GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,310
2 members and 1,308 guests
g41965, naraht

Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

All of these recruitment threads...

To all the ladies writing recruitment stories:

We understand your desire to stay anonymous throughout your recruitment experience. Many of you work very hard at keeping your school, organizations and your personal identity under wraps, which we've been happy to respect (well, most of us respect that).

All that said, I would appreciate it if you all could at least put your school in the thread title. There are so many recruitment threads at any given time, and frankly, many of you are blending together for me. I'm having a hard time keeping track, and I doubt I'm the only one. As long as you don't have a screenname that gives away your personal identity, you should be fine in identifying just the school...other girls used to do it, and anyway, most of us can easily figure out the school anyway based on the number of chapters, the region of the country (if you specify it), and the recruitment schedule.

Thanks for considering this humble request from a recruitment thread reader
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 AM

Most girls don't disclose their school (and haven't done so in awhile), but normally they'd at least put their USERENAME in the title. A million threads titled "My spring rush thread" is confusing.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-31-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I would be hesitant to put my school name in the title. I realize my recruitment experience is very different from most other GCers, but I can see how that could be problematic. Their username in the title is a good idea.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Admittedly, I like to read threads that take place at a school I'm familiar with or where my organization has a chapter. Many of these threads haven't interested me because I just can't get into them...I don't know if the person writing even has a possibility of becoming my sister, and for all I know they may be attending a school in the south I've never even heard of. I'm not trying to be rude, just being honest, and I suspect many women here probably feel the same way, whether they admit it or not.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm rushing this semester, I didn't choose to put my schools name ANYWHERE in my thread--and one person has already figured it out, though i only said I was on the EAST COAST! I'm at a school with a LARGE greek system and I know for a fact there are many alum of this school on GC, and though i haven't said bad things necessarily, it still wouldn't benefit me, because everyone would figure out the code names in literally a second. So while I understand what you're saying, it just doesn't look good on a PNMs part if a chapter is reading what you're saying about them, especially if theres only two or three chapters participating in rush.

I do agree that it is VERY easy to get rush stories mixed up, though.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

So why don't you all just write your stories after recruitment is over if you're that worried? You all know that the only women you would even need to be concerned with ALL figure out your school immediately anyway, so what's the point in coding it?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Yeah, I have to say for the PNMs sake, this would be a bad idea. The super sleuthy types don't seem to have much trouble figuring out the schools eventually anyway, but the PNMs can still have some level of complete anonymity with people like me that don't know how many chapters are on which campus and are too lazy to try to find out. Volunteering the school makes it too easy for everyone to be right in on their business.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, since everyone's so worried about the PNMs, why don't you all just tell them not to write their threads during recruitment? That's really in the best interest of the rushees.

ETA: prior to this spring recruitment, and maybe fall '07, many PNMs put the school name in their thread. I can think of some from Indiana, Georgia and Alabama. If it's a tiny school, I guess I can understand the paranoia. But if there are hundreds of girls rushing, and you don't do things like describe your clothes for each day, I don't know how you think girls would figure out who you are.

ETA again: OK, if you go back one page in this forum, you will see recruitment threads with the following schools in the titles: UF, Miami, Delaware, Auburn, UT and UW. So the vagueness seems to be a very recent trend.

Last edited by PeppyGPhiB; 01-31-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
You all know that the only women you would even need to be concerned with ALL figure out your school immediately anyway, so what's the point in coding it?
Quote:
Well, since everyone's so worried about the PNMs, why don't you all just tell them not to write their threads during recruitment? That's really in the best interest of the rushees.
You're already making a pretty good case for it...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Admittedly, I like to read threads that take place at a school I'm familiar with or where my organization has a chapter. Many of these threads haven't interested me because I just can't get into them...I don't know if the person writing even has a possibility of becoming my sister, and for all I know they may be attending a school in the south I've never even heard of. I'm not trying to be rude, just being honest, and I suspect many women here probably feel the same way, whether they admit it or not.
You and SWTXBelle and nittanyalum are newer to GC. You'll be surprised to know that there was a time on GC where girls named their schools and even didn't use code names in their rush threads. They even described their outfits in detail at times, so sometimes GC members who were actives at that particular school actually knew who the PNMs were during rush!

What happened was that there were several situations in which things PNMs said in their rush threads actually affected their recruitment negatively in real life. Then there were sometimes threats from GC actives in PNMs threads if something they said about their particular sorority offended them or was rude. So, long story short-- not very many PNMs name their schools or the sororities til after recruitment.

Honestly I think it's for the best that they don't/

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-31-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
You'll be surprised to know that there was a time on GC where girls named their schools and even didn't use code names in their rush threads. They even described their outfits in detail, so sometimes GC members who were actives at that particular school actually knew who the PNMs were during rush!

That must have turned into trainwreck after trainwreck after trainwreck...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You and SWTXBelle and nittanyalum are newer to GC. You'll be surprised to know that there was a time on GC where girls named their schools and even didn't use code names in their rush threads. They even described their outfits in detail, so sometimes GC members who were actives at that particular school actually knew who the PNMs were during rush!

What happened was that there were several situations in which things PNMs said in their rush threads actually affected their recruitment negatively in real life. Then there were sometimes threats from GC actives in PNMs threads if something they said about their particular sorority offended them or was rude. So, long story short-- not very many PNMs name their schools or the sororities til after recruitment.

Honestly I think it's for the best that they don't/
I actually used to come on GC years ago, but then left and forgot my screenname when I came back so I started a new one. So I remember when GC was REALLY crazy and crass. I also remember when women would describe every bit of their outfits and not hold back on their descriptions of chapters. I'm not suggesting we go back to that.

I'm not saying women should toss all discretion out the window. I was merely suggesting they tell us the school they're at, not describe their appearance/clothing/organizations by name. For those of you very familiar with chapters at PNMs schools, I suspect either you already know the impressions of each organization anyway, or you might appreciate hearing some honest feedback.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion in order to make the recruitment stories more readable and entertaining.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post

That must have turned into trainwreck after trainwreck after trainwreck...
It honestly wasn't THAT bad at all, until the other things I talked about started happening.

A particular incident I recall was a girl who had made some comments about a sorority early on in recruitment, but ended up preffing and then pledging them. During her NM period, one of her sisters found the thread and wasn't very happy about it. From what I hear she told everyone about it and this girl's NM period wasn't a fun one.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-31-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:55 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
It honestly wasn't THAT bad at all, until the other things I talked about started happening.

A particular incident I recall was a girl who had made some comments about a sorority early on in recruitment, but ended up preffing and then pledging them. During her NM period, one of her sisters found the thread and wasn't very happy about it. From what I hear she told everyone about it and this girl's NM period wasn't a fun one.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, she ended up depledging because those girls made her NM period very horrible.

I've always been a strong advocate for PNMs posting their experiences AFTER they're done with recruitment. I'll even admit that I cringe when I see a live rush thread going on. Sure, it's their time in the spotlight, but you really never know who's reading. And even if you try to be discreet as possible, there might be someone who'll figure out what school you're at and who you are. You won't be able to please everybody.

Rush threads are great, but it's certainly not worth risking your chances for a successful rush.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

This is why it's a bad idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
I did one Google search and found your school IMMEDIATELY. from what you said about your new position, it was easy to pinpoint you down to one of FIVE women. Looking any more, it would probably be relatively easy to find out who you are.
For some reason it's now become acceptible to not only harass PNMs but stalk them too. Personally, I think this behavior should be a violation of the TOS, but that's not likely to happen. People here have too much fun doing it.

Besides, the point of these threads isn't (or at least wasn't) to entertain us. The original intent was to help PNMs going through the Recruitment process. Finding it entertaining was just a bonus.