GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,751
1 members and 1,750 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is my GPA acceptable? Does the sorority know my GPA for sure?

Okay so here's the deal:

I went through informal rush and recieved a verbal bid and have recieved informational items ("Bid Day" still to come). At the recruitment even we were asked to fill out a small paper including our gpa. I told one of the girls that I didn't know for sure and she said to just take a guess. I estimated my overall as a 2.6 but also put down my major gpa whih is about a 3.4 (partly to show that I'm not an academic moron; I just had tried one major for a long period and it tanked my overall). It turns out that I just checked my actual gpa and I forgot about an "Incomplete" grade that was changed just a few weeks ago to a "C" - which is why my current gpa is now a 2.48. So what I'm wondering is, since the sorority has already given me a bid does this mean that they have already verified my legitimate gpa and I am eligible to join or is there a chance that within the next few weeks/ before initiation that I will be dropped? I looked at the national page and see that I meet the national requirements of at least a 2.0 college gpa and a 2.5 high school gpa (3.2) I know then that I am okay there at least but I believe I've heard a 2.5 minimum. Is this set by the specific chapter and can there be cicumstances where in specific cases this is changed/overlooked/etc ?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

They should have verified your GPA prior to you pledging. If they didn't, it's their problem. They won't rescind your bid. HOWEVER, if you don't make grades before initiation, you won't be allowed to go through with the process. Pledging can be hard on your grades so make sure you work extra hard to keep them as high as you can.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
They should have verified your GPA prior to you pledging.
Doesn't sound like she's started pledging at all.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briseis View Post
Okay so here's the deal:

I went through informal rush and received a verbal bid and have recieved informational items ("Bid Day" still to come).
No, no, no.

If you haven't signed anything - you HAVEN'T received a bid. Even in informal rush, you sign a bid acceptance agreement.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, but with the official bid day around the corner if I sign something then, then would that mean that everything is okay? Out of curiosity why would they make calls about recieving a bid / seeing if you accept if it is not a "real" bid?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Be upfront and tell them your real GPA. Save yourself and the chapter some heartache and make sure that your GPA meets their requirements. If you aren't eligible, trying to sneak in will just piss everyone off once they inevitably find out. You will be better off being honest. If you are below their cutoff, they will likely offer you a bid once you bring your grades up.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not trying to sneak in. I gave an honest opinion of what I thought my gpa was and I now know it's lower than estimated. I will talk directly with one or some of the girls soon. Am I right though in my research that according to the national requirements I am alright and that a specific chapter can make rare exceptions?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to sneak in. I gave an honest opinion of what I thought my gpa was and I now know it's lower than estimated. I will talk directly with one or some of the girls soon. Am I right though in my research that according to the national requirements I am alright and that a specific chapter can make rare exceptions?
Only the chapter can tell you that. We do not know. You must ask them this question. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
National requirements are the floor. Each chapter can have higher standards, so you need to tell them your real GPA. It may be okay, but it may not be. Good luck, but we can't tell you that this will be okay.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. Most Chapters make you bring a copy of your transcripts to the first event in an informal situation. Sometimes Chapters list their GPA requirements on there web page. They also might be listed on the Panhellenic web site. If you don't want to beat around the bush ask the recruitment chair. She should know the Chapter GPA requirements. Also, the Chapter will only care about the overall GPA because that is what is used to figure out the Chapter GPA.

Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Interesting. Most Chapters make you bring a copy of your transcripts to the first event in an informal situation.
Not every chapter - I've never heard of this, and I've worked with several chapters on COB.
Once you sign up with the Panhellenic or Greek Life office, you sign something that gives permission for that entity to check out your grades. But in COB, you don't have to sign anything to go to a function. However, you DO have to sign to be issued a bid, and that's when you would sign that permission form.

I agree - be honest and let them know the situation.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am glad that you are not trying to sneak in or give the wrong answer about your GPA. It would be tragic for you to go through a new member period, be initiated, pay lots of money and THEN they find out that your grades are a problem. You can be dismissed from membership for grades AFTER initiation. It isn't like you just have to make grades once to get a bid and that is the end.