GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,856
2 members and 2,854 guests
naraht

Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Length of Chapter Meeting

Hi all.

I'd like to get your opinion...

What do you think is the max time chapter should be? A lot of us think it should be an hour max, but some others think it's okay if it's 1.5/2 hours, like when we have a programming chapter.

What do you think?
Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM

In college, our meetings were usually no longer than an hour. All the chapters I volunteer with are all an hour, unless there is something going on like elections.

There's no reason for a regular chapter meeting to go longer than an hour.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your input!

What about in the case of programming...so when you have guest speakers? It should still be no more than an hour?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with KSUViolet-no longer than 1 hour unless special circumstances.

Guest speakers-it would be great to limit it to 1 hour-not only for the speakers benefit, but also for the chapters. Of course-if you had a Red Cross volunteer coming in to give CPR lessons, that might be longer, but again, that would be a special circumstance.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

For chapter meetings, we try to make them last no more than 2 hours, since the building we're in closes at night. Chapter choir is the same.

If we had someone coming in, we would keep it to about the same length unless the person was an Province/Regional Officer or from NH. It would be longer then, probably.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for all the replies. I'll mention that this is also for a Panhellenic sorority. A lot of other Panhellenic chapters on our campus vary from 30min to 1.5 hours.... but the associate chapters (music, christian, business, service) have told me their meetings usually last 2-3 hours!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think if you are having a business meeting, you should limit to one hour, even if you are doing programming. Have a paper meeting if you have a speaker so you don't prolong the meeting. If you want to stay later to do a sisterhood event during meeting time, you could go over the 1 hour time, but sisters should be allowed to leave if they want to. This should especially be adhered to if your chapter is having problems with attendance at chapter meetings.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I always tell my groups to have a 45 minute goal, and one hour limit for general business meetings. Special circumstances aside, reports and discussion should not last longer than that, and if they do you members will certainly start to turn on you, haha. If meetings going significantly over an hour I would recommend brushing up on parliamentary procedure and making sure you're using your committee system to its full potential.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm working with a new chapter. The first year, they really had a hard time keeping meetings under 2 hours, even with a resident sorority consultant. But, they were combining new member education with regular business the first semester. This year they have really tried to keep it to an hour, and that makes everyone happy. There are still things I think they could cut down on...like not taking verbal roll and just having the recording secretary eyeball and mark attendance. They have been making announcements more effectively via e-mail/electronic posting, too.

2-3 hours, noooooo way....I wouldn't worry about keeping up with the Joneses in that dept.!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

How often do your chapters meet? (For anyone who has posted)

My APO chapter met roughly monthly for anywhere from one hour to two, but we saw each other often in between for pledge meetings, eboard meetings, etc.

My NPHC alumni chapter often met for two hours, plus an hour repast. A past president changed it so that the meetings were exactly an hour. The problem is that they became cold and clinical and alienating of the older men for whom this was their only Alpha outlet every month.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC chapters meet weekly.

AOII

Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

All of them? Any reason why?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM

^^^Pretty much. It's just the standard thing.

Our alumnae chapters typically meet monthly so their meetings are usually a little longer.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
All of them? Any reason why?
Yeah, all of them meet weekly. It's part of the experience. Since meetings don't include alumnae members, meetings aren't spread out to accommodate their busy schedules.

AOII

Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the non-NPHC orgs at my school meet weekly as well. I can't speak for the NPHC orgs since they don't talk about when/where they meet.

For SigEp, our meetings are usually about an hour. We also try to keep them an hour for presentations as well. We will perform a paper-only meeting if there is an event after the meeting as well.

When I first joined, though, I experienced normal meetings that went 3 hours long. Thank goodness we're long past that point!!!!