GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,263
0 members and 1,263 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
No you are not being ridiculous, Panhellenic at my school did this, I was actually surprised it isn't common at other schools.
All groups have the option of going back and inviting someone they released earlier. And they all usually know who these women are. It's not a big deal anywhere I've worked with and I'm talking mostly SEC and southern schools.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
According to a story that Carnation shared in the "Weird Rush Stories" thread, Auburn used to have the policy that pnms who got completely cut were given invitations to a couple of chapters. Maybe Carnation can come on and give a better explanation.
Oh, I bet what you're thinking of is that each sorority was assigned a numeric group of PNMs that we couldn't cut until after second parties so that no one was totally relesed after the first round.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think Panhel making this decision on behalf of the chapters would be unforgiveable. Going back to the chapter and inquiring is one thing - making them do it is something completely different.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I would think Panhel making this decision on behalf of the chapters would be unforgiveable. Going back to the chapter and inquiring is one thing - making them do it is something completely different.
That's what I mean. It starts as inquiring and ends up as forcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Oh, I bet what you're thinking of is that each sorority was assigned a numeric group of PNMs that we couldn't cut until after second parties so that no one was totally relesed after the first round.
Wow, that is kind of awful.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

If anybody remembers the story of Batwoman (Orange and Purple Girl), that's how we ended up with her the second day, dressed as the Star Spangled Banner.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who dropped out after third round and was later able to join one of the groups who invited me to prefs, I'd like to ask that we keep in mind that although we've had the opportunity to observe people dropping for superficial reasons year after year, the girls doing it are typically experiencing recruitment for the very first time.

They probably aren't thinking very rationally and are operating with very hurt feelings and some of the lowest confidence they've ever felt. We might hope that their moms would have a little more perspective, but in these days of hyper-involved parenting that's probably not the case, especially if they weren't members themselves or haven't been closely following recruitment at the campuses where their daughters rush to see other really great girls get results they weren't happy with.

It's a hard time whether you get cut out or drop out, and when we know that we have additional bad news to give them in terms of the realities of COB, maybe trying to think of people we actually like in real life who have made dumb decisions will help us not be as annoyed.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMto2 View Post
dsh - I applaud you for coming here to get information. Check your private messages for information about Auburn COB. God knows I wouldn't post here with all these sharks!
Just wondering, why aren't the daughters the ones coming here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Fratstar View Post
I know this is cold comfort, but I am being told by some fairly sophisticated observers (i.e., upperclass AU fraternity men), that this year's PNM pool and pledge classes are deeper and stronger than in anyone's memory.
"They" say that every year.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Because mommy has to fix it for her little snowflake princess who hasn't ever been denied of what she wanted
Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=ree-Xi;2082174]Just wondering, why aren't the daughters the ones coming here?]

Because she's too embarrassed or thwap, thwap mom is more upset than Susie Snowflake....
Old 08-20-2011, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Maybe the same reason that we have so many people telling their daughters' (or cousins' or whoevers') recruitment stories. I just really don't get that.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally would be mortified if my mom started an account at GC, particularly if she didn't tell me in advance that she had done so.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I were surprised that moms are now posting their DD's (and I still can't help but at that term, btw) rush stories here. I couldn't tell you how many parents I've had to deal with over the past few years. It's awful. I've actually had a student (a college junior) hand me a note, written by his mother, requesting that I 'please excuse my son for missing class on Tuesday. He wasn't feeling well.' Please. I'll consider excusing him when he acts like an adult and talks to me himself. Grrrrrrr - this generation (as a whole) is so reliant on their parents that I'm not sure whose name should be on the diplomas.

/end rant
/add disclaimer that I realize there are capable college students out there, they're just overlooked because of the ones still connected to their mommy's umbilical cord.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
they're just overlooked because of the ones still connected to their mommy's umbilical cord.
I had a professor once who yelled at a student to stop texting in class. The person said "but its my mom" and the prof said "i don't care, cut the cord" it was great
Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It is possible that the moms are posting is because they are more upset than their DD - what are they going to tell the other moms at the book club? -

Possibly, DD went through recruitment to try it and found that sorority life was not for her. Old South sorority life isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It's also possible that they have no other identity besides being DD's mother