GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,370
1 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

New to Greek Life

Hey,
I'm Tommy, and not your typical pledge. After high school, I started a business and sold it 2 years later. I joined the Air Force after that, and I've recently been honorably discharged after 5 years at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. I will now be using my GI Bill to attend Texas Christian University in the spring of next year. with that being said, I am interested in joining a Fraternity. I would like to think I'm aware of the benefits of joining a fraternity, but I am here to learn as much information as I can, good or bad. As I will be attending in the spring but not as a traditional freshman, I was wonder the adverse effects of this prospect. Also, would it be a better idea to rush next fall instead, or join as soon as possible?

Thank you,

Tommy
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Tommy, thank you for your service to our country. I hope some of the GC gentlemen will come on and answer your questions. Good luck at TCU.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, thank you for your service.

Generally speaking it is not unusual for “older” students to receive a bid if they are a good fit. However, your age “may” be an issue as you would be roughly 3 to 7 years older than most members of a chapter. I’m not sure about the TCU campus culture and if it matters (or how much it might matter) if you rush in the fall versus the spring, but I would think that rushing the first possible chance might be ideal.

Finally, there are a few GC members who attended TCU and they may be able to answer some of your questions as they pertain specifically to TCU.

Best of luck.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Tommy,

I am a TCU grad and sorority alumna. There is another TCU alum, much younger than I am, who would be more knowledgable on the subject of current TCU fraternity culture. I suspect that he will comment on this thread, and so will wait for him to chime in.

While I wish that I could help you with your questions, I mostly just wanted to pop in and say: Best of luck to you and Go Frogs!
--CT
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm here, sorry I'm late!

I will say it would be unusual, but not unheard of, for someone of your age to join a fraternity. I know my chapter recently took an army vet, but I believe he was round 22 or 23 years old. Simply said, and not to be rude, I think most chapters would disqualify you because of your age.

What do you want to get out of the experience? Most of the men in the group are probably on a much lower level of life experience and overall maturity. The men you would be joining with would likely be 18 or 19 years old. Would you have much in common with them or see yourself as forming strong brotherhood with these men?

Also, spring recruitment for men at TCU is very half-assed. Less than half of the fraternities take spring classes, and usually it between 3-6 guys. TCU fraternities are generally not very good about proactively recruiting men during this time. Fall is when most of the groups will take 30+ if possible.

I would be more than happy to answer more questions in detail, either in this thread or by PM, just let me know.