GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
2 members and 1,392 guests
chironthearcher

Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Stardust,

I'm so sorry that the trustees were so closeminded, especially after you had overcome so many obstacles just to get to them. You and your two partners should train your successors well, and continue to be available to them after you graduate. If they ever are successful in bringing Greek life to your campus, that incredible gift will be a direct result of all of your efforts.

As for your own possibilities of membership as a graduate student... I think you've recognized that it's a longshot. But if you don't try, you'll never know what might happen.

One thing I will caution you about, though. Don't let the possibility of sorority membership influence your decision about your graduate program. Your priority should always be to get the best education possible to reach your career and personal goals. (Just echoing a similar sentiment you expessed about your selection of your undergrad program.)

Best of luck and please check back in occasionally and let us know how you're doing!

Ginger
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Ginger,

Thank you so much for all your advice (and sorry for taking so long to come back and see it - my honors thesis is KILLING ME). I just wanted to update you and anyone else reading - I actually have decided to stay at my undergraduate institution for a graduate school program! So I will definitely not be going through recruitment. Even as on the fence about it as I was, it's bittersweet to realize that even that last chance is gone. But I *love* the graduate program at my undergrad institution, it only takes a single year to get my master's, and it will be a great step towards a job after my next graduation. I'm very happy in that respect. Actually, two of us will be staying for this program, and I think that that's a good thing for greek life, too - we will be able to assist the girls to whom we're passing on the helm. It's not over, that's for sure!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there Stardust,

I have read your story and I want to say that I have never seen such persistence. I am really sorry that the University is not approving. One thing that stuck out to me is that you never stopped trying, and kept a positive attitude.

I am starting a local myself, however since there are 7 NPC Sororities, all 4 NPHC sororities, and 6 in the Multicultural Council (plus one colony on the way), I decided to make mine community based and not through the University rather than collegiate based.

You seem quite passionate to create a sorority, have you considered making one for the community instead? That way, people who were at the University could still join AND you could reach out to nearby college students who cannot achieve having Greek life on their campus?

Doing events and booking tables would probably be hard, especially since it mostly belongs to collegiate orgs, but you seem to want a sisterhood and I think it could be a good option for you, especially since you are about to graduate.

Congrats on your undergrad program btw