GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,793
0 members and 1,793 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2001, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOVE1920 Send a message via Yahoo to DOVE1920
Question GPA requirement

What do you all think about raising the GPA requirement. I personally think it should be a 3.0
Old 07-02-2001, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shannieglass
Well..I'm not a member of your most honorable sorority, and even though I don't think intelligence should be ranked by any type of number system..raising the gpa requirement would be an excellent idea..Scholarship is one of the founding principles of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., so why not shoot for better than medium..go for the stars..heck..if I am blessed to be chosen to enter the search for the light of Zeta, I don't want any halfsteppers taking the journey with me...well, that is it from me..toodles!!

hoping for blue,
shanna
Old 07-03-2001, 10:34 AM

Lightbulb

if you'd asked that question a year ago...i would have said...definitely 3.0 minimum...but i have found that those with 3.0's and above aren't always more intelligent than those that have below a 3.0...ya'll remember that einstein flunked math right? sometimes it's the opposite way around for a variety of reasons...i don't believe that grades are a true indicator of ones dedication, intelligence, or likelihood of success in a sorority...or in life period...but there obviously has to be some bottom line requirement so i say 2.75 across the board...you have to take into account that scholarship...often wrongly defined and wrongly determined to be evidenced by grades...is not what is going to make all women successful...and as an entertainer that highly values education and even plans on attending graduate school...its not always about the grades...and having attained true knowledge...valuable knowledge cannot be assessed by a scale that encourages pure memorization to move onward and upward as opposed to true learning...

on the otherhand i don't think girls should be sliding in on a 2.75 either...just because they have it...with no evidence of intelligence beyond achieving the minimum requirement...but if i were on an intake committee i would rather see two 2.75's of intelligence make it than 30 3.0's who are only book smart and don't know how to think for themselves...

[This message has been edited by CelestialBlu1 (edited July 03, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GiggyZ
Sorors, I encourage you to join a listserve called Finer Woman to share your feelings with sorors.

[This message has been edited by GiggyZ (edited July 03, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Personally, I think the GPA requirement should be 3.0 or BETTER (for Sorors and Frat)!!!!! Honestly, most organizations have SCHOLARSHIP as a principle. So, with that as a principle we should at least be shooting for a GPA that will at least get you a Deans List Honorable Mention. That's what I think, but what I know is a little different.

I know that MOST people will never have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for a variety of reasons. Some majors are admittedly very intense (this is particularly true for the physical sciences and engineering disciplines). Given that this is a fact of life, our (the Blu and White) GPA requirement should at least be 2.75.

If this is not obtainable, then those women and/or men should concentrate on their studies and worry about becoming members after they have brought their grades up.

That's my take on it.

[This message has been edited by Six_Three_Sigma (edited July 03, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this may seem crazy..but is the national minimum requirement for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority still 2.5? I only ask because on my campus, in order to even think about becoming a member of any organization you must have a 2.7 (just to let you know though all the members of the spring 2001 line of Beta chapter had a 3.0 or higher..wonder why I like being around those girls.*smile*)
Old 07-04-2001, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shannieglass:
I know this may seem crazy..but is the national minimum requirement for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority still 2.5?
Now Shannieglass, you KNOW we are NOT going to answer this question, primarily because it's not relevant until you're extended an invitation. If and when you are invited to attend the Zeta Invitational, all necessary minimum requirements for membership will be outlined at that point. I will say, however, that individual chapters or the college have the option of requiring a higher standard than the minimum requirements. Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2001, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Rats!! :-)

Can't blame a girl for trying

toodles!!
Old 07-05-2001, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not member of your sorority. But, when i'm ready to take that step into FINER WOMANHOOD my grades WILL BE tight. Why settle for the minimum when I can be the best!!
Old 07-05-2001, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

raising the gpa requirement would be a good idea. i am not suggesting this because i have already pledged but i am suggesting it or supporting it because it shows that you can maintain both your social wants and your academic demands! so to all greek organizations that crossed over without struggling to achieve the min. gpa congratulations, and to those that are tring to pledge please remember it is all about balancing responsibility not another obstacle to keep you out of greeklife.

Old 08-01-2001, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920:
What do you all think about raising the GPA requirement. I personally think it should be a 3.0
I totally agree. I think the GPA requirement is too low. My lines average when we were on line was a 3.7...the highest in Zeta that year!!!

[This message has been edited by Shelacious (edited August 01, 2001).]
Old 08-01-2001, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to wannabez
While I am not a member of Zeta Phi Beta, I have a intresting outlook on the gpa requirement. I am interested in becoming a member of Zeta Phi Beta and I currently hold a 3.1 gpa and I have friends who have pledged different things and they end up with lower gpa than when they started pledging, so what is the point of raising the gpa when and if I make line and cross over my gpa will be low?
Old 08-05-2001, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabez:
While I am not a member of Zeta Phi Beta, I have a intresting outlook on the gpa requirement. I am interested in becoming a member of Zeta Phi Beta and I currently hold a 3.1 gpa and I have friends who have pledged different things and they end up with lower gpa than when they started pledging, so what is the point of raising the gpa when and if I make line and cross over my gpa will be low?
You have been misinformed...Your grades should not fall...at all. I dont know what your friends are doing, but we only take the best candidates so if you are interested in seeking the light of Zeta, I PERSONALLY CHALLENGE YOU not to think negatively.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:48 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

i don't think she's totally misinformed...it should not happen...but it has happened to some people...an associate of mine maintained a 4.0 while going through intake so on the other hand...there may be an arguement that there is no exuse for it to happen...but it has and does happen to some people...perhaps not members of zeta phi beta...but i am speaking generally...

[This message has been edited by celestial_blues (edited August 06, 2001).]