is said to be both uplifting and motivating. The legend of pink carnations says they first appeared on earth from the Virgin Mary’s tears – making them the symbol of a mother’s undying love.
Colors: Brown and Mode (dark and light brown)
The Founders first selected dark and light blue, but after only a few months, they agreed to change the colors in honor of one of their mentors. Dr. John J. Brown allowed the women to utilize his study at Syracuse University for meetings. At Convention 1887, the decision was affirmed.
Symbol: Crescent Moon
Founder Mary A. Bingham contributed the idea of a crescent as part of the badge design. The crescent stands for growth of the Sorority and its individual members.
"We . . . must show growth in knowledge, wisdom, power, womanliness year by year or we are not living up to our chosen symbol." Sara Preston Finley (University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, 1912)

Open Motto: Founded Upon a Rock
"Since the rock is the firmest and most enduring substance, able to withstand the ravages of time, and offering the strongest protection, it seemed fitting that Gamma Phi Beta should be thus founded." Founder E. Adeline Curtis

Crest
Our crest, or shield, was envisioned by Gertrude Comfort Morrow (University of California-Berkeley), the winner of a Sorority-wide design contest in 1915. The meaning behind its individual components, including the lamp, book, crescent, Greek letters and carnations, is revealed to members during the initiation ceremony. At Convention 1927, delegates affirmed that the crest could only be worn by initiated members who were able to understand and appreciate the ideals within.

eta - and I love, love, love our badge - A monogram badge? A symbol badge? It's two, two, two types of badges in one! Our beautiful crescent in black enamel with the Hebrew word - revealed during initiation or if you are a Hebrew scholar - and a gorgeous monogram in the center.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 08-20-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Part 2

Ok Part 2!

As I mentioned earlier, Delta Chi did not have a Coat of Arms until 1899, nine years after our founding. The Coat of Arms was designed by Fraser Brown and Roy V. Rhodes. Brown and Rhodes were fellow heraldry nerds and roommates in the Cornell Chapter House. They designed the Coat of Arms one day over Easter Break when everyone else in the house had left Ithaca for the holiday. They made and discarded several designs before retrieving the Ritual Book and using it as a guide. This is an early version, and as close as I can get to the arms designed by Brown and Rhodes in 1899:

The design we have today has a few modification, but maintains the same principles that Brown and Rhodes intended. Our Coat of Arms is meant to be a "marriage" or union of two "families." That of our spiritual founder Sir Edward Coke, and that of the knight errant, the feudal predecessor to law enforcing justice. Sir Edward Coke is represented by the martlets, peculiar heraldic birds depicted without feet. They fly to the left like the Pegasus on the arms of the Inner Temple where Coke studied law, and are black denoting their secret meaning to the fraternity. The knight errant is represented by his weapons, the battle-ax and scimitar.

Above is a version of the Coat of Arms from an 1930s Quarterly. It is my favorite depiction because of the graceful lines of the shield - it is still used today, mostly on stationary. Below is the modern, standard version of the Coat of Arms. In "heraldry speak" our Coat of Arms would be described "Quarterly, first and fourth or, three martlets volant sable, 2 and 1, second and third gules, a battle ax bendwise crossing a scimitar blade pointing upward, saltirewise proper. Crest: On a wreath of the colors the badge of Delta Chi proper. Motto: LEGES."

Some of the changes were made after Brown and Rhodes, and Rhodes at least was not a big fan. "One of these changes was the addition of a lot of what appear to be rivets around the edges of the shield and which do not, in my opinion, improve the appearance." he said in a 1930 letter.

In the same letter Rhodes makes a statement regarding our legal heritage which I think at least other Delta Chis will appreciate. "It is at once apparent that the arms are largely significant of the tradition of the law. This is natural inasmuch as Delta Chi was organized as a law fraternity and continued as such until a few years ago. I see no reason, however, why there should be any desire to change any of the symbols, for they are all well adapted to the uses of a general fraternity. Without law there can be no civilization and the fraternity may well feel proud of its early ideals and
foundation."

Brevity is clearly not my forte.

Last edited by Gusteau; 08-20-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

ZBT's Coat-of-Arms (National Insigna) was designed in 1910. Two years later, the COA was modified by adding the 20 Pearls around the diamond which represented the 20 active chapters ZBT had in operation when they received formal recognition into the NIC in March 1912. The 4 points of the diamond represented the chapters of the North, South, East and West.

3D Version.

ZBT:"Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
the COA was modified by adding the 20 Pearls around the diamond which represented the 20 active chapters ZBT had in operation when they received formal recognition into the NIC in March 1912.
That is really cool!!! I love little bits of history like this!