GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,809
3 members and 1,806 guests
JayhawkAOII, KatieKate1244

Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

My fraternity is not in the nic but in the ifc

I recently got initiated two weeks ago and realized that I don’t fit in with the brothers or enjoy their company. Is there anyway I could re rush next quarter to an NIC frat since mine is not?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Most fraternities will not allow you to pledge and initiate if you have been in another fraternity, whether NIC, NP-HC, or MCGLO.

What made you pledge the fraternity that you joined? Was there a particular member you connected with? The reputation of the local group or the national fraternity?

What is it exactly that makes you feel that you don't fit in or enjoy their company now?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusik View Post
I recently got initiated two weeks ago and realized that I don’t fit in with the brothers or enjoy their company. Is there anyway I could re rush next quarter to an NIC frat since mine is not?
The IFC is the school chapter...the NIC is the national governing body.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ This is what i thought, too. On a campus, most NIC chapters are members of the local Random State College IFC. Right?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The IFC is the school chapter...the NIC is the national governing body.
I interpreted his post to mean that he joined a local GLO that is not in the NIC, but is a member of the local campus IFC. Though, he wasn't being very clear.

OP, I am curious why you went ahead with initiation if you weren't feeling it. I mean, it was all-good two weeks ago and then, after initiation, suddenly you don't like the men in the chapter? What happened?

True and Constant
Old 06-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What is the name of the organization you originally joined? This will help us confirm whether it is national, local, or what have you.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I interpreted his post to mean that he joined a local GLO that is not in the NIC, but is a member of the local campus IFC. Though, he wasn't being very clear.

OP, I am curious why you went ahead with initiation if you weren't feeling it. I mean, it was all-good two weeks ago and then, after initiation, suddenly you don't like the men in the chapter? What happened?
That was my first thought! Of course Original Poster, if it is a local only, you have no worry except in why you Associated (?) with? Was it out of desperation or what? To be truthful, if you are staying on the same campus, and I was in IFC/NIC Fraternity, I would never accept you! You have sullied your self).

I do not want to get into name calling!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-10-2019, 05:11 PM

The following organizations are not members of the NIC:

Kappa Sigma (withdrew 2002)
Phi Delta Theta (withdrew 2002)
Lambda Chi Alpha (withdrew 2015)
Tau Kappa Epsilon (withdrew 2016)

The OP could be a member of one of these organizations. While they have all withdrawn from the NIC, they are usually members of the campus IFC.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m in KE, so does that mean I can or can’t resign and be eligible to rush again
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I’m in KE, so does that mean I can or can’t resign and be eligible to rush again
If you are an initiated Kappa Sig, I believe it is possible in the abstract to resign, then petition your National to release you from your commitment and then rush again. The chances of getting another bid.... close to zero.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kappa Epsilon or Kappa Sigma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
If you are an initiated Kappa Sig, I believe it is possible in the abstract to resign, then petition your National to release you from your commitment and then rush again. The chances of getting another bid.... close to zero.
If he is talking about Kappa Sigma, that is [as you already know] a very well-known international fraternity. Being in the NIC is irrelevant in that case.

True and Constant
Old 06-10-2019, 09:42 PM

I thought it was still possible to resign and get released from one NIC and pledge another - some of them, anyway. All in the abstract of course.

OP - first for the love of Mike, even though you may have seen the Greek letter sigma used like an E on cutesy t shirt slogans, its English equivalent is not that. You are a KS, Kappa Sig or Kappa Sigma. You’re not a KE.

A more popular fraternity does not need to pledge a guy who’s already been initiated into another fraternity, so if that’s part of your thinking at all it isn’t going to happen.

You’ve been a full member for just two weeks. You’re already initiated. Stick it out and see if it gets better. Because this is probably your only chance to be Greek.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think it matters whether you're in an NIC fraternity or not. Each has their own policies with whether they're willing to release members or recruit members from other fraternities.

In mine, for example, if we received permission from the central office of a member's old fraternity, we'd allow a chapter to initiate that man.

So it all depends on which fraternity you're in now and where you're trying to go, but the NIC has nothing to do with it.
Instagram
FraternityMan.com
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I always thought it was mostly about ritual. Once you had been initiated and experienced the secrets and mysteries of your chosen fraternity, that knowledge made you unable to ever pledge or be initiated into another group.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
After you are initiated, there is really no practical way to resign your membership gracefully and join another social fraternity.

The comment about knowing the ritual and fraternity secrets is on point. In life, some decisions are irrevocable - this was one of them. Realistically, your options are 1) resign your membership, 2) if allowed, go inactive, or 3) figure out why you feel this way and make the best of your situation.

Keep in mind that each year active membership changes - people graduate, transfer, etc. So there will be new people each year joining. We have no way of knowing the reasons you feel you "don't fit in * * * or enjoy their company." Try to make friends with at least one other member. Maybe find one to be a roommate or, possibly, go to summer school and live in the fraternity house.

Last edited by PhilTau; 06-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.