GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,773
1 members and 1,772 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-08-2003, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

New Grad Anxiety?

Hey GC,
I haven't been on GC in a while but I have a quick question for all of you new and old grads. I graduated this past June and instead of being really excited about being an "adult" now, I just seem to miss and reminisce about college and my sorority. Maybe it's because of this horrible job market, having to now take on real responsiblities and also due to the fact that I am horrible when it comes to change, but I feel that it is going to be kind of hard for me to transition from college. I'm dreading football season because I won't be in the fun, crazy student section anymore and I get so envious of all of my friends in the house when they talk about getting ready for rush and moving back in the house. I loved college...walking around campus, going to class and learning so many interesting things and well, just being in the environment of college life. I can't really talk to my friends or boyfriend about it because three out of my four best friends are taking a fifth year and the other is working abroad so they really don't understand. I just feel like I'm leaving this whole life and family behind. I know I can visit but I don't want to be one of those pathetic grads who comes back all the time.
Anyway, my question was if anyone else has felt that way or is feeling that way after graduation? I would feel so much better if I knew I wasn't the only one being crazy!

P.S. Don't worry...I'm not seriously depressed or anything but just kind of sad about this big change in my life and my Mom promises it will be better when I get a job!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through the same thing last year. So what did I do, I got a job on campus, applied to grad school and volunteer for absolutely everything my sisters will let me do as an alumna. I think i try to be around to much. But my sisters where really my second family and I was much closer to some of them then my first family. This year though I'm used to being out of school. You know what's really weird walking around campus seeing a new initiate who you don't know wearing your letters, this really freaked me out. As for Football I work for the athletic department so I still do all that, but you can too if you live close to school you can go as an alumni there's no reason you can't still go and support your school.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Oh, goody, someone else who knows how I feel! TriDeltaGal, you said just what I think all the time. It's really scary being an "adult," especially because I don't feel any more grown up! I'm substitute teaching now, but I'm going back to school next year...always said I wouldn't, but you know things look different after graduation, don't they?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:17 AM

I feel your pain.

It didn't really hit me until I started working full time. Before that, I had a part time job. It was still almost like being in college. I would stay out late and party without having to worry about my hangover being a poor career move.

My cousin is just entering his first year here at UCF. I'm so jealous. I would give anything to be a freshman again. In those days, I lived away from my parents but they still supported me monetarily. My only job was to go to class (occasionally) and maybe learn something. But biggest dilemma of the day was trying to figure out what I should wear to the social that night. Ahhh....those were the days...

I miss the late nights and the parties. There will never be a time in my life when I can hang out at the fraternity house until 4am on a Wednesday night. I mean, I could still do that but that would make me one of those grads. I remember laughing at those PC 95 and PC 94 people who would still come around that Fall of 1999 and try to relive their college glory days. I use to think, "Don't you have a job? Don't you have anything better to do than hang around a bunch of college kids?" I never realized how difficult it was for them. It's a big change going from having a ton of freedom to having a 40+ hour a week job. There's no more excuses. An employer won't accept, "I overslept" like a professor might. And you can no longer blame alcohol for being the cause of your problems. The parties you now go to will be the company Christmas party. And you better make sure you DON'T get drunk there....your co-workers won't love you the same way your sisters will after a night of drunken outbursts.

And this whole waking up at 7am thing is killing me. After 4 years of going to bed at the earliest at midnight, I feel like such a nerd! My roommate still has another semester and my boyfriend has until next spring. So, while they're out partying on a Tuesday night, I'm asleep because I have to be up early for an 8 hour day at work. Their parents still give them money while mine have wiped their hands clean of me.

It's good to know that there's others who feel the same way!

Last edited by ZTAngel; 08-09-2003 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohhh! I'm so glad that you all know what I am feeling! I still have several close friends still in the house and I want to be able to visit them a lot but I don't want to be perceived as one of "those grads" (ZTAngel...it was like you were taking the words out of my mouth...I feel exactly how you do) I was just talking to one of my close friends in the house, who is Social Chair, and as I was listening to her complain about fraternities not planning there social calenders yet even though its so close to school and I was like "Wow! That is not my life anymore...no more exchanges, formals, date parties, ordering Thai food at 3:00am while pulling an all-nighter and it freaked me out! I feel that there is this unspoken rule that after you graduate you need to sever all ties and I'm not like that especially so many of my best and close friends are still going to be there at UCLA and in the house and all living that life. AchtungBaby80, I plan to go back to school to but I know it won't be the same, I'll be one of those grads but not with one of those freaky roller backpacks ...by the way, I'm planning to sub to if I can't find a permanent job by September!

I can't tell you how good it is to know I'm not the only one that feels this way...You guys will have to be my college-to-adult transition support group since I will be on here a lot more especially when I get a job and have to burn 8 hours a day!
You guys are awesome!
Old 08-09-2003, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
I miss the late nights and the parties. There will never be a time in my life when I can hang out at the fraternity house until 4am on a Wednesday night. I mean, I could still do that but that would make me one of those grads.
The crummy thing is, though, I didn't get to do a lot of that stuff...I always had pretty heavy course loads and plus, I had a long-distance boyfriend who wouldn't have appreciated me hanging around fraternity houses and who I went to see every other weekend so I missed a bunch of parties and mixers. I just shrugged it off then, but now I wonder why on earth I didn't just do it while I had the chance because I certainly can't now! If I did, yep, I'd be "one of those grads." So I guess I'll just have to be content with serving the drinks at recruitment.

Also, do you all get tired of people asking you, "So, what are you going to do now?" When I say I'm a sub, they're like, "I know, but when are you getting a real job?" People, that is a real job! I get taxed, I have to be there at the crack of dawn, and I have to wear something other than jeans and a t-shirt, and my paycheck gets deposited directly into my bank account. But the way I see it, if I'm going back to school next year, why get another job that I'll just have to quit?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally get the "So what are you going to now?" question, like making it through four years of college doesn't allow me a little thinking time before I make a commitment on a career! Since I was History and Political Science double major, I have continuously received "So are you going into teaching?" like that is the only thing I could do! Ahhh...I suggest all of you undergrads delay the graduation process as long as possible because its a big, scary world out there! Have fun and enjoy it while it last!

Hootie...you should look into the large jewelry companies for jobs when you graduate like Tiffany's. In my months of searching for a job, I saw that Tiffany's offers Retail Management associate and Business Sales programs for recent grads. I think with your experience and educational background, you would totally fit what they were looking for. You have to be willing to relocate for the training process but you could try to get a position close to or in Nebraska. I had a family friend who did this and she said there is a lot of opportunity to move up in the company. Just a thought for you to ponder...
Here is the website:
http://www.tiffany.com/service/faq.asp?FAQ_TYPE=6&
Old 08-09-2003, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I graduated May 2002 and I felt the same thing. All of my close friends were still in college and so was my boyfriend. I couldn't complain to anyone because they wouldn't understand (just like you said). Anyway, here's what I did. First, I attended several sorority events with my chapter (and really helped boost the alumni participation level doing so). Then I joined the Baltimore Alum chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma to remain active. By joining the alum chapter, I was able to speak with other Phi Sigs and get through the hump of not being in school anymore. Next thing you know, I am being asked to advise a chapter at a nearby college...so I became active again with my sorority, just a different chapter. Not being in college anymore was hard to deal with at first, but then after listening to people complain about exams and papers, I didn't miss it anymore. I landed a real job in my field and I started making really good money. Yeah, I couldn't go out all the time and hang out with people like I did while in school, but I was making money!!!

At first, it is really hard to deal with the fact that you are no longer part of the college scene. But I assure you, after the fall semester, you will get used to it. And if you still miss it THAT much, there's always grad school!!!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TriDeltaGal

I can't tell you how good it is to know I'm not the only one that feels this way...You guys will have to be my college-to-adult transition support group since I will be on here a lot more especially when I get a job and have to burn 8 hours a day!
You guys are awesome!

Now that I have a job and I'm at the computer all day, I'm constantly on Greekchat. If you ever want to talk about getting old , just send me a PM.