GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,264
3 members and 2,261 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-29-2001, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb The engagement is OFF...

if this happens, should the recipient RETURN the ring? Or does the ring become the property of the recipient?

What do you think?

If your engagement ended, did you return the ring?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2001, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
Well AKA2D '91, according to Judge Judy en nem, the ring goes back to whom ever gave it unless otherwise specified. I don't agree with that but according to them (and I've watched many court shows dealing with this same scenerio), the ring was given in ANTICIPATION of a marriage and since that anticipation is null and void, you haveto give it back. Now it's a different story for a WEDDING RING. The law can be a b**ch sometimes.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

I know. I think I heard Judge Mathis say the same thing. But you know, there was a time PRIOR to dem judge shows. Also, everyone does NOT appear before a judge.

So, in that case, my question is still on the table.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

If my Emily Post serves me right, the woman can keep it, since it was given as a gift. I put emphasis on CAN. The only exception to this is if it's a heirloom ring, in which case she SHOULD return it to her ex-fiance.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

let me give this a try....

If I remember correctly from law school......the woman must give the ring back because, as someone stated, the ring was given in anticipation of marriage. However, this could vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. My other legal eagles out there....any comments???
Old 11-29-2001, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO @ THE NEW LEGAL EAGLES...

Whyyyyy ya'll gotta be all TECHNICAL and thangs?

Why can't a sista or a brotha (cause THEY say females are buying dudes engagement rangs, rather are proposing ), keep the ring, 'specially if they EARRRRNNNNNNNEDED IT?

I'm trying to cause havoc...okayyyyyy!

Forget all of that legal mess, cause I know there are some peeps out there that have kept that engagement ring...JUST BECAUSE!

Sidenote: I'VE NEVER BEEN IN THIS SITUATION. IF I became engaged and it ended, HELL, I WOULDN'T WANT TO SEE THA BUSTA, THE RING, OR ANYTHING RELATIVE TO HIM!
Old 11-30-2001, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: The engagement is OFF...

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
if this happens, should the recipient RETURN the ring? Or does the ring become the property of the recipient?

What do you think?

If your engagement ended, did you return the ring?
forget the legal eagle stuff, keep the ring, pawn it and spend the money...lol
Old 11-30-2001, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

If I called it off, I would give the ring back. If he called it off, too bad, so sad, shoulda thought about that.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I would want to keep the ring... it would just be a painful reminder.

Anyway, a former co-worker studying as a paralegal explained that an engagement ring is considered to be a contract for marriage...if the contract is broken, the purchaser keeps the ring.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

We've all heard of a marriage contract? Well, technically that is what marriage is. It is a contractual agreement between the two parties and the law looks at the ring as having been given as consideration to enduce the party to agree to the contract. For example- I agree to give you this ring and you agree in return to marry me. If you do not live up to your part of the bargin, you do not get to keep the ring. That would be an unjust enrichment. Off hand, I do not recall what kind of weight is given to who called off the wedding (ie. he gave the ring but he broke the contract) my instincts tell me it probably does not matter either way.

( I am an attorney- this is what I can recall from law school since I have never had such a case)

Of course, like anaything, the only way to make her give it back would be to sue. If he is not inclined to sue, I may not be inclined t o return it.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of broken engagements...

My aunt was engaged to this pretty wealthy man. They dated for many years and he finally popped the question along with a pretty hefty rock (3 carats to be exact). Well...for some reason after a few months of being engaged to my aunt, he broke the engagement off. (Hell, I know why...My aunt can work a serious nerve!!) Anywho...since HE broke the engagement off, she refused to give him the ring back!! He ended up having to take her to court and he sued her for the ring or either the cost of it. Needless to say, SHE LOST. She gave the ring back so she wouldn't have to pay him $15,000 (the pruchase price of the rock). You know my aunt was just sick!!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Well in the event of my cancelled engagement... I KEPT THE RING. It's mine.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Well, what if...

the ring gets lost? Are you still responsible for it? I figure, we all win... I lost the ring, if he was smart, he'd've (shut up, CT4) gotten insurance. He gets his money back, I keep my diamond, no one ever knows the difference, and everyone is happy.

DISCLAIMER: Not that I commit fraudulent crimes or anything, I was just sayin'.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Well, what if...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
the ring gets lost? Are you still responsible for it? I figure, we all win... I lost the ring, if he was smart, he'd've (shut up, CT4) gotten insurance. He gets his money back, I keep my diamond, no one ever knows the difference, and everyone is happy.

DISCLAIMER: Not that I commit fraudulent crimes or anything, I was just sayin'.

To go further, one could replace the stone with cz, return the ring and make a new ring out of the diamond. But..........DISCLAIMER: Not that I commit fraudulent crimes or anything, I was just sayin'.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It was always my understanding that the ring went to the dumpee. If you break up with him, you give the ring back, if he breaks up with you, you keep it. My last fi slept around on me and then left me for my little grandsis (THAT was TRES bad for chapter morale and it really split the chapter...I recommend against it), and since he was the jerk, I kept the ring. I then sold it and bought myself a bracelet at Tiffany's. I told him, however, that I went out to the Station Square Bridge at 3 in the morning and tossed it in the Monongahela River. Heehee.