GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 991
0 members and 991 guests
No Members online

Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Georgia Recruitment

Hey yall! I tried the Search that everyone and their cousin has recommended to PNM's on here, but I was wondering if any UGA alumnae had some Georgia-specific advice? From what I understand, Recruitment at UGA is hugely competitive, so any pointers would be so much appreciated! I don't know anyone at all who's ever been a part of a greek organization, so I need all the help and advice I can get!

Just to paint a picture, I'm an incoming Freshman with a 4.0 high school GPA. I was a part of a bunch of national honor societies and whatnot, but I was most involved in theatre. For the record, I am a bigger girl, but I'm not incredibly worried about that, not because I think they won't judge (I'm sure they will lol, doesn't everyone, at least a little?), but because I'm pretty confident and looking to make friends with people who aren't terribly superficial anyways. Although I definitely understand and appreciate the importance of image and being exceptionally put-together

So does anyone have any advice?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbylovesuga View Post
Hey yall! I tried the Search that everyone and their cousin has recommended to PNM's on here, but I was wondering if any UGA alumnae had some Georgia-specific advice? From what I understand, Recruitment at UGA is hugely competitive, so any pointers would be so much appreciated! I don't know anyone at all who's ever been a part of a greek organization, so I need all the help and advice I can get!

Just to paint a picture, I'm an incoming Freshman with a 4.0 high school GPA. I was a part of a bunch of national honor societies and whatnot, but I was most involved in theatre. For the record, I am a bigger girl, but I'm not incredibly worried about that, not because I think they won't judge (I'm sure they will lol, doesn't everyone, at least a little?), but because I'm pretty confident and looking to make friends with people who aren't terribly superficial anyways. Although I definitely understand and appreciate the importance of image and being exceptionally put-together

So does anyone have any advice?
Not a UGAer, but here are some helpful UGA threads you should check out (to give you a picture of what it's like

Our big UGA thread from last fall:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115308

Others:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=114939

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=98818

One piece of advice: get recs for every sorority on campus!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The links that Violet gave you should help. Just remember to get all of your recs (do it NOW) and do not mess around when it comes to getting your wardrobe together. To say it is competitive is almost an understatement. You might want to check out youtube for videos from last year to see what kinds of things they were wearing. I was the first in my family to go greek and I remember how stressful it was (even more than 25 yrs ago!) Read and re-read all of the threads - the wonderful women on GC will be able to help fill in any blanks after that. Good luck to you- I hope you have a good experience and a great outcome.
One more thing...please remember that every single sorority on UGA's campus is fabulous. Try not to get caught up in any "tent talk" or listen to anyone's preconceived notions about which sorority (s) is the best. In my opinion they are all "the best"!!!

Last edited by axoalum; 06-14-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: one more thing
Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Now would also be a good time to make sure your Social Media presence is appropriate. Check your Facebook, T_witter, blog, etc. etc. If there's anything on there that's remotely "questionable" you may want to think twice about leaving it up there.

I encourage PNMs to use Social Media to their advantage, but sometimes it's just easier to change all settings to Private.

Best of luck to you. UGA is a wonderful school with great sororities.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank yall so much! I'm in the process of getting recs, but since I don't know anyone who has gone greek, it's turning out to be tough! Do yall have any advice on how to go about finding people who can write them?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbylovesuga View Post
Thank yall so much! I'm in the process of getting recs, but since I don't know anyone who has gone greek, it's turning out to be tough! Do yall have any advice on how to go about finding people who can write them?
There are LOTS of threads on here about recs and how to get in touch with Panhellenic Associations. Please use the search function or look through the sorority recruitment forum.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It's always best to get letters of recommendations from alumnae members who actually know you, so I would try my best to ask, ask, and ASK some more for personal letters. Church, work, moms of kids you babysit for, teachers at your high school, chatting with women from your hometown who have gone through rush before. Just ask as many folks as possible.

If you live in a town with an Alumnae Panhellenic (http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx) be sure and search for them online and see if they have a masterfile that you can submit your information. Many times these groups will also list women in their online materials who are willing to write recommendations.

Another idea is to look at the National Organization websites of the sororities at Georgia. Most of the NPC groups (22/26) publicly put information about local alumnae chapters on their site. Many of these have contact information on them, and it is not unheard of for local PNMs to ask ACs for information about a local women getting a recommendation.

If all else fails, you can attempt to contact the National Organizations for help in securing a recommendation (again, I would do this as a last resort). As an AC president, I was asked several times to help with recommendations for ladies in various locations around my state. I assume that other NPC women have had similar experiences.

Good luck with recruitment and securing those recommendations!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavycutchip View Post
It's always best to get letters of recommendations from alumnae members who actually know you, so I would try my best to ask, ask, and ASK some more for personal letters. Church, work, moms of kids you babysit for, teachers at your high school, chatting with women from your hometown who have gone through rush before. Just ask as many folks as possible.

If you live in a town with an Alumnae Panhellenic (http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx) be sure and search for them online and see if they have a masterfile that you can submit your information. Many times these groups will also list women in their online materials who are willing to write recommendations.

Another idea is to look at the National Organization websites of the sororities at Georgia. Most of the NPC groups (22/26) publicly put information about local alumnae chapters on their site. Many of these have contact information on them, and it is not unheard of for local PNMs to ask ACs for information about a local women getting a recommendation.

If all else fails, you can attempt to contact the National Organizations for help in securing a recommendation (again, I would do this as a last resort). As an AC president, I was asked several times to help with recommendations for ladies in various locations around my state. I assume that other NPC women have had similar experiences.

Good luck with recruitment and securing those recommendations!
You must be new around here- you're not tired of the same questions being asked all the time!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Check your messages, Shelby. I sent you a pm.

Last edited by axoalum; 06-16-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: lost part of message
Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

shelby, look at those videos and tailor your outfits to them. you are going for a polished, put together look. hair clean and groomed, natural makeup that enhances your features.

read the threads here on greekchat-the uga and the general threads, too. as others have suggested, give each and every chapter a chance.

for recs., ask neighbors, relatives(aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, even if they don't live in your town), friends of your parents, parents of your friends, siblings of your friends, teachers(even way back in kindergarten), ladies you know from church or work, if you have had a job, and any girls that you may know that joined sororities anywhere, that have a chapter at UGA. ask all those people if they would mind networking with their friends and relatives and that they will take it from there.

just to make sure you know, a recommendation can come from any alumna(and sometimes a current collegiate member) of a particular sorority. for instance, pretend there is a sorority called ABC at UGA. any member of ABC that you find, no matter where she attended college, will be able to write you a recommendation.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-17-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
You must be new around here- you're not tired of the same questions being asked all the time!
I figured that it was early in recruitment prep season - and had a little time to write it out. Maybe the next girl who is going through GA recruitment will see it when searched. And, I'm a sucker for just answering questions
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Best UGA advice I can give you:
As long as you don't go in with a list of chapters that are acceptable/unacceptable for you, you'll probably be okay. But if you go in with a list in either direction, you're bound to be disappointed. Every girl I know who has gone in with an open mind has been happy with the outcome. Most girls who ruled out certain chapters or set their hearts on others have been unhappy.

There are a lot of UGA recruitment stories on this site (I've written quite a few of them) and I recommend that you read some UGA story threads as they will give you more of an idea of what to expect.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
Best UGA advice I can give you:
As long as you don't go in with a list of chapters that are acceptable/unacceptable for you, you'll probably be okay. But if you go in with a list in either direction, you're bound to be disappointed. Every girl I know who has gone in with an open mind has been happy with the outcome. Most girls who ruled out certain chapters or set their hearts on others have been unhappy.

There are a lot of UGA recruitment stories on this site (I've written quite a few of them) and I recommend that you read some UGA story threads as they will give you more of an idea of what to expect.
I was about to post something similar. UGA, I think, has great overall placement rates, but they aren't always based on girls getting placed in their favorite chapter at the end of round one.

A girl who tries to like all the chapters and sees the process through can find a chapter that will enrich her experience at UGA, and I'd say the vast majority who complete recruitment really love their chapters, often within minutes of opening the bid card but sometimes after having inwardly mourned getting dropped by a couple of chapters that they thought they loved.

Shelbylovesuga, once recruitment starts, a lot of it may feel out of your control even though it's a theoretically mutual selection process. That's why you want to line up recs, think about what to wear, and plan for the experience before it gets started. Recruitment can be a lot of fun if you try to focus on the positive things that happen and don't worry about outcomes that you can't control, (which is practically impossible to do but the key to having an enjoyable experience in recruitment.) Good luck to you!

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.