GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,581
1 members and 2,580 guests
Mooch279

Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Banned

We see you Soror, Attorney General nominee Loretta Lynch.

A guest on the Diane Rehm show gave Delta a shoutout and said something to the effect of "...support of her Sisters...they came wearing red."

And so did TIME http://time.com/3685812/loretta-lync...heta-sorority/

I really like Tom Petty. He is wonderful. "Free Falling" is one of my favorite songs. But I guess I have to be a songwriter to see the similarities between Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" and Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down".

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...e-right-thing/

Last edited by DrPhil; 01-29-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
We see you Soror, Attorney General nominee Loretta Lynch.

A guest on the Diane Rehm show gave Delta a shoutout and said something to the effect of "...support of her Sisters...they came wearing red."

And so did TIME http://time.com/3685812/loretta-lync...heta-sorority/

I really like Tom Petty. He is wonderful. "Free Falling" is one of my favorite songs. But I guess I have to be a songwriter to see the similarities between Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" and Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down".

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...e-right-thing/
I was listening to the radio and they did a side-by-side comparison of the songs by slowing down the Sam Smith song and putting it at the same speed of the Tom Petty song and it is crazy how the Sam Smith song is the exact same song in terms of beats and even words. It was like listening to the same song with different lyrics that started and stopped at the same time. It kind of reminds me of the Vanilla Ice song that David Bowie had issues with. Sam Smith knew he was wrong because he and his people are actually giving Tom Petty credit for writing.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Banned

Yes, Sam Smith and his crew are giving them songwriting credit and (if memory serves me correctly) any money and awards will be split 5 ways.

I guess I need to hear "Won't Back Down" slowed down because I don't hear a connection.

The Vanilla Ice and David Bowie thing was much more obvious. Practically anyone could hear that without needing the songs slowed down or sped up. I remember the interview Vanilla Ice did back then when he said the beats are different "that other song goes dundundundddddd...dundundunddddd and mine goes dundundundddddd...chhhh...dundundunddddd...that's not the same thing." Everyone was like

Just like I consider it obvious that Robin Thicke's song was a knockoff of Marvin Gaye's song. Oh well.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, Sam Smith and his crew are giving them songwriting credit and (if memory serves me correctly) any money and awards will be split 5 ways.

I guess I need to hear "Won't Back Down" slowed down because I don't hear a connection.

The Vanilla Ice and David Bowie thing was much more obvious. Practically anyone could hear that without needing the songs slowed down or sped up. I remember the interview Vanilla Ice did back then when he said the beats are different "that other song goes dundundundddddd...dundundunddddd and mine goes dundundundddddd...chhhh...dundundunddddd...that's not the same thing." Everyone was like

Just like I consider it obvious that Robin Thicke's song was a knockoff of Marvin Gaye's song. Oh well.
Until I heard the Tom Petty song slowed down, I didn't get it. Once I heard it, I was like this:
Old 01-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

I demand you or als463 post the slowed down version NOW!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

That moment when a sorority member misspells her line sister's name...

Glad she's not a Delta because that was one awkward Facebook post.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkcZV97O3pw

Just for you, DrPhil
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Until I heard the Tom Petty song slowed down, I didn't get it. Once I heard it, I was like this:
I went to visit some friends out of the country over Christmas, and this song was suuuuper over played on their pop radio stations. What did I have stuck in my head when I was there for some reason? "Won't back down." I guess my subconscious could hear it well before I realized it was a real thing.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenHeart View Post
I went to visit some friends out of the country over Christmas, and this song was suuuuper over played on their pop radio stations. What did I have stuck in my head when I was there for some reason? "Won't back down." I guess my subconscious could hear it well before I realized it was a real thing.
Now that you say this, I have had "Won't Back Down" in my head at strange times. I wonder if I had just heard the other song.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nahhhh, I think it is a stretch. The ability to sing one song to another song's beat or tune is not uncommon. I do it all the time when songs remind me of one another.

It reminds me of the TJMS's Steve Silk Hurley "Old School New School Remix"
Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Lord, this update is a big one. It's taking forever.

OAN -- I think I'll BBQ tomorrow.
Romans 1:16
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I don't want to go to work today. I don't want to go to work today. I don't want to go to work today.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now that you say this, I have had "Won't Back Down" in my head at strange times. I wonder if I had just heard the other song.
Quote:
Nahhhh, I think it is a stretch. The ability to sing one song to another song's beat or tune is not uncommon. I do it all the time when songs remind me of one another.

It reminds me of the TJMS's Steve Silk Hurley "Old School New School Remix"
In Western civ haromonic music, many songs (80/90%) use the same or similar chord structure patterns. ....he's talented at it, but that's likely how Steve Silk Hurley is pulling it off.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
In Western civ haromonic music, many songs (80/90%) use the same or similar chord structure patterns. ....he's talented at it, but that's likely how Steve Silk Hurley is pulling it off.
Yep, that's exactly how he's doing it. He's very good but he's doing what anyone can do when listening to music.

There have been a couple of times he mixed an "old school new school" that I never would've considered. I was like...okay...I see you.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I died when Vanilla Ice tried so hard to pretend he didn't rip it off and explain how his song sounds in comparison to the David Bowie one. That was probably one of the funniest things I ever watched. What Robin Thicke song is a knockoff of Marvin Gaye? I don't remember hearing about that. Where have I been?