GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 917
2 members and 915 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

What Absolutely NOT to have on Facebook

I have for years beat into my daughter what NOT to post on FB. And actually, I am the "Mom-o-meter" for most of her friends also. I don't think a thing about letting them know to delete items. (comments, jokes, pictures, etc.)

I have found with most of these girls, they just don't have a good radar of what is not appropriate for others to view.

With girls getting ready for the upcoming recruitment season, I thought this would be a good thread. Nothing like being blunt.

I will not start with the obvious (naked pictures).

My first pet peeve:

Girls smoking Hookah... I don't care if they are of legal smoking age. I HATE these pictures.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Is that a SoFlo thing? I have never seen a Hookah pic on FB.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to be obvious, but if you are under the legal age to drink, don't post pictures of it. I would also recommend that if you are over 21 to not have every other picture be you at a party holding a red cup or playing beer pong.

I would recommend not having any pictures of you doing a keg stand or a beer bong. I strongly warn against having any pictures labeled along the lines of "before the black out" or "I don't even remember this."

Actually I would just say to leave the partying pictures out. I have maybe one or two pictures of me with alcohol and I'm older than 21.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
^^^Is that a SoFlo thing? I have never seen a Hookah pic on FB.
I've seen it out West, so not just a SoFlo thing.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hookah bars & Hookah parties are very popular SoFlo - for some reason they don't consider it "smoking".
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the no-no stuff to post around here: smoking hookah or anything else, holding what looks like alcohol, PDAs, generally just doing anything risky or illegal that could reflect back in a bad way on a sorority if you pledged them. Why pledge a girl who could be a risk management nightmare?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

8) Hide all your game posts. Or make them visible to only game playing FB friends. Because Panhellenic doesn't care about your farm.
But Ceres and Sigma Alpha might!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
8) Hide all your game posts. Or make them visible to only game playing FB friends. Because Panhellenic doesn't care about your farm.
LOL!!

I think we've covered the obvious - don't post pictures or descriptions of yourself doing anything illegal, and don't post anything that might lead people to believe you are promiscuous.

Don't post a bunch of religious or political items. I've seen walls where about 90% of the items are Obama-bashing. I've seen more "Jesus is Lord, repost if you agree" posts than I like to think about it - Jesus ain't the lord of me! Basically, think about the four B's (boys, booze, bank, Bible) and about politics - if it falls under any of those categories, think twice before posting it.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Things I Never Want To See On Facebook:

1) Duckface. YOU. DO. NOT. LOOK. SEXY. You look deranged and laughable. I don't want to pledge the girl that ended up on antiduckface.com.

2) Orange spray tan.

3) Sticking your tongue out in pics so we can see your tongue piercing. No, it doesn't make you edgy.

4) "Sexy" pic of you in your bathroom mirror. When you look in Vogue magazine, there is rarely a toilet in the background of all the pictures.

5) Pics of you posing in barely there clothes trying to look like you deserve to be in Maxim. Mostly you post them so everyone will go "oooh, you're so gorgeous!" and you can bask in 3 seconds of attention whoring. The slutty looking attention whore isn't a big want on most recruitment lists.

6) Statuses that say things like "OMG, so trashed last night" or "Ugh, I hate failing classes" or "So-and-so is such a skank whore". My personal hatred also goes out to the sappy "OMG baby I miss youuuuuuuu <3" statuses accompanied by pics of you making out with your summer boyfriend.

7) ANY posts about a particular sorority, even if it's a positive "OMG, I love the XYZs at my school!"

FTW.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My pet peeves (not that the ones above aren't annoying, but I don't need to rehash them):

1. Wen u tlk lyk dissssss 4 2 looooooongggggggggg (or at all. At a certain age, I guess it's understandable, but it's obnoxious if you're old enough to go to college.)

2. Anything with more than 3 exclamation points or question marks that isn't something along the lines of "OMG!!! Congrats on your engagement!" once every now and then.

3. You in your bikini. I don't know why a) every girl wants her bikini photos on facebook and b) it seems like everyone lives close enough to a beach to get a bikini photo, but people rarely ever look really good in them, and it's just annoying to read people's comments (because they always go along the lines of 1 and 2).

4. Chain messages in a status

5. You flipping the camera off. Is that really necessary?

6. I like the grandmother test (to a point). When it comes to photos, would you show that to your grandmother? If your grandmother suddenly learned how to email, is that how you'd write to her?

I know that facebook's "just for fun" or whatever, but the thing is, it's not anymore. Also, please be careful to clean up your timeline. 13-year-old you should not become your main online representation if that's not a solid reflection of you.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
6. I like the grandmother test (to a point). When it comes to photos, would you show that to your grandmother?
What has cleaned up my kids' Facebooks: my mom DID get on Facebook a couple of years ago. She comments on stuff too. It's easier to keep it clean.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, no swearing or vulgar words.

Also, no one wants to see hour-by-hour status posts. No one really cares enough to know when you're at the coffee shop, the library, or frankly, anywhere else you checked in.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate people who constantly post depressing statuses. No one loves me, my life sucks, what a horrible day, etc. No one wants to pledge Debbie Downer.

A personal pet peeve: people who spam invite to applications and events. I really dislike when people use their Facebook friends as a client base.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know- my niece showed up at Easter at her Grandmother's house wearing shorts so short and tight I'm not sure how she didn't injure herself when she sat down. AND she brought her boyfriend that thought it would be okay to stick his tongue down her throat while sitting on the couch. So maybe the "What would Grandma say" test doesn't always work!

But I agree about all the "self-portraits" and crazy status updates.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Also not mentioned yet:

• posts that begin with Hey bitches....what's up?
• photos in which the young lady and her boyfriend are laying in bed, obviously not wearing much
• posts that rants about how awful/mean/terrible your parents are
• posts/photos in which you are obviously cheating (answers, text book pages, etc)

I hadn't seen any of those mentioned yet, and I've seen them on FB in the last 6 months.