GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,649
3 members and 1,646 guests
MSKKG, Tridentia

Old 05-28-2001, 08:18 PM
Banned

Angry Severe social anxiety

I am painfully shy, in person. Once I am comfortable I can be pretty outgoing, but when I am not I freeze up and I cannot say one word. It's beginning to get on my nerves, really. Please, someone outgoing, give me some advice on how to overcome this.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:54 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by SH80:
I am painfully shy, in person. Once I am comfortable I can be pretty outgoing, but when I am not I freeze up and I cannot say one word. It's beginning to get on my nerves, really. Please, someone outgoing, give me some advice on how to overcome this.
Oh yeah, what's even worse is that somehow I attract friends that are also shy and quiet,
and the few outgoing friends I had they seem to split. That does not help my situation.

Old 05-28-2001, 09:39 PM

Social Anxiety can suck big time. I swing between mini panic attacks at the thought of being in a crowd to social butterfly.

There are medications out ther to help social anxiety. But, if you're like me; the thought of taking those pills is none to appealing.

Normally my advice is get more involved. But I know you're already in APhiO. Are you in any other groups?

It is easier when your friends are out going too. But you don't actually have control over that.

If you try to meet one new person a week; that may help you in the long run. Just swallow the nerves and say hi to that guy sitting next to you in class. When there's no extra seats for lunch in the student union; ask to sit w/ some strangers at a table.

Not being a shy is something you have to practice at. There's no magic cure!
Old 05-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl:
Social Anxiety can suck big time. I swing between mini panic attacks at the thought of being in a crowd to social butterfly.

There are medications out ther to help social anxiety. But, if you're like me; the thought of taking those pills is none to appealing.

Normally my advice is get more involved. But I know you're already in APhiO. Are you in any other groups?

It is easier when your friends are out going too. But you don't actually have control over that.

If you try to meet one new person a week; that may help you in the long run. Just swallow the nerves and say hi to that guy sitting next to you in class. When there's no extra seats for lunch in the student union; ask to sit w/ some strangers at a table.

Not being a shy is something you have to practice at. There's no magic cure!
Yeah that is toughest, I need someone who can connect me to the outside world. Being an only child, my mom being an only child, my dad being the only boy, having super overprotective grandparents who I spent a whole lot of time with when I was growing up, and having friends who are just as anti-social as I am leads me to no knowledge on how to deal with people.

Old 05-29-2001, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Do you really have a "social anxiety disorder" that may require medication like Paxil or Zanax? Or are you that "antisocial"? Do you want to be "more outgoing"? And if so, do you know how? In my experience, avoiding group situations was out of fear of the unknown or being unable to "relate" to folks as if they were laughing at me... Somehow, I got over it and don't really care what folks think about me. So, I can suggest some ways you can work through your situations? Hit me up on the email!
Old 05-29-2001, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet:
Do you really have a "social anxiety disorder" that may require medication like Paxil or Zanax? Or are you that "antisocial"? Do you want to be "more outgoing"? And if so, do you know how? In my experience, avoiding group situations was out of fear of the unknown or being unable to "relate" to folks as if they were laughing at me... Somehow, I got over it and don't really care what folks think about me. So, I can suggest some ways you can work through your situations? Hit me up on the email!
I've been on paxil twice. It helped, but it made me really drowsy. I am currently taking prozac and I think it is actually making my anxiety worse. Yeah, I know how to be outgoing, but I seem to scare people away when I "open up". They usually percieve me as funny at first and then they scatter. It beats me!?!

Old 05-29-2001, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't know if this helps any...but have you ever thought about visiting a psychologist? I took Psychology last semester and learned about Social Anxiety Disorder. Many times, the patients are not successful until they visit a Therapist, who can see if maybe they have an underlying fear.

Medications help, but most importantly, seeing someone who can see if there are underlying causes can probably be of greater help .

Does that help? Hope everything works out for you!
Old 05-29-2001, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am currently taking prozac and I think it is actually making my anxiety worse.
[/B]
Isn't prozac against depression? If you are shy isn't that something completely different? Plus - I think it is cute! Why be so anxious about it.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought Prozac was for Social Anxiety? I know that Paxil is, though.

Also, if you were NOT diagnosed with Social Anxiety, then just relaxing more will help a lot. But if you DO have Social Anxiety Disorder, a combo of seeing a therapist + medications really helps.

More on that later...

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited May 29, 2001).]
Old 05-29-2001, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie:
Well, I don't know if this helps any...but have you ever thought about visiting a psychologist? I took Psychology last semester and learned about Social Anxiety Disorder. Many times, the patients are not successful until they visit a Therapist, who can see if maybe they have an underlying fear.

Medications help, but most importantly, seeing someone who can see if there are underlying causes can probably be of greater help .

Does that help? Hope everything works out for you!
Yep, more than I can count on my right hand.
Perhaps, it can be something more than anxiety, I have even more trouble relating to people especially on a group basis and other females. Believe it or not I am entirely different in person than I am on GC, well, until people get to know me.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

To be honest, I used to have the same problem SH80... I just sort of grew out of it. It was like waking up one day and being like "What the hell was I thinking?"

I think some form of social anxiety exists for everyone (obviously some more than others).
Its all in how you deal with it. You can either let it control you, or, everytime you start to feel anxiety, you can immediately force yourself to say "hi" to a stranger, or strike up a conversation with some "random". That's what I used to do, now I have no problem with talking to strangers, or even in front of groups of people. Give it a shot...

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me
Old 05-29-2001, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there SH80! That does sound like Social Anxiety Disorder, to me. Since the term is basically defined as "extremely afraid of group interaction," etc. (Well, don't quote me on that, that's just the basic definition. )

Are you more afraid of interaction between females or males? There might be subdivisions to Social Anxiety, too...I will have to get back to you on that one, I'm gonna look up my old notes again .

Good luck and take care until then!

Old 05-29-2001, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hi there SH80! That does sound like Social Anxiety Disorder, to me. Since the term is basically defined as "extremely afraid of group interaction," etc. (Well, don't quote me on that, that's just the basic definition. )

Are you more afraid of interaction between females or males? There might be subdivisions to Social Anxiety, too...I will have to get back to you on that one, I'm gonna look up my old notes again .

Chatting with males isn't so bad, but with females, they intimidate the heck out of me.
And, again I think my communication problems has to do more with me relating to people than social anxiety. The first time I ever had constant contact with people was when I join APhiO and ZTA. And, that was just within the last year.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

Chatting with males isn't so bad, but with females, they intimidate the heck out of me.
And, again I think my communication problems has to do more with me relating to people than social anxiety. The first time I ever had constant contact with people was when I join APhiO and ZTA. And, that was just within the last year.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote: