GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,257
1 members and 2,256 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 08-26-2003, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to strawberrysismd Send a message via Yahoo to strawberrysismd
i think there are a couple on my campus; sig kap, alpha phi, and zta (which i'm a member of); i think its really hard to truly understand what an org is all about if you're not a part of it
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2003, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

On my campus:

The most underrated sorority is probably Gamma Phi. They have so many amazing girls and really do a good job at everything but get no recognition as an organization - although a fair number of individuals in their chapter get a lot of attention.

The most underrated fraternity... hmm... i have to think about this one! Possibly Delta Chi, really sweet guys in that fraternity although I don't know too many of them.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This is just such an awesome thread. Becasue what some of you are saying are the "underrated" houses on your campuses are definitely the top dogs on mine! LOL

On my campus Phi Mu is the most underrated. (And I'm not just saying that becuase it's my house!) Seriously, we get told so often that we are great girls by the guys who know us, but it's hard to break our old-campus image of being geeks. But we're stepping up and changing our image!!! The top sorority on our campus is probably AXO. (WE have AXO, DZ, Phi Mu and Phi Sigma Sigma)

The most underrated frat on campus is prolly PKT. They get seen as the "friends" a little too often. And they ARE great guys, and they're coming into their own now too. The top frat was ATO for a while, but they got kicked off campus for a LOT of reasons, but now I think SigEp has usurped their position.

Pink is my signature color. ~ Steel Magnolias.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the most underrated fraternity on our campus is Pi Kapp. They are the greatest guys, and have the highest GPA, but they get written off by guys because they're new and don't have a house yet. My best friend is one, and I've seen nothing but changes for the better since he joined. All the guys I've met have been awesome.

Funny story about the one guy that kinda made me raise my eyebrow, and go "Boy, do YOU fit the stereotype." My friend and I were heading out of Starbucks, which is right next to a bar and grill, and we passed one of his brothers coming out of work. We asked him what he was up to, and he pointed at the bar and said, "Beer." The tone of voice, look on his face, and just the sheer determination of his walk toward the bar made me picture him in an 80's or 90's party movie wearing a toga.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We are until next semester. Booya!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
... I mean honestly really only the greeks know about greeks on our campus...
It's a pretty similar situation at my alma mater, even though over 1/3 of the campus was in a GLO!!!

I'll join the trend and say that my chapter was probably the most underrated at my school, because we have always been so small. We'll return numbers in the fall of about 20-25, where other orgs are returning about 35-45 members. We've also been consistently "underachieving" in formal recruitment (because a lot of us have been very uncomfortable in those highly pressurized, "scripted" recruitment parties), but when it comes to COR, we consistently compete (and usually match or beat) some of the more prestigious chapters on campus. I love my chapter because it's so down to earth, but a lot of the fraternities would look at our numbers and would refuse to do anything with us (also, on our campus, you had to book your Homecoming/Greek Weekend partners WAYYYYY in advance to even have a party for those weekends...in the past, we were always the odd man out, but in the recent past a few of the other sororities weren't being partnered up with anyone) and we've also done the same number of hours of community service and other things that the other chapters have done, WITH less numbers than they have.

Fraternities on our campus are all pretty well-known....the Phi Sigs on our campus have struggled in numbers, as have the Phi Delts, but for the most part they've all maintained pretty good reputations (while Sig Eps and Phi Psis battle it out while living next door to one another)!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: atlanta....its hot here... cant breath... too humid... helppp
im gonna say DZ is the most underrated sorority... they are great girls but for some reason they dont get the attention they deserve.

as for fraternities, id say sigma nu is underrated... it seems to just have started happening in the last yr, from what i can tell. but they deff had the best philantrophy events and are always really nice guys. yep, sigma nu deserves a lot more then they get
Old 11-17-2003, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
[For fraternities, Delta Kappa Epsilon is. But, they've had a reputation to live down due to the previous go-round with their chapter. [/B]
As it is hardly a closely guarded state secret that DEKES are often viewed as somewhat outrageous, are you sure that the chapter was trying to live down its reputation, or perhaps trying to live up to it?
Seriously, was this a recent brush with the administration? I am more used to visiting exceptionally strong chapters and must confess to occasional bouts of arrogance on my own part. I try not to take it all too seriously, but the thought of a DEKE chapter swathed in humility is a marvel to consider. If you have a spare few minutes would you please PM me with any details you might share as to chapter location and what was the problem? Many thanks.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

You know i never really think about being overrated or underated. I really don't know how other houses see eachother, and ususally i'm too busy with my own house to notice what other houses are doing. Doesn't really come down to who you are asking anyway.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

There are a number of underrated organizations here, for a lot of different reasons. Among the sororities:

- Delta Gamma; they are perennially one of the most involved groups on campus and one of the biggest sororities, and although they are popular, they don't get the recognition that a couple of the other big sororities get. The UW Homecoming Queen has been a DG four out of the past five or six years, a lot of their members are really involved with things on campus, and they have never come off as anything other than classy and fun.
- Kappa Alpha Theta; academically, philanthropically, and sisterhood-wise they are very strong. Name a Greek activity and the Thetas always go all out. I've worked with a number of them on Dance Marathon and they are great girls.
- Alpha Phi; they put so much work into recruitment and it is starting to pay off. Until recently even I didn't know how many girls they had -- I thought they were 3/4 the size that they actually are. For the most part they are incredibly down-to-earth and also really involved on campus.
- Tri Delta (of course)

Among the fraternities, I'm less sure, but I can say for certain that Alpha Delta Phi, Zeta Psi, AEPi and Acacia deserve to be up there.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Most under rated frat

I would have to say that although I'm not greek and wasn't greek in undergrad, I think that the most underrated frat by far was TKE. They were the guys who got the "pretty boy/nerd" rap, and the ones who were the "computor, sci fi" geeks that were dorks in high school but grew up and joined a frat. These guys had the highest GPA, did the most community service, and recruited members who had the most impact on campus.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Us! Without a doubt! *at least that is how I feel* We have trouble getting girls because of the fact that we are real and it's not that hard to see that we do have problems....but at the same time, we aren't fake and our girls know what they are getting into, and thats why we get awsome new sisters!

For the most underrated frat I have to say Phi Sigma Chi (a regional). From what I have seen they are an awsome group of guys and I am looking foward to getting to know them better at our upcoming mixer!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 12-02-2003, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buttonz
Us! Without a doubt! *at least that is how I feel* We have trouble getting girls because of the fact that we are real and it's not that hard to see that we do have problems....but at the same time, we aren't fake and our girls know what they are getting into, and thats why we get awsome new sisters!
Ditto for KLP!!! We are the awesomest group of girls ever! (No I'm not biased or anything like that... hehe) Being the only local on campus makes a lot of people overlook us. Also it's hard cuz like when the other sororities have rush violations, they have nationals to step in and bail them out meanwhile we have to be a lot more careful as to what we do. We do a lot of stuff for the school and we won Club of the Year for the past 2 years in a row!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
Morehead

Here at Morehead the most underrated sorority is probably Gamma Phi. Thay have some really awesome girls but for some reason you just dont hear a lot about them.
The most underrated frat is probably Pi Kap's. I think they are great guys and i love hanging out with them...but in the years past i think they have had charter problems.
On a some what different note i think that there are A LOT of overrated sororities and frats on campus as well. I could talk about that all day.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
DKE had their house condemned and were thrown out of it, had their charter revoked for numerous financial and risk management reasons, and honestly, while they were fun, didn't really seem to get it in terms of fraternity. They have since recolonized/rechartered and are doing well.

Quote:
Originally posted by dekeguy
As it is hardly a closely guarded state secret that DEKES are often viewed as somewhat outrageous, are you sure that the chapter was trying to live down its reputation, or perhaps trying to live up to it?
Seriously, was this a recent brush with the administration? I am more used to visiting exceptionally strong chapters and must confess to occasional bouts of arrogance on my own part. I try not to take it all too seriously, but the thought of a DEKE chapter swathed in humility is a marvel to consider. If you have a spare few minutes would you please PM me with any details you might share as to chapter location and what was the problem? Many thanks.