GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,314
0 members and 2,314 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadyas View Post
I completely understand why sororities would pick a freshman instead of a junior, they do have more time to contribute, but I also think that it depends on the girl as well, I feel like I would be a great part in a sorority.
I think it depends on where you rush. I thought that I would be an excellent candidate for any chapter regardless of my class status since I had TONS of on campus involvement and awards to my name. Nope- I got dropped just the same as all the other juniors.

Quote:
And as far as the transition, I am not really understanding what you guys mean, here's the thing, yes, I'm in college, however, I do feel very grown up for my age, by no means do I go out and get sloppy drunk or do anything unapproperiate. I would love to give alot to a sorority, and help out in any way that I can.
Let me give some examples... many chapters require sisters to do study hours in the library- this was certainly a shock for me. I do study (I'm an engineering major, I have to! ) but sometimes there will be weeks when I just don't need to study, so requiring me to do that at a specific place was weird for me.

Another example is personal appearance- MANY chapters on my campus require you to look your best anytime you are wearing anything that bears the chapter's name. This made me sad because sometimes I would just want to throw on one of my favorite chapter shirts and some sweats to go run some errands. It's made me more conscious of how I am representing the chapter, but I also feel like I should be able to wear a t-shirt if I want!

And finally- everything you do or say can be related back to your chapter. We all do it - "omg did you hear what that XYZ did/said???" You have to start censoring yourself- which is what I hate the most!

Basically, it's all about adapting to things that maybe you never thought about before, or changing things that are your second nature.

Quote:
I'm not going to lie, my GPA isn't great, I've been trying to balance school and work with no social life, but I want to do better, and I feel like a sorority would help me out alot.
To be completely honest, if you are having trouble balancing school and work and "no social life", I don't see how a sorority would fit in- or furthermore, help you out. A sororotiy really only adds MORE to your schedule- I like to think of it as adding a 3 or 4 credit hour class to your schedule. And- if your GPA is low, the only thing your sorority may help you out with is study hours... some girls in my chapter have to do 20 hours a week!!! And then you don't have any time for social activities.

I'm not really sure what you are seeking from a sorority-- friendship? popularity? do you just want to wear letters? You should really think about this before you rush, because one thing that chapters can not stand is when they bid a girl and said girl gives 0 time to the chapter. Like I said- it's give and take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
ETA: I think Faith4Keep was advising you that as an older student, you would be one of the oldest members in the chapter. And that chapter officers younger than you, possibly underclassmen, would be enforcing sorority rules -- and for you to be prepared for that.
Yes, this is partially what I meant. What I was trying to say was, if you like to go out to the local bar and dance the night away, and this is something you've always done... you may be surprised when all of a sudden chapter leadership is keeping a close eye on you and questioning your activities. I'm trying to think of more examples, but generally I have had to do a lot of lifestyle censoring, sometimes altering, so that my chapter won't get upset with me and I really start exemplifying what a chapter member should be!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM

I think what she's meaning to say is if she joined a sorority with enforced study hours and a calendar that is planned out, it would help - at least that's how I take it. Not everyone is adept at doing this on their own.

And whether or not one has a social life has nothing to do with what you can offer a social sorority. You don't get a bid because you throw parties or have a ton of boyfriends or are at the bar 6 nights a week, at least you shouldn't. That is not what "social" means.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think what she's meaning to say is if she joined a sorority with enforced study hours and a calendar that is planned out, it would help - at least that's how I take it. Not everyone is adept at doing this on their own.

And whether or not one has a social life has nothing to do with what you can offer a social sorority. You don't get a bid because you throw parties or have a ton of boyfriends or are at the bar 6 nights a week, at least you shouldn't. That is not what "social" means.
By junior year, I imagine most people would be able to self-motivate in terms of studying. Unless the OP is the type of person who does better under pressure, adding pledging to the load might be too much.

As far as having a social life - I never said that one needs to be partying or having "tons of boyfriends". The OP said that she has no social life, that she works, goes to school, and has a not-so-great GPA. Social means - to me - able to hang out and communicate with others. Does she have friends at all?

OP - people (ie. sororities) are looking to find out more about you. You must have interests, dreams, and hobbies? Think about what you might want to share during rush. Do you enjoy books? Movies? Sports? Do you work out? Sing? Any interests outside school and work?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
As far as having a social life - I never said that one needs to be partying or having "tons of boyfriends". The OP said that she has no social life, that she works, goes to school, and has a not-so-great GPA. Social means - to me - able to hang out and communicate with others. Does she have friends at all?
That to me isn't what she meant by a "social life." That's just, well, a life. If she was such a freakazoid that she couldn't communicate with others, I doubt she could hold down a job.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That to me isn't what she meant by a "social life." That's just, well, a life. If she was such a freakazoid that she couldn't communicate with others, I doubt she could hold down a job.
I took it to mean that she didn't spend time doing much other than school and work. She might socialize with people in class or at work, but not spend time with other people outside of those.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
I took it to mean that she didn't spend time doing much other than school and work. She might socialize with people in class or at work, but not spend time with other people outside of those.
Ok, so I am not the only one who read it that way.

I hope that the original poster comes back. Maybe we can help her figure out some things she hasn't thought of.