GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,082
1 members and 1,081 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering all that COULD have gone wrong, our wedding went pretty smooth! And really, once your day begins, there is not much you can do, so just roll with the punches...

• It was raining lightly when I woke up and went with my mom to get our hair done - but I think that's good luck!

• The florist delivered our bouquets and boutonnières to the house, but managed to forget my throw-away. No problem, I used one of my girls' at the reception instead.

• When our photographer was placing us on our front lawn for pictures, I was sandwiched in between my mom and dad, my mom put her hand around my shoulders and found something sticky! Apparently, I had been pooped on from above! But I think that's good luck, too!

• One of the towncars we ordered from the limo company failed to show up to pick up the groom's mother and my parents for their ride to the church. No problem - DH and his groomsmen made room for his mother in their limo and my girls and I all squished in with my parents. It actually made for a fun trip to the altar!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll post my first wedding now. I was pretty much a Bridezilla that day and things didn't go as I wanted. I was much more relaxed about everything the second time around. First wedding: After dinner, we had gone around to all the tables to greet people and the photographer was bugging us to get portraits taken. I was mad because we'd had 4 hours in between the ceremony and reception to do portraits and I wanted to be enjoying my reception. Someone commented to me that my veil was askew so I went in the bathroom to try to fix it. Well, part of it had come unsewed from the headpiece so I was frantic. My aunt happened to have a sewing kit in her purse (thank goodness for her!) so I sewed the veil back together in the bathroom. While I was sewing, someone came in and said that the photographer wanted me for portraits and the cake guy wanted us to come out and cut the cake and I was feeling pulled in too many directions at once and started snapping at people. The only two dances I got to dance that entire night was the bridal dance and the dance with my dad and I had really wanted to be out there dancing, not taking care of all that bs stuff!!! I had a horrible time
Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sorority sisters was married in downtown Pittsburgh. During the ceremony, 6 cars of the guests were stolen. The tone of the reception was a bit subdued. Maybe that was a foreshadow that the wedding barely lasted a year.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Great thread.

Nothing major went wrong with my wedding, but there were a few minor things.

- DH and I had arranged for a room at the reception hotel for the night before the wedding. (The honeymoon suite on the wedding night was part of the package.) First they sent us to a room that had one twin bed instead of the king bed they'd promised. When we asked for a different room, they gave us a room that had a king bed... and was occupied. Finally they found a room for us - two twin beds, but hey, it was only one night and we did have the king bed for the wedding night.

- I forgot my shoes!! I said I'd walk down the aisle in stocking feet, but DH insisted on driving back to our apartment to get my white shoes.

- The band forgot that my MOH was going to give a toast. So, my mom and in-laws do a toast, the best man does his toast, and the band starts playing! Well, you don't mess with my MOH - she made it quite clear that she had a toast to give too.

- It rained, so our photos had to be done indoors.

- DH is a klutz, so I joked before the wedding that I was going to arrange with the rabbi to have white wine, not red. DH said, no, the wine has to be red. So, at the ceremony, the rabbi handed me the glass of wine (the glass is metal and therefore opaque), and surprise - the wine was white. I took a sip and handed the glass to DH. DH did a double take. Later, our best man told us that he thought DH had gotten last-minute cold feet and was about to run away!

But nothing really bad happened
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My mother in law decided at the last minute not to come, sending word an hour before the ceremony that she had nothing to wear and would not be in attendance. Then, after being coerced by my brother in law, she showed up at the last minute and left right after the wedding, so that my husband danced the mother/son song with his sister.

While it is unbecoming and I am embarrassed about my feelings, I can admit that 7 years later it still pisses me off.

The only other bad thing was after the wedding. I have no idea how, and it sounds like I made up the story; but I couldn't sleep a couple of nights after the wedding and was watching the wedding video late at night. I fell asleep on the couch, somehow rolled over onto the remote and pressed the exact combination of buttons that would make the tape start recording over. It erased the whole tape - which was of course the only copy. (Hubby's friend who worked at the local news station made it and didn't make a back up copy.) And of course my relative who was supposed to film using my camera as backup failed to record the ceremony.

Overall it was an incredible experience and I really have no regrets, nor would I do it much differently today.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

So this didnt happen to me as im not married but it happened to my big sister. . .

Her husbands brother was the best man and his toast was horrible not only did it go on for 15 minutes guest started sitting down and his father had to come up and tell him to stop talking but his toast included such gems as saying that when he first met my sister he figured she would just be a one night stand or short term relationship and that she came along at the worst time in his brothers life. . . To this day no one has really talked about it front of my sister but the rest of the family jokes about it from time to time. . .
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Two weeks before my wedding, we found out the restaurant that we had reserved for the rehearsal dinner was closed because it was BANKRUPT and OUT OF BUSINESS!!! I was having a destination wedding and everything was being planned long-distance. My mother and wedding planner scrambled, but managed to find a very nice restaurant on short notice that hosted the rehearsal dinner.

The night before the wedding, my mother was steaming and ironing my veil. Unfortunately, she burned a hole in the veil. She was able to hide it
Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
My sisters wedding:

~ Photographers showed up late so that there was no time to do family pics
~ My sisters best friend #2 brought her baby (it was said that no babies were allowed because of the open bar)
~ Issues with the car service
~ Her best friends car was broken into the day of the wedding and stole a bunch of stuff and we had the cops at our door dealing with that
~ Her hair came out and had to be re-done

My only other issue was I didn't like the Rabbi at all.

All in all not horrible I guess

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my sorority sisters had a tough reception, but they handled it perfectly! There was a huge storm between her ceremony and reception and the reception hall lost power! So, there was no power at all and it was a really warm summer day. The storm had passed and it was perfectly clear outside so they worked with the reception hall and moved it into the parking lot of the hall! They brought out huge barbecues and cooked on those. Someone brought their RV to the parking lot and they used the generator on it to hook up the DJs equipment and danced in the parking lot. She was a really good sport and just said "Nobody is going to forget MY wedding, are they???"

After my first one, when I got so upset over minor stuff and ruined my own party, really, I always tell brides that the only thing that matters that day is that they end up married by the end of the day.

My friends' sister had a really rough one, but they also made the most of it. Her father had brain cancer but was able to come to the ceremony. However, he passed out during the ceremony and had to be hospitalized. After things calmed down and he was conscious again, the priest married them in his hospital room, just like in a movie. It was more important to her that her dad be present for her wedding than anything else, so she got her wish.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It was more important to her that her dad be present for her wedding than anything else, so she got her wish.
That is a very sweet story
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Last summer, I went to a friend's wedding. There was a thunderstorm parked pretty much on top of the hall. So it was POURING, and anyone unlucky enough to have forgotten an umbrella got soaked to the skin walking from their cars to the entrance. The ceremony was to be held outside - obviously, we relocated inside.

At the ceremony, the rabbi started talking about how this wedding was taking place in the presence of the couple's families, their friends, and God - well, as soon as he said "God" there was an enormous thunderclap! We all burst out laughing at the timing, and the rabbi said something like, "Yup, He's making His presence felt, all right."

A few minutes later, a very noisy A/C unit kicked on, and the staff couldn't figure out how to disable it, so it was very hard to hear the rest of the ceremony.

Meh, they're just as married.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Camcorder ran out of batteries RIGHT as we were about to begin our vows. That's kind of okay though, for me. I prefer those memories through my own eyes (looking at Mr. Skylark) rather than through a camera where I will be criticizing how my arm-fat and ass looked, thus destroying the moment in my mind. Actually, I didn't really want a camcorder there at all but it was a request from my MIL that I really felt bad refusing to.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_gphib View Post
Where to start? First I was planning a Missouri wedding from Florida,
Hey Summer! I noticed your sig and you probably have been to where my husband and I were married. We got married on the steps of the county courthouse in Cape overlooking the Mississippi. It was really beautiful
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
My veil (which was just attached via a comb) fell off as my husband and I were walking down the aisle together. Whatever. I didn't even notice. It didn't even hit the floor I'm told, my mom had awesome reflexes and grabbed it. Way to go mommmy!!

Not really wrong but the light from the videographer's camera was really bright and in our faces during the ceremony. I wished we had talked with them more before the ceremony, it was SO annoying.

I have to say, it was a pretty good day since I don't remember much of anything that went wrong!

OMG I forgot - a cell phone went off! The minister rolled with it, made a joke about God approving and we all had a good laugh. I later found out it was my assistant principal's phone. He's attached to that thing! I've made it clear he owes me from here on out!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
One of my sorority sisters had a tough reception, but they handled it perfectly! There was a huge storm between her ceremony and reception and the reception hall lost power!
when we were on a tour for our venue, our coordinator told us that they have a back up generator so we won't have to worry about losing power. she said she had never thought of asking that until her son was getting married. i wonder if they attended a wedding that lost power.