GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,498
1 members and 1,497 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb New Delta Jewelry concept...opinions needed.

Hello Ladies of Delta Sigma Theta! Let me introduce myself before just waltzing in..my name is Lindsey..Hi . Ok, I design jewelry and other things and I am planning on doing some pieces targeted towards members of sororities on my campus, including DST. Before anyone jumps on me telling me to consult the members on my campus , let me say that I have done that, and they liked what I have to offer. I do not infringe upon Delta's vendor rules, because I dont use letters. I use silver elephant charms and red and white glass beads to accent my creations. I just had an idea come to me and I wanted to consult with some Deltas from more than one age demographic. I have an Aunt and two cousins that are Delta's, but I havent been able to get in contact with them since Hurricane Katrina. They are okay..i just havent been able to reach them months later...anyway, I read in another para thread that many of you like the "My _______ is a Delta" for litte girls. How would you all feel about jewelry to go along with those types of items? Like red and white cute little earrings and bracelets designed for children. Would adding a little elephant to the children's jewelry be too presumptuous? Please let me know your opinions. I appreciate the candor that is displayed all throughout the Delta threads on this site, that is why I am consulting with you all. Even if I get a thumbs up or down, I will post pictures to get more opinions. I think it is disrespectful of any one to put out any type merchandise targeted towards a group and its less than top-quality, inappropriate, or just not something that the members would want to purchase--that's why I am asking first. Let me know Ladies. Thanks for your time

Last edited by Ms.CEO; 02-15-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2006, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My advice is don't do it.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
^^^^ I agree. Not everyone likes "My _______ is a Delta" no matter if it's a shirt, handbag, tote, so on. If you are not making items for members, why would you make it for non-members??
Old 02-15-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks Ladygreek and treblk for the feedback. And to answer your question treblk, i will/do have items that may be of interest to members...the kiddie idea just came as a result of reading the comments by other members on the thread that addressed the "My mom/aunt/whomever is a Delta" on items for children and how some members like to dress their children in the colors of their organization. I made my godchild a mini age appropriate version of some earrings I made for her mom, and they both liked them. Just seeing if anyone else would like the idea but applied in the greek world using unofficial symbols that people would still have an appreciation for.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaVero
Jewelry concepts...

To piggy back off of other comments...if you are using unofficial symbols, don't do it. If you are using official symbols, first become an licensed vendor.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Keep it classy

Well as a mother of a 3 year old daughter I have purchased little elephant earrings for my daughter as well as elephant charms to go on her necklaces (I am not a fan of the "My Mommy is a Delta" items for children over 4 years of age). As long as the kiddie items do not have our letters on it I don't see anything wrong with you marketing them. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and I'm only going off the brief description you gave of your ideas- I'm sure there are some of my Sorors that would give you a thumbs up and quite a few that would lean the other way.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

P.S

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaVero
To piggy back off of other comments...if you are using unofficial symbols, don't do it. If you are using official symbols, first become an licensed vendor.
I agree with my Soror DeltaVero, if you plan to use official symbols it is a great idea to become a licensed vendor. Again, if you are just talking about using red/white, which are not our official colors, and elephants, which are not official Delta symbols, I don't see a problem with it. Good Luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

just an update..Ladies, I am well aware of Delta's vendor licensing program. In fact, I emailed Ms.Nicole Lenon regarding vendor certification in Dec. She contacted me back and I sent her my mailing address, but I havent heard anything yet. Like I said, the childrens jewelry was just an idea ... I guess since different people have different opinions about the kiddie gear in general, there will be mixed ideas about this. I am looking forward to becoming a licenced vendor one day so I can showcase some of the pieces I did as GIFTS. One was a sterling silver necklace with sterling silver greek alphabet block letters and red and white swarovski crystal spacers. My aunt really liked it...Next time I go home I'll get a picture of it, if I dont make another one first(as an EXAMPLE).

I know the elephant is unofficial, but I know all of you have them in various forms. I mean if you see a pair of nice elephant earrings/necklace/bracelet/etc would any of you purchase? I've consulted with members from the chapter at my school, and they said if they saw nice elephant jewelry they would purchase it. Yes, I plan on doing items with letters, but ONLY AFTER certification, b/c its just not worth the hassle any other way. As far as the elephant jewelry in general ( and lets just assume that it is very nice ), would that be ok to sell? Seeing as the elephant is unofficial, are there any rules that you all follow when purchasing elephant jewelry, or special things you look for ---if I am invading some kind of secret territory..my apologies(just taking precautions)--- And before anyone's alarm goes off..I am not trying to sell anything to anybody now. I am just doing my research, beforehand. Thanks to all those who have left feedback so far, because ALL of it is welcome

Last edited by Ms.CEO; 02-15-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I do buy elephant jewelry, but it is not marketed as Delta jewelry. Also just for the record, red and white are our OFFICIAL substitute colors for crimson and cream.

So I guess the bottom line is how you market your pieces. If you are marketing them as "for that Delta legacy" then I don't think it is a good idea. If you are marketing them as companion pieces to Mom's jewelry, with no reference to Delta, then I don't see a problem.

From the sound of it your jewelry is beautiful. I would love for you to become a certified vendor.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Also just for the record, red and white are our OFFICIAL substitute colors for crimson and cream.
Thank you for mentioning that bit of info and for the record I knew that already .
Old 02-16-2006, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
I do buy elephant jewelry, but it is not marketed as Delta jewelry. Also just for the record, red and white are our OFFICIAL substitute colors for crimson and cream.

So I guess the bottom line is how you market your pieces. If you are marketing them as "for that Delta legacy" then I don't think it is a good idea. If you are marketing them as companion pieces to Mom's jewelry, with no reference to Delta, then I don't see a problem.

From the sound of it your jewelry is beautiful. I would love for you to become a certified vendor.
What she said
Old 02-17-2006, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I have ALL kinds of elephant jewelry so yes, I would buy nice pieces.

As for marketing to Deltas, anything other than Officially licensed paraphernalia, I would recommend against it.

In addition, one of my mom's best friends has collected elephants ever since I have known her and she never set foot on a college campus so she is NOT a Delta but she would buy elephant jewelry, too.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaVero
Quote:
Originally posted by Ms.CEO
just an update..Ladies, I am well aware of Delta's vendor licensing program. In fact, I emailed Ms.Nicole Lenon regarding vendor certification in Dec. She contacted me back and I sent her my mailing address, but I havent heard anything yet. Like I said, the childrens jewelry was just an idea ... I guess since different people have different opinions about the kiddie gear in general, there will be mixed ideas about this. I am looking forward to becoming a licenced vendor one day so I can showcase some of the pieces I did as GIFTS. One was a sterling silver necklace with sterling silver greek alphabet block letters and red and white swarovski crystal spacers. My aunt really liked it...Next time I go home I'll get a picture of it, if I dont make another one first(as an EXAMPLE).

I know the elephant is unofficial, but I know all of you have them in various forms. I mean if you see a pair of nice elephant earrings/necklace/bracelet/etc would any of you purchase? I've consulted with members from the chapter at my school, and they said if they saw nice elephant jewelry they would purchase it. Yes, I plan on doing items with letters, but ONLY AFTER certification, b/c its just not worth the hassle any other way. As far as the elephant jewelry in general ( and lets just assume that it is very nice ), would that be ok to sell? Seeing as the elephant is unofficial, are there any rules that you all follow when purchasing elephant jewelry, or special things you look for ---if I am invading some kind of secret territory..my apologies(just taking precautions)--- And before anyone's alarm goes off..I am not trying to sell anything to anybody now. I am just doing my research, beforehand. Thanks to all those who have left feedback so far, because ALL of it is welcome
I appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to become an official vendor. I know people that have great products but are not licensed vendors and this really affects their ability to make more money. You may find some Deltas that will purchase from an unlicensed vendor, however, there are hundreds more that won't.

I own several elephant pieces, as well. However, as others stated, this is not an official symbol. The elephant should not be placed on or adjacent to any of our official symbols. To determine what our official symbols are you would need to be an official licensed vendor. These rules are in place and enforced to protect the sorority and our image.