GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,358
3 members and 2,355 guests
ForeverAOII, PGD-GRAD, saphqueen

Old 08-08-2000, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I always push engineering majors myself when people ask because I assume the pay off is huge. But I read an article on some web site (monster.com??) where an engineer was saying how so many of them eventually go get their MBA's because their career just sort of, for lack of a better word, tops off eventually. I did't read a article all the way through, since it wasn't of that much interest to me, but has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2000, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

The immediate payoff for Engineering is really good, around $45-50k, except for Civil Engineering. They start off on the low end of the scale, around $35k. When you become a Professional Engineer, you get a big pay boost, which is bigger for Civils, and puts them even with other Engineers. As far as Computer Science goes, you have to enjoy sitting in front of a computer typing in code all day. I did it last summer and hated it! In each engineering major, there are so many different fields you can go into, it's hard not to find a job you like. Many of my friends are going to grad school, most for MBA, and several others are going into the Air Force.

Anyway, although the money is good for engineering, I wouldn't have chosen it if I didn't like it. I would rather have a job I like than make great money. Not to say I wouldn't take a job that wasn't my dream job for the right money. I just couldn't stand to go to work every day knowing I would despise it, regardless how much I was making!

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 08-08-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
To answer your question, mwedzi, an engineering degree is worthwhile in and of itself only if you really really like working as an engineer. A lot people with BS engineering degrees go on to MBAs, true, because they like managing better than creating/maintaining. A lot do stay and work as engineers, or go on for higher degrees in engineering. It honestly depends on what you like. Honestly, I despise the engineering curriculum, but I loved my summer experiences working as a Process Engineer. I could never teach or do research, I realize...but I relish troubleshooting a process and finding ways to improves processes. Ultimately, whatever floats one's boat. Go for an engineering degree if you want to work as an engineer or work up through management in an engineering-based company, but don't go for engineering just for the dollars. That's the wrong way to go.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-10-2000, 12:03 AM
Artimis

Quote:
Originally posted by mwedzi:
But equeen, here's the really, really, really important question for me. What is job satisfaction like for those who go into engineering, computer engineering, and computer science (if you know anything about the last)? I mean, working your butt off for a few years is one thing. That can be done. But what about the rest of your life?
I'm an In-jin-er (Engineer that is ) and have been in the field for a bit over 3 years. Engineer is defintly not for everyone. And I would even go to the extend that the different branches and aspects are not for every engineer. Like anything finding where you belong in the work force is important.

I entered college with pursuit of an aerospace engineering degree - not for the money but for the love of the field. Honestly, I didn't even realize how much engineers made until after I "declared" engineering. I don't regret any of those late nights, lack of sleep days.

Finding your "niche" and dedicating your career in that area is important. After 3 different departments, two different companies and states, I think i've finally found a place i can call home both in and outside of work.

As far as job satisfication, with any job you can get flustrated at the BS that goes around you. But the sense of completion and accomplishment you get from finishing a task and sometimes knowing what kind of effect it has is wonderful! My industry few engineers get to see the birth to production of a new vehcile. Here is to hoping!

Jennifer
"rocket scientist" extrodinare!

------------------

Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice
Old 08-10-2000, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
~*LOL*~
..Sister, your enthusiasm for being a aero-e always has me smilin'...I can just see you saying, with that wide-eyed innocent smile: "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--