GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,610
1 members and 1,609 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Help...Advice...Insight(??)

hi so im currently a Junior and joined a NPC org my freshmen yr of college. Coming into college, i had no idea what greek life was or the different kinds that existed (such as D9s and Multicultural orgs). When i entered college i thought that the orgs that were on my campus were the only ones i could be in and that I had no other option. Bc this is all i knew, i went through formal and ended up in a NPC org. It was cool at first but a year in something just didn't feel right. I'm hispanic by the way. so maybe it was just the differences in the culture of mine and most of the girls in my org.

Recently, about towards the end of my sophomore year, i finally learned about the different D9 sororities and some multicultural ones. also recently, Ive had some friends that brought a new org on campus (a NHPC org) . I didnt even know that was possible! bc of all this new knowledge ive gained, I realize that this org is just not the org for me. I am not happy in it and am not proud to be apart of it. I try to hide my affiliation as much as possible.

Looking back on everything, if i would have known that there were MANY different orgs that existed and that i was allowed to try to bring different orgs on campus, i definitely would not have made the choice that i did. I really regret it all and its just a constant bother in my head.

I am currently interested in a certain D9 org.... I was wondering if once i graduate i could just disaffiliate from the org i am in now and then join a graduate chapter for the D9 i am interested in.... i've done some research and found some different information regarding joining a different org after dropping from one. Some say no and others say it depends...

I would just like to hear others opinion on the matter on what i should do, maybe some facts on the policies. If the graduate chapter plan is not doable, i might just disaffiliate regardless and just become a non-affiliated person

thanks...
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthegreeks View Post
I am not happy in it and am not proud to be apart of it.
a part of it
Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Recently, about towards the end of my sophomore year, i finally learned about the different D9 sororities and some multicultural ones. also recently, Ive had some friends that brought a new org on campus (a NHPC org) . I didnt even know that was possible! bc of all this new knowledge ive gained, I realize that this org is just not the org for me. I am not happy in it and am not proud to be apart of it. I try to hide my affiliation as much as possible.

Looking back on everything, if i would have known that there were MANY different orgs that existed and that i was allowed to try to bring different orgs on campus, i definitely would not have made the choice that i did. I really regret it all and its just a constant bother in my head.

I am currently interested in a certain D9 org.... I was wondering if once i graduate i could just disaffiliate from the org i am in now and then join a graduate chapter for the D9 i am interested in.... i've done some research and found some different information regarding joining a different org after dropping from one. Some say no and others say it depends...

I would just like to hear others opinion on the matter on what i should do, maybe some facts on the policies. If the graduate chapter plan is not doable, i might just disaffiliate regardless and just become a non-affiliated person

thanks...

I bolded these parts for a reason. If you are so unhappy in your organization that you hide your affiliation, why are you waiting for graduation? Why not resign your membership now? You'll save money and let your sisters know exactly how you feel about your org and them.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am not happy in it and am not proud to be apart of it. I try to hide my affiliation as much as possible.

I am currently interested in a certain D9 org.... I was wondering if once i graduate i could just disaffiliate from the org i am in now and then join a graduate chapter for the D9 i am interested in....

You mentioned that you are considering waiting until after graduation to disaffiliate from your NPC org. Considering that you say that your current organization is fundamentally a wrong fit and you are ashamed to be a member, can you explain your reasoning for waiting until graduation instead of disaffiliating now?

Edited to add: LaneSig posted the same questions at the same time I did!

True and Constant
Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

navane & LaneSig,

You both make very valid points! I too ask myself this question from time to time. I think what is stopping me from doing it now is my fear of the social consequences (i guess you can call them that). My school is a small community so once i drop word would definitely get around quickly. I fear being seen in a bad light/ given a bad reputation. my logic is that if i do it once i finish undergrad, the action will have no way to affect my everyday life and reputation as i continue on to be an adult.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, you would have to resign your membership then just as you would now...and your chapter of initiation would be notified.

Second, the D9 do not allow members or former members of NIC (mens groups)join but I am not sure about NPC ones.

Third, you have no guarantee for the D9 group so you may end up with nothing.

And lastly, I find it quite odd that you 1) want to socialize with fraternities that aren't Hispanic but 2)don't want to belong to a group that also isn't Hispanic 3) want to join a group that also isn't Hispanic. What am I missing?????
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Please consider the sisters in the organization that you are currently a member of. With your unhappiness even acknowledging your membership, I am sure it is difficult for them to have you around, being ashamed of your affiliation. Be your true self!!

Please save your self some money and all this embarrassment. I say clean the slate and resign your NPC membership now, irrespective of a D9 pursuit.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
hi so im currently a Junior and joined a NPC org my freshmen yr of college. Coming into college, i had no idea what greek life was or the different kinds that existed (such as D9s and Multicultural orgs). When i entered college i thought that the orgs that were on my campus were the only ones i could be in and that I had no other option. Bc this is all i knew, i went through formal and ended up in a NPC org. It was cool at first but a year in something just didn't feel right. I'm hispanic by the way. so maybe it was just the differences in the culture of mine and most of the girls in my org.

thanks...

QFP
Old 05-11-2019, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

You’re not eligible to join a D9 org. Just like the NPC orgs, it is a requirement for membership in the NPHC women’s orgs that you have not been initiated as a member of another NPC or NPHC org. When people say it depends, they mean it depends on how far you got in the process with the other org, and whether the other org was, say, a local sorority or another Greek-lettered service org (there are plenty of Greek-lettered orgs that aren’t NPC or NPHC).

Disaffiliating (or being expelled) from your current org will not make you eligible. Falsifying this information will result in having your membership revoked.

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t have full information, but your best option really is to make the best of the situation you have.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're going to wait until graduation, why not just stay affiliated and try to reconnect to your org in a different way - with different members - as an alumna?

@~/~~~~
Old 05-12-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
navane & LaneSig,

You both make very valid points! I too ask myself this question from time to time. I think what is stopping me from doing it now is my fear of the social consequences (i guess you can call them that). My school is a small community so once i drop word would definitely get around quickly. I fear being seen in a bad light/ given a bad reputation. my logic is that if i do it once i finish undergrad, the action will have no way to affect my everyday life and reputation as i continue on to be an adult.
Do you have a little sister or is there a chance of your being given one? Do you hold any offices or serve on any committees? If so it’s not really fair for you to stay in just because you’re worried about your “reputation.” Your displeasure with the sorority is undoubtedly affecting them.

If you’re always hiding that you’re a part of the sorority that you’re in, to the point that people who meet you don’t know you’re in it, how is it going to be a big deal if you self terminate?

You aren’t eligible for NPHC membership. You can either try to make the best of things with the sorority you are in and try and enjoy your senior year, or if you are that miserable, terminate yourself now. If it’s a small chapter the last thing they need is dead weight.