GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-27-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GiggyZ
Post HS Fraternities and Sororities

I am sure that HS frats and sororities have been around for a long time. However, they seem to be coming into their own. I have seen members of BGLOs mentor these orgs. I have seen HS stepteams who have adopted Greek Letters. What are your views on HS fraternities and sororities? If you were (are) a member of one, please share your views.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2001, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I personally don't have strong feelings for HS sororities and fraternities either way. One thing I have noticed that they have borrowed a lot of traditions from college fraternities and sororites, and unfortunately some of these HS groups haze. And that's a shame. There was a young lady on the greeklife forum asking for hazing ideas. I thought that was pretty terrible.

I also see HS groups walking around with line names and the like, and I'm wondering where they are getting these things from. I hope they aren't watching any of these insipid movies out here or going through their parents scrapbooks for ideas.

ZetaAce
Old 02-27-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I went to a very old traditonal Black high school with a long tradition of "Social Clubs"
I was even a part of one...but lately I am becoming more and more skeptical about them.
I don't mind them stepping etc.

But when they are going to greek parties and strollin etc I think it is a bit much

I think something should be left for college
life
Old 02-28-2001, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in a high school sorority in Detroit. It was called Eboni Pearls. We did not haze, have greek letters, party stroll, or anything. We did however step once in our school's black history program. I had a wonderful time during my time in EP. I think it is a good way for young black men and WOMEN to come together and actually get along. We mainly focused on community service, and that was a must to remain active, as well as your gpa. What makes these high school fraternities and sororities bad, is when people try and make them into "real" greek lettered organizations.
Old 03-01-2001, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Jay:
I was in a high school sorority in Detroit. It was called Eboni Pearls. We did not haze, have greek letters, party stroll, or anything. We did however step once in our school's black history program. I had a wonderful time during my time in EP. I think it is a good way for young black men and WOMEN to come together and actually get along. We mainly focused on community service, and that was a must to remain active, as well as your gpa. What makes these high school fraternities and sororities bad, is when people try and make them into "real" greek lettered organizations.
I believe that any greek-letter organization is a REAL greek-letter organization. Realness is a function of having greek letters. Nothing more. Nothing less. I do have an issue with high school greek-letter organizations that functions as nothing more than step teams. I can site one specific example here in Florida and I am about to get somewhat specific so some Floridians may know who I am talking about. Two years ago a male and female step teams came to my city to perform. They both had greek-letters and they both had members of NPHC organizations serving as mentors and advisors. I can not understand why any Greek (especially when the organizations to which they belong have national youth auxiliaries). To place Greek letters on a step team--not a group of students committed to principles of brotherhood/sisterhood, service, etc., sends the wrong message especially when NPHC BGLO members sanction it. Maybe I am just getting old. LOL
Old 03-01-2001, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some high school fraternities and sororities auxillaries of the collegiate/alumni organizations? My niece was a member of the Kappa Pearls in high school, and even though I tried to make her see the beautiful Blue & White light, she became a member of another greek organization (three guesses as to which one). She said that of the other members of the Kappa Pearls who went on to college, about 90-95% of them became members of the same organization she joined. It's almost like there's an unspoken agreement that if you become a Kappa pearl, you're destined to join.. you know who.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I'm 36(YIPPEE), guess I'm getting old too. I was in HS in the early 80's. We had 3 social clubs at my HS, PERCY L. JULIAN.
These 3 groups did nothing in terms of service. It was terrible to see what some of the ladies had to go through just to be "IN". I was pretty popular, and all 3 groups asked me, and I turned them down flat.
Even has a young woman I was about Service and Scholarship, not wearing T-shirts, laughing at the "FAT' girl who wanted to join, or the"less attractive" girl who wanted to join. I was always stronger then that.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

GiggyZ, when I say "real" greek lettered organizations. I mean being known nationally, giving back with the community service you do for your organizations, and it being for life. As much as I loved Eboni Pearls and the other young women that were involved, I only keep close contact with one and we are not known nationally. Once we graduated, it was over. Sorry if I offended with my mean of a "real" greek lettered organization. It's only my opinion.
Old 03-03-2001, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Jay:
GiggyZ, when I say "real" greek lettered organizations. I mean being known nationally, giving back with the community service you do for your organizations, and it being for life. As much as I loved Eboni Pearls and the other young women that were involved, I only keep close contact with one and we are not known nationally. Once we graduated, it was over. Sorry if I offended with my mean of a "real" greek lettered organization. It's only my opinion.
Ms. Jay your words did not offend me at all and although we can disagree, you and any other responsible member of this forum has a right to share opinions. I now understand your definition of real Greek. I stand by my opinion that any organization with Greek letters is a real greek organization regardless of its geographical reach.

Having said that we must not confuse what I was talking about originally. I am referring to greek letter High School groups--NOT groups with names like Eboni Wonders, Sisters of Distinction, Southside Players, etc. These clubs have always existed and often do not have NPHC mentorship. Back in ancent times (i.e. the late 70's) when I was a high school student, we had a few of these groups that wore jackets, had little initiation rituals, etc. But they were not recongized by the high school nor were they linked to the vast NPHC BGLO network.

My query referred to organizations with names like Kappa Alpha Phi or Delta Alpha Sigma, etc. These organizations have taken greek letters, mimic what they beleive the black "Greek" experience to be, and sometimes have mentors/advisors who are members of NPHC organizations. I have stated and will state again that I do not understand how any NPHC member can serve as advisor to a group like this when their own organization had a nationally sanctioned youth group.

Many NPHC orgs have youth auxiliaries, for example Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., has three--Archonettes (high school girls), Amicettes (middle school girls) and Pearlettes (pre-school and elementary girls). In Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, these are the ONLY THREE sanctioned youth organizations that are a part of our sorority family. I don't care if a group is running around some hs campus with blue and white shirts, calling themselves Zetaettes, saying meow or whatever--THEY ARE NOT SANCTIONED BY ZETA AND ARE THEREFORE NOT TO ASSOCIATED WITH ZETA PHI BETA or our youth auxiliaries. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., has the Sigma Beta Club for boys. This is the PBS youth affiliate.

My understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) is that other NPHC organizations have youth groups that have the "blessing" of the national organization. Young women or men running around in crimson clothing or gold socks should not be confused with the teen groups that have NPHC ties.

NPHC youth groups must work closely with their sponsoring sorority or fraternity. They have the opportunity to gain valuable leadership skills by participating in conference and workshops at the local, area, state, regional and national levels.

I am not familiar with any group called Kappa Pearls. Perhaps someone can share that national organization with which they are affiliated. Or is this a group of young women who adopted colors of an NPHC sorority without any ties to that organization? I suspect that is the later.

Old 03-03-2001, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay SoTrue1920--forgive little ole me. I believe I know what you were referring to re: the Pearls group. NPHC sanctioned youth orgs are outside of my original concern. I have no issue with them. See comments above.

So sorry for the confusion because I have only heard of Twenty Pearls down in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

No stress, Soror. I just wasn't clear on your original inquiry. I have nothing but love for you, Soror.

Quote:
Originally posted by GiggyZ:
Okay SoTrue1920--forgive little ole me. I believe I know what you were referring to re: the Pearls group. NPHC sanctioned youth orgs are outside of my original concern. I have no issue with them. See comments above.

So sorry for the confusion because I have only heard of Twenty Pearls down in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-05-2001, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel0497
I do not have a problem with HS social clubs or whatever in general. I have a problem when these orgs try to mimic BGLO's, haze, or believe their sole purpose is to step and/or do calls. They(in my opinion)cheapen the ideas that BGLO's are supposed to represent.