GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,181
0 members and 2,181 guests
No Members online

Old 10-22-2004, 02:28 PM

Revealing secrets of defunct/absorbed GLOs

As many of you know, I joined a local sorority, Sigma Iota Phi, during my freshman year of college. During my sophomore year, that local sorority became a chapter of AEPhi. Most of the sisters of Sigma Iota Phi, myself included, became AEPhis at that time.

A couple of weeks ago, I got together with one of my sisters - one of the founders of the local. Let's call her "Carol". It was just the two of us and our husbands. Her husband "Bob" is a fraternity alum. We got onto the topic of GLOs, and specifically of SigIPhi. In the course of the conversation, Bob said something that leads me to believe that Carol may have told him some of the secrets of SigIPhi.

Even though SigIPhi has effectively ceased to exist, the idea that Carol might have shared those secrets still bothers me. I consider the vows I took as a SigIPhi still to be in force. I look on SigIPhi as a bond shared among the twelve of us who were SigIPhis, in addition to our bond as AEPhis (which of course is much farther reaching). And the idea that those secrets may have been revealed outside our circle rubs me the wrong way.

Is it "ok" to reveal the secrets of a GLO that has become defunct or been absorbed into another GLO? (I'm not referring to mergers, where aspects of both GLOs' rituals are combined and preserved; I'm talking about situations where a GLO is completely absorbed by another GLO, or where a GLO totally dies out.) I don't believe it is, and I've never breathed a word of SigIPhi's secrets, even to other AEPhis. Am I just being silly?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2004, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

An oath to keep a secret is still an oath, regardless of the organization to which you promised it. And some regard an oath more sacred than others. Clearly, you regard an oath more sacred than does your friend.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

An oath is an oath.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-22-2004, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

An obligation always remains in force, whether your membership may cease.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 10-22-2004, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings,

A great question. I am a member of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. Back in the late 1930s, Theta Kappa Nu merged with us. It was agreed at the time that the TKN Ritual would never again be done in its entirety. However, it was also agreed that the TKN Ritual would be simplified and thereafter used as our Associate Membership (pledge) Ritual. The Lambda Chi Alpha AM (pledge)Pin and the Theta Kappa Nu Active Badge were also combined into a new AM pin. In a very real sense, every member of Lambda Chi Alpha has worn the TKN Badge and participated in the TKN Ritual as an Associate Member.

Our AM Ceremony is a public ceremony. If interested, you might want to talk to some local Lambda Chis to see if you can get an invitation!

So, in our case, the secrets of TKN were revealed but not in the same format or in the detail of the original Ritual.

I always thought that this was a wonderful way of preserving TKN within the Bond of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity.

Best Wishes,

Mike Raymond, ZUZ
Old 10-22-2004, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
An oath is an oath.
Exactly. This friend has no honor.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you sure she hasn't told AEPhi secrets?

Some spouses feel like that's okay.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah i agree with you, i'd be pretty mad too! i think you have a very valid reason to be mad... just like everyone else has said, an oath is an oath!

diokete hupsala
Old 10-22-2004, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I think that's really interesting, because I know when the local at my alma mater decided to go national, they had to turn over their ritual to their new parent organization. I could tell that they were a little reluctant, because it was THEIRS, but I guess it was so they could approve it for an Inspiration week-like activity so the new chapter could perhaps still show it to their new members, combining the new tradition with the old.

I think I'd probably be upset too. You make a great point that even though you have your sisters and national org, that old ritual is a bond that you share with the women who helped you found your chapter.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 10-22-2004, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

As many said, an oath is still and oath.

Brother Raymond is absolutly correct. 1939, TKN merged with LXA and is still the largest in Greek History.

AS many things were interegrated within LXA, it is still important to many Brothers of Both LXA and TKN.

For those who do not know, The Coat of Arms, New Associate Pin, New Associate Initiation were tailored to this fact.

Is it important, I would just ask you if your were on the other end, what would you think?

Each Greek Organization is special and so are all of the information for them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-22-2004, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docroc67
Greetings,

A great question. I am a member of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. Back in the late 1930s, Theta Kappa Nu merged with us. It was agreed at the time that the TKN Ritual would never again be done in its entirety. However, it was also agreed that the TKN Ritual would be simplified and thereafter used as our Associate Membership (pledge) Ritual. The Lambda Chi Alpha AM (pledge)Pin and the Theta Kappa Nu Active Badge were also combined into a new AM pin. In a very real sense, every member of Lambda Chi Alpha has worn the TKN Badge and participated in the TKN Ritual as an Associate Member.

Our AM Ceremony is a public ceremony. If interested, you might want to talk to some local Lambda Chis to see if you can get an invitation!

So, in our case, the secrets of TKN were revealed but not in the same format or in the detail of the original Ritual.

I always thought that this was a wonderful way of preserving TKN within the Bond of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity.

Best Wishes,

Mike Raymond, ZUZ
Good call Mike, but as for the most inner secrets of TKN, which I have come across in my membership over time, I would only reveal them to initiated brothers of LXA. I have the same respect for TKN as I do for LXA, and wouldnt disrespect TKN by revealing any additional secrets not already revealed.

A secret is a secret and an oath is an oath.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd probably be irked too, but I think saying she has "no Honor" is going too far.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Lifesaver,

You are absolutely right, "a secret is a secret and an oath is an oath." It is a matter of honor, trust, loyalty and respect for the traditions of the group to keep your word. I am afraid that too many have forgotten the importance of keeping commitments. A fraternity and sorority can help young people gain a better understanding of how important these attributes are to maintaining a civilized society.

Mike Raymond, ZUZ
Old 10-22-2004, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
An obligation always remains in force, whether your membership may cease.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:42 PM

I know this is slightly off topic but Kappa Phi's rituals are technically public, BUT out of respect for my organization I wouldn't go around shouting them out to everyone who asked.

Lakers Nation.