GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 689
1 members and 688 guests
*winter*

Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
mike068

Fraternity Trouble

Hey guys.
I recently pledged a fraternity at my school and am thinking about depledging. The reason is because i am transfering schools next year and because i dont think i fit in with the guys as much as I thought originally. Also i think this is really taking up alot of my time and affecting my grades. If i decide to deplege how long would i have to wait before i can pledge another frat. Also would the other frats at the transfer school know i pledged this one and would it be harder to get a bid?

Last edited by mike068; 10-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems you're so nonchalant about shrugging this group of guys off and joining another fraternity. Your other post on GC indicates you want to join Pike. I say this honestly that you need to look at yourself and examine whether or not it's an issue with the fraternity or you just don't want to do what is expected during the pledge process.

To answer your question, I don't think there will is a time period before you can rush again if you transfer schools, though you will be asked about your former school and if your rushed there. You can either lie or be honest, both of which could negatively affect you at your new school.

But you really need to honestly examine whether it is worth it or not to drop out at this point in time. Just remember what made you accept the bid to your current fraternity in the first place.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike068 View Post
Hey guys.
I recently pledged a fraternity at my school and am thinking about depledging. The reason is because i am transfering schools next year and because i dont think i fit in with the guys as much as I thought originally. Also i think this is really taking up alot of my time and affecting my grades. If i decide to deplege how long would i have to wait before i can pledge another frat. Also would the other frats at the transfer school know i pledged this one and would it be harder to get a bid?

Do you think that being at a different school will change the fact that pledging is a huge time commitment and may affect your grades again?

I think you need to seriously consider if fraternity life is for you. After pledging, you may likely need to make just as much of a time commitment, and in some cases, more, as an active member.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IBelieve1897
Depledge immediately and dont even think about rushing another fraternity again, i know as an active i spend a lot of time dealing with fraternity business and most of it has to do with pledges so do the guys you wanted to be brothers with a favor and stop wasting their time.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 PM
mike068

I dont mind the whole pledging thing and time commitment. However, right now im trying to transfer into a better school and i need my grades to be up to par. If i decide to drop this and pledge there would i have a good chance getting a bid as a transfer and someone who was a pledge of anotehr frat.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

the sad truth is, if they don't know about it, it won't affect your chances.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey guys.

Is this you? - http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=99513

Quote:
Originally Posted by meris413 View Post
I am considering pledging either lambda chi alpha or pike at my school. I am currently a sophomore and am worried that if i dont pledge now i wont be able to get in as an older dude at my transfer schools. I am planning on transfering to either Florida State or UFL and both frats exist at the schools. Should i pledge now and transfer or wait and rush at the new school as a junior if thats possible?
and
Quote:
uhh that post about brotherhood and sorority doesnt make any sense. I have signed the bid and am now an associate member/or pledge. I feel that I've made the right decision and am happy with it. Wish me luck for whatever happens next year. I will update you guys on how it goes and thanks for all the help.
and

Quote:
Guys i need help. After trying this pledging thing for a while i have really been worried about whats gonna happen in the future and since my bros know im gonna transfer i dont think there as friendly with me. Also i dont feel i really fit in with these guys as much as I first thought. The president is letting me decide until sunday with no penalty regarding money. What should i do?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...Did you really just give away that much info?

You do realize that by coming on Greek Chat and giving out information that you go to Old Dominion University and you are looking to transfer to either FSU or UF is going to be a dead give away if anyone on GreekChat recognizes you-right?

Also, if you are in a chapter at ODU and your brothers find out that you are looking to join LXA or Pike (and that's not the organization you are currently in)-they could easily find a reason to kick you out or just be complete jerks to you if they are avid posters on GC.

I would say your discretion has gone out the window. Good luck with whatever you do but, as it has been mentioned before-it seems as though you are trying to gain some back door popularity and that is not looked upon highly by any member of a fraternity or even in a sorority. It's seen as disrespectful to the brothers who chose you at your current school and looks pathetic to the fraternities on one of the new campuses you are going to.

What if the two fraternities on those campuses decide not to give you a bid? Well, many of the other organizations could turn you away just for posting all about wanting to be a member of XYZ on GC. Also, if you are a member of DEF and you transfer (after dropping the chapter) don't think for one second the brothers of DEF at these others schools won't be told about it.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:42 PM

From what I understand from being around GC, fraternity chapters FSU and UF don't automatically take on every single transfer brother who wants to affiliate. So your plan to pledge where you are and affiliate at your new school may backfire if your chapter at the other school decides they don't want to take you on.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I dont mind the whole pledging thing and time commitment. However, right now im trying to transfer into a better school and i need my grades to be up to par. If i decide to drop this and pledge there would i have a good chance getting a bid as a transfer and someone who was a pledge of anotehr frat.
This is new information you did not put in your thread at Fraternity Recruitment under another username.

In your other thread you acted like your transfer was a done deal- but here you make it sound like a "maybe".

Taking this into account with your other thread where you state the chapter you pledged has offered you the chance to leave at no cost and where you indicate things are not going well- depledge now is my advice.

This is the same advice I gave you in the other thread, but now I would add some additional advice to take IBelieve1897's guidance to forget Greek Life period (unless you have a serious change of attitude.)

This is not a game- and in general terms if you plan to transfer to a more scholastically competitive campus you are more likely to be transferring into a more competitive Greek system. So odds are the trouble you have had so far will only be magnified once you transfer unless you give some serious thought to why you really want to go Greek- and come up with some good reasons.

It is quite easy to retrieve your password if you forget it- so I am not buying the excuse you give here for changing your username. If you were 40 maybe, but if you are college age then you have the basic internet life skills to know this.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

u just got e-hazed