GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,593
2 members and 1,591 guests
aaexeyttsa3383

Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't that one of the sorority chapters on Trading Spaces years ago? I think they had their TV room redone in a Hollywood glitz style.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 PM

dvs-dz, that is correct.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
University of Iowa
ΑΞΔ 61 (per Instagram)

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 09-05-2016, 10:28 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
University of Iowa
ΑΞΔ 61 (per Instagram)
Wrong list.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The UC Berkeley AOII situation is really sad and never needed to come to this. Unflexible leadership is what this boils down to. I hope we will see some change in the organization as a result of this travesty.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calroses View Post
The UC Berkeley AOII situation is really sad and never needed to come to this. Unflexible leadership is what this boils down to. I hope we will see some change in the organization as a result of this travesty.
Yes, I agree it is sad, and having had my own chapter close, it hurts the current collegiate members the most.
I would say that there was unflexible leadership on both sides of the table. I have had my own fair share of dealings with the Properties Board in the past year, so I am not at all sympathetic to them, but the idea that Sigma's corporation was somehow the special snowflake that didn't have to abide by fraternity policy is beyond belief. In all reality, how could anyone not see this coming? Again, the current members of the chapter have my greatest sympathy and I hope that they can continue with the semester with their heads up.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
It appears that our Sigma chapter at California-Berkley has been closed due to an ongoing dispute between our International Properties Board and the local building corporation.
That's very sad to hear. That was a solid chapter on campus when I was volunteering at Cal in recent years..
Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
It appears that our Sigma chapter at California-Berkley has been closed due to an ongoing dispute between our International Properties Board and the local building corporation.

Oh no! The chapter house had been de-recognized last year, yes? So, I [rhetorically] wonder what was going on in this past year that IHQ finally said, "Ok then, no chapter for you!". What a shame - it's almost as if the members were held hostage.....and now look where it got everyone. No chapter at all.

True and Constant
Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

It's none of my business, but I'd really like to know why the house corp. was soooooo stubborn and dug in their heels to such an extreme. Really sad.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I just love hearing about the new extension opportunities. Thank you to everyone who keeps this up to date.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
It's none of my business, but I'd really like to know why the house corp. was soooooo stubborn and dug in their heels to such an extreme. Really sad.
They also did in Minnesota but it was finally resolved. I thought at Berkley they just weren't going to let the chapter live in the house any longer. Am surprised they closed the chapter.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 PM

More schools open for expansion:

George Washington University(DC)- last expansion, Kappa Delta 2012

Portland State University(OR)- last expansion, Phi Sigma Sigma 1969

Our Lady of the Lake University (TX) - new Greek system

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 09-07-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
They also did in Minnesota but it was finally resolved. I thought at Berkley they just weren't going to let the chapter live in the house any longer. Am surprised they closed the chapter.
Housing is a critical issue at Berkeley due to the lack of affordable housing in the area. Many women going through recruitment are upfront that finding a stable housing situation is one of the motivators for going through recruitment. They have a very high proportion of senior residents as a result. If the national organization did not have another viable option, it may have been viewed as a safer move to close compared to the perceived impact of the chapter being unhoused.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
It was because of property taxes. If they "sold" the house to the international housing corp, the property taxes would have skyrocketed, and that would have been shoved back onto the colligate chapter members.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a wonderful time of the year. Thank you for the newest extension news. I just hate it when someone goes to a school without Greek Life!